PDA

View Full Version : Looking for thoughts.

Boz330
11-22-2007, 01:19 PM
My eyes are getting so bad that the 500 meter Rams are damn near invisable, just a black blur and not a good blur. And even the other targets aren't great. My scores have dropped dramatically in the last year.
I'm thinking about going to a Malcom style scope. My thoughts are that I would like to get a high wall in 40-70SS with a single set trigger. With a scope I'm thinking that length of barrel isn't critical since no advantage with sight radius. I would also like to be able to hunt with this rifle as well so I don't particularly want to go to a max weight rifle.
Questions that I'm looking for comments on;
Length of barrel,
Length of scope,
Sliding scope or fixed,
Anything else I might be missing.
If you have been there and done this please let me hear your ideas.

Thanks
Bob

montana_charlie
11-22-2007, 04:14 PM
As we get older, it is usually our near vision that goes bad. Do you already wear perscription glasses for long distances?

Have you had your eyes checked for cataracts, lately?
That cataract surgery they do (today) did wonders for my wife, allowing her to dump the prescription lenses she has worn all her life.
CM

EDK
11-22-2007, 09:31 PM
The two names I hear are RHO and MVA (Montana Vintage Arms.) The MVAs seem to be the most popular for the serious black powder cartridge rifle shooters.

While I do not have a scope yet, I had Shiloh drill, tap and mount bases for a MVA on my 50/90 when they built it. All I have to do is come up with some "yankee dollars" and install the 'scope with four bolts. (At 59, I think the scope isn't too far in the future.) The research I've done told me that was the way to go and save a lot of future headaches. I have yet to hear of anyone slamming the MVAs.

There are other brands out there, but I haven't heard much. When you've put $2500 and up in a rifle, the sights aren't the place to economize. A good front sight and tang sight are going to run you in the $700 range--the scope and mounts are approximately $950 plus mounting fee.

If you haven't been there, go to shilohrifle.com/forums and do searches on scopes. There ought to be plenty of information for you. Good luck

:castmine: :Fire:

nitroproof
11-22-2007, 11:35 PM

The Leatherwood Malcolm 3X "Short" scope is not suited to BPCR. I mounted one on my .38/55 Whitney roller. The rear scope base is a 1" diameter ring and the scope is 3/4" diameter giving only a max of 1/4" adjustment. I have mine centered at 100 yds. so I have 1/8" all around.

Various height scope bases would work but would be impractical.

Full lenth scopes use a ladder type rear mount allowing eough vertical movement from pigs to rams and beyond.

I like my Malcolm short scope, doing mostly 100 yd target shooting. It would make a great hunting scope for say 125-150 yard shots unless mounted on something flatter shooting like a .30/40 Krag, .22 Hornet, Etc...

crossfireoops
11-23-2007, 03:29 AM

The Leatherwood Malcolm 3X "Short" scope is not suited to BPCR. I mounted one on my .38/55 Whitney roller. The rear scope base is a 1" diameter ring and the scope is 3/4" diameter giving only a max of 1/4" adjustment. I have mine centered at 100 yds. so I have 1/8" all around.

Various height scope bases would work but would be impractical.

Full lenth scopes use a ladder type rear mount allowing eough vertical movement from pigs to rams and beyond.

I like my Malcolm short scope, doing mostly 100 yd target shooting. It would make a great hunting scope for say 125-150 yard shots unless mounted on something flatter shooting like a .30/40 Krag, .22 Hornet, Etc...

Your bases are to far apart, for that short a scope.

Mounting these systems is not a "By Guess / by gosh deal"....it you're not using correct tables of subtention, and Tram values of the scope mount , you will be well, and truely screwed.

Please give us the center to center distance on the mount pictured.....looks to this Cowboy to be nearabouts 10"+

GTC

Boz330
11-23-2007, 10:39 AM
As we get older, it is usually our near vision that goes bad. Do you already wear perscription glasses for long distances?

Have you had your eyes checked for cataracts, lately?
That cataract surgery they do (today) did wonders for my wife, allowing her to dump the prescription lenses she has worn all her life.
CM

I have worn glasses since I was 3. I am far sighted and with glasses my rt eye was 20-15, and left is only correctable to 20-40. My eye doctor is a good friend and is a surgen. He told me a number of years ago that I have cataracts, which is one of the reasons that our vision gets worse with age, but not to the point of surgery. I'm thinking that I am getting close though.
The interocular lenses are really coming around and I have read some good things about them, but the idea of having my eyes cut on makes me really nervous. Would I like to see like I could 10 years ago, you bet, but the long term effects are what concern me also. Of course the other problem is that I have to get a flight physical every year and I'm not sure how that will be affected by the interocular lenses. That is the other thing I would hate to give up.
I guess I might be better off putting the rifle money into my eyes. I really love shooting irons, just don't want to give up shooting and figured the scope would keep me in it.
Guess I'll drop my friend an e-mail and get his thoughts on this as well.
Still interested in comments though. There is a lot of knowledge on this board, might as well take advantage of it.

Thanks
Bob

nitroproof
11-23-2007, 11:53 AM
GTC~

Basey spacy is 8.0".

"Mounting these systems is not a "By Guess / by gosh deal"....it you're not using correct tables of subtention, and Tram values of the scope mount , you will be well, and truely screwed."

Never knew tables existed... This is the first type of this scope I've ever owned.

The Leatherwood Malcolm rear mount knobs only have "tick" marks every 45 degrees, no micrometer marking or clicks. It's crude to say the least... Counting turns is the only way to repeat a setting. The information that came with with the scope is useless.

I've noticed the adjustment bottoms out before it actually reaching the ring, so just for arguments sake lets say I have 0.15" of useful adjustment, so I just did some rudimentary calculations:

Solving for "X" (available adjustment at 100 yds)
Rear ring = 0.15"
100 yds = 3600"
Scope base spacing of 8", 6" & 4"

8" = 67"
6" = 90"
4" = 155"

Soooo.... Moving the front scope base 2" closer will give me 50% more available adjustment.

Thanks!

montana_charlie
11-23-2007, 03:10 PM
He told me a number of years ago that I have cataracts,

The interocular lenses are really coming around and I have read some good things about them, but the idea of having my eyes cut on makes me really nervous.
Because you have known for 'a number of years' that you are developing cataracts, you have had time to get more 'nervous' than most.

My wife found out (rather) 'suddenly' and accepted the recommendation for surgery as 'the only way to prevent eventual blindness'.
Sure, she was nervous about getting her eyes cut on, but the alternative was too debilitating to consider.

She had both eyes done, about a month apart. Now, she keeps some of those dime store reading glasses scattered around the house...because she has the 'old age' thing like all of us...but her actual vision is essentially perfect.
It is certainly better than ever before, after a lifetime of continually changing prescriptions.

The surgery should correct the condition you have had since you were three...and then you will probably see those rams better than ever before.
CM

sundog
11-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Bob, my wife had both eyes lens replaced a couple months ago. They did hers a week apart, since the first one healed so fast. Result? Better than 20-20 in both, but assistance still required for up close/reading. Worth it? Durn tootin'!

Boz330
11-23-2007, 05:22 PM
There is supposed to be a lens now that is multi distance. I've worn glasses all my life so that isn't an issue as far as bothering me. Just like to be able to see those critters. If I miss because I screw up is one thing but missing because I can't see them sort of takes the fun out of shooting. I like to hear the bang but a clang to go with it is even better.

Bob

Freightman
11-23-2007, 06:48 PM
I had one done one year and the other done the next, before I had them done I did well to see the black ring at 100 yds after I had completed the cataract surgery I have not had to change my prescription for anything but reading the far sight is 20/20 and I only use plain shooting glasses for shooting. Wonderful thing to be able to see with the youngsters.

floodgate
11-23-2007, 09:33 PM
BOZ330:

My wife and I both had both our eyes done for cataracts over ten years ago,and they are holding up just fine. You can specify the focal length for the implants - I had mine set at about 32"-36", but consult with yur ophthalmologist about how you use your eyes the most. I need bifocals for close-up and distance, but in good light I can get away with either without my glasses - I COULD even drive safely by day without, though I do not. I DO suggest checking with 2 or 3 Doctors, and getting references from their previous "customers". One of my sister's eyes ended up with some distortion, but that was ten years back. The procedure contines to improve. We've felt no need for Lasik treatment, and we've seen NO deterioration of our implants (color changes, etc.) over time. Much better than going around asking "Who smeared mayonnaise on my glasses?!?"

floodgate

crossfireoops
11-23-2007, 09:48 PM
NItro Proof, ....hres a kinda rough table of subtentions, ....via MVA

Link: http://www.montanavintagearms.com/minutes_angle.html

GTC

nitroproof
11-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Boz330-

Sorry for hijacking your thread, hope you get your vision corrected.

GTC-

I printed out the MOA chart and saved it to my Whitney files.

The scope's great but the mounts are just plain awful :rolleyes:

Here's a picture of the crude rear scope mount:

http://ironsightinc.com/images/large_malcolm_short.png

Thanks...

nitroproof
11-24-2007, 11:13 AM

A quality replacement rear scope mount...

I guess if I want to get into serious competition this is the way to go :bigsmyl2:

I'll have to start saving my pennies!

Boz330
11-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Boz330-

Sorry for hijacking your thread, hope you get your vision corrected.

GTC-

I printed out the MOA chart and saved it to my Whitney files.

The scope's great but the mounts are just plain awful :rolleyes:

Here's a picture of the crude rear scope mount:

http://ironsightinc.com/images/large_malcolm_short.png

Thanks...

Not a problem with me. A lot of the hijacks lead to some interesting or humorous information.
As I said before I'm interested in folks thoughts. No sense reinventing the wheel when there might be someone out there with the answer that will work best for me. I have an e-mail in to my friend that is the eye surgen to get his thoughts on the issue.

Bob

4060MAY
11-27-2007, 11:09 AM
BOZ
my eyes aren't as good as before, 200yds is still OK but Rams at 500M are tough.
Bit the bullet and bought an MVA scope and started enjoying the matches again, you can see the hits at the ram bank.

nitroproof
11-28-2007, 04:59 PM
4060MAY~

What a classy setup! Knock down those 500m rans with style!:mrgreen:

MtGun44
11-28-2007, 11:37 PM
My Dad is a pilot, had no trouble with FAA physical after cataract surgery.

Bill

Boz330
12-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Well the eye doc said that the cataracts haven't progressed to the surgery stage. I've got new lenses on the way. I met all of the standards but it sure isn't as easy as it used to be. Next stop Medical Flight Examiner.
I think that I'm going to at least get a scope anyway. Those big round paper targets aren't to bad but the steel critters are tough.

Bob