PDA

View Full Version : Christmas highjacked

oldred
12-10-2013, 08:34 AM
It's been getting worse every year but yesterday was the worst yet when I heard an ad on the radio that had in the background a rendition of "T'was the night before the holidays, when all through the house, etc"! T'was the night before the HOLIDAYS??????? [smilie=b:

dilly
12-10-2013, 08:49 AM
It's a two front attack. On the one hand, Christmas is being attacked in order to promote a wider range if "tolerance." On the other, it's being commercialized so heavily that it is hardly even a Christian holiday anymore.

jcwit
12-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Yesterday wife and I were out shopping and I was wishing the clerk as leaving to have a Happy Holida--------Whow wait a second------I changed it just in time, I told her, there is only ONE reason for the season, and to have a Very Merry CHRISTmas.

And to everyone here A Very Merry Christmas.

CastingFool
12-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Yesterday wife and I were out shopping and I was wishing the clerk as leaving to have a Happy Holida--------Whow wait a second------I changed it just in time, I told her, there is only ONE reason for the season, and to have a Very Merry CHRISTmas.

And to everyone here A Very Merry Christmas.

Amen to that!

jaysouth
12-10-2013, 08:48 PM
This year, things are going to change for our family. Not ardent church goers (we belong and contribute to one) We are going to take the grandchildren to Christmas eve services as the main event of the season, share gifts on Christmas day that we made ourselves, and end the day with a dinner in which we dress up and each person helps cook.

No more mountains of christmas wrappings in the living room and parts of gifts abandoned within a week. I am thinking of hiring a maid to serve dinner and cleanup. That would certainly make it a special day for the women and reinforce the special nature of the day to the children.

One more thing, the tree is six feet tall, natural and decorated with items that we have made ourselves.

Down South
12-10-2013, 08:59 PM
When the store clerks say happy holidays to me after checking out, I always turn and say Merry Christmas! Most of the time they will make a come back and say Merry Christmas.
I'm so sick of this political correctness I could puke.

472x1B/A
12-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Around here, when we go out somewhere I say Merry Christmas, I get a response like they are hunkering down as a drone taking aim or a picture and say happy holidays then I come back again with a Merry Christmas!

perotter
12-10-2013, 10:04 PM
When they say "Happy holidays" to me, I reply with "Have a blessed Christmas". I have seen a few that looked upset when I've said it to them. But, more are very happy have it said to them.

To everyone here, have blessed Christmas.

xs11jack
12-10-2013, 10:44 PM
So far in O Fallon, Wentzville and Warrenton, everyone that I have wished Merry Christmas to has said the same back to me. I try to use the greeting before the other person says something, and it seems to work.
Ole Jack

Piedmont
12-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Was Christmas ever right? If someone knows the true history of what we celebrate I would like to hear it. I know all about Jesus, that isn't what I am talking about. It is widely conceded he was not born at this time of year. Did the early church celebrate his birthday? If so, why isn't it in Acts or any of the epistles?

So Christmas is celebrated right about the time of the winter solstice. That's convenient. Then Santa and Christmas trees and other garbage. And it is commercially the biggest time of the year.

Seriously if anyone knows at what century and by whom all of this happened I would like to learn.

GabbyM
12-11-2013, 12:56 AM
They , as in Communist, can only take Christmas away from people who do not believe in Christ in the first place.

Vast majority of people in the USA believe. Many perhaps in a passive way but not to many would deny our belief in Christ and God. Communist only account for a little over 20% of our population. According to some who I believe. They have a vastly disproportionally strong voice. This is only because the work at it very hard. They hold down government jobs paying $130 thousand dollars a year where they actually work about 200 hours a year. Rest of the time they come after us hard working people to help there minions rip our money a little slice at a time. Five dollars here a hundred dollars there until we are bled out.
Just think about why we can run a business that grosses over a million dollars a year then can't even cut loose $40 thousand for a personal income. We run one of those. Which is why on a given bad night I may come unglued. The fact these dirt bags do not believe in God is not any big surprise. We simply need to out shout them. We have the numbers and the power. Recall the Polish People under Pope John Paul bringing down the USSR. If we don't win our fight it's only because we never tried.

Any oppressor will tell you straight up. If they won't fight for it I'll take it. Our forefathers of the USA wrote to us that any generation who did not fight for freedom would lose it. This modern 60's flower child bull **** peace and love is a subscription to slavery. Who was behind that? Oh yes the communist. Peace and love. Submit to our master. Swim in the pool of Nervana.

Get right into it not to many Americans buy into that drug induced dream.

GabbyM
12-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Was Christmas ever right? If someone knows the true history of what we celebrate I would like to hear it. I know all about Jesus, that isn't what I am talking about. It is widely conceded he was not born at this time of year. Did the early church celebrate his birthday? If so, why isn't it in Acts or any of the epistles?

So Christmas is celebrated right about the time of the winter solstice. That's convenient. Then Santa and Christmas trees and other garbage. And it is commercially the biggest time of the year.

Seriously if anyone knows at what century and by whom all of this happened I would like to learn.

We celebrate Christmas at this time of year. Because it's when we can. Agriculture dictates when we have time to relax.
Modern society is not so tightly tied to agriculture. IIRC our modern calendar was not in use at the time of Christ berth. I may be mistaken there. But whatever. We chose a time to celebrate. Pretty much when we have time to spare. I do a little farming. My equipment is in the shed waiting on Spring. So now it's time to celebrate Christmas. That simple.

The Star passes over at various times of the year. But then we don’t know what star that was for sure. I for sure never lost any sleep over it .

GabbyM
12-11-2013, 01:13 AM
God Bless America.

plmitch
12-11-2013, 01:21 AM
They , as in Communist, can only take Christmas away from people who do not believe in Christ in the first place.

Vast majority of people in the USA believe. Many perhaps in a passive way but not to many would deny our belief in Christ and God. Communist only account for a little over 20% of our population. According to some who I believe. They have a vastly disproportionally strong voice. This is only because the work at it very hard. They hold down government jobs paying $130 thousand dollars a year where they actually work about 200 hours a year. Rest of the time they come after us hard working people to help there minions rip our money a little slice at a time. Five dollars here a hundred dollars there until we are bled out.
Just think about why we can run a business that grosses over a million dollars a year then can't even cut loose $40 thousand for a personal income. We run one of those. Which is why on a given bad night I may come unglued. The fact these dirt bags do not believe in God is not any big surprise. We simply need to out shout them. We have the numbers and the power. Recall the Polish People under Pope John Paul bringing down the USSR. If we don't win our fight it's only because we never tried.

Any oppressor will tell you straight up. If they won't fight for it I'll take it. Our forefathers of the USA wrote to us that any generation who did not fight for freedom would lose it. This modern 60's flower child bull **** peace and love is a subscription to slavery. Who was behind that? Oh yes the communist. Peace and love. Submit to our master. Swim in the pool of Nervana.

Get right into it not to many Americans buy into that drug induced dream.

Thanks for that bit of Christmas cheer.

oldred
12-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Plmitch CHRISTmas is a holiday celebrating the birth of Christ and the exact date does not matter a whit! It is and always has been about Christ and it is and always has been a Christian holiday it's just that lately some want to highjack this holiday and turn it into something else, anything else other than what it is! If you aren't a Christian that's your choice and I am not about to start preaching to you I'm just trying to explain that this holiday was created by Christians to celebrate the birth of Christ and that's the only reason for it's being. If non-believers don't want to celebrate Christmas that's fine just don't try to take the meaning out of it for those that do, basically what these PC activists are trying to do is tell Christians "we want to celebrate your holiday but we want you to do it our way"!

If you want to create a "Winter Solstice" holiday then have at it, pick a day and celebrate away and I promise I won't try to change the name and/or meaning of it!

Down South
12-11-2013, 08:24 AM
IIRC our modern calendar was not in use at the time of Christ berth.
I was under the impression that the birth of Christ birthed the modern calendar. Don't we track time in BC & AD?

oldred
12-11-2013, 09:37 AM
As I said before it doesn't matter a whit what day was chosen, it could have been July 10, it's just a tradition that we celebrate the birth on that date and it's been that way for hundreds of years but now the PC do-gooders come along and tell us "we are going to celebrate too but you are going to do it our way, we don't believe so you will have to change your holiday to Winter Solstice"!

Merry CHRISTmas everyone!!!!!!!

w5pv
12-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you

w5pv
12-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Merry christmas to one and all

Oreo
12-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Who's telling who how to celebrate? Just because so much of the population and institutions get it wrong doesn't mean you or I have to. If they want to do it wrong they can explain it to the birthday boy himself when their time comes. Not my problem. We still put a nativity under the tree and a star on top at my house and that's not going to change because some yahoo at the mall was told by corporate to wish me a happy "holiday". It sure won't change because most of our politicians are fixing to burn in hell.

country gent
12-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Its not just the stores and groups working religion out, Its the rudness taking over in the stores streets and sidewalks, its the [pure meanness taking over, and its the corporate crudness to try and sell that last item. After the Kmarts add the other night I wont be doing buisness there this year. I have watched it go downhill for many years. Fights people trampled black friday sales. I am leagally disabled now and I see notice these things much more than most probably. Useed to be people would pick up there pace a little to open the door for the guy with the cane, Now Ive had them dodge thru after Ive opened it almost knocking me over.

GabbyM
12-11-2013, 12:53 PM
I was under the impression that the birth of Christ birthed the modern calendar. Don't we track time in BC & AD?

Well the Hebrew calendar is still in use today. Since Christ was a Jew I’d suppose if his date of birth was written it would have been with that calendar. I’ve never laid eyes on a Hebrew calendar. Don’t even know if it has 365 days to the year. Regardless there is not date recorded that survived the years. Easter is set to some reference to star positions. Team at the Vatican figures that one out with a complex system.

Our modern calendar now references BCE (before the common era). Which of course is a PC modification so Christ name need not slip between non believers lips. Least they burst into flames.

This year Jewish Hanukkah was on Thanksgiving. It won't happen again for almost 80,000 years. Thursday November 2013 was Thanksgiving and the first full day of Hanukkah.

jcwit
12-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Its not just the stores and groups working religion out, Its the rudness taking over in the stores streets and sidewalks, its the [pure meanness taking over, and its the corporate crudness to try and sell that last item. After the Kmarts add the other night I wont be doing buisness there this year. I have watched it go downhill for many years. Fights people trampled black friday sales. I am leagally disabled now and I see notice these things much more than most probably. Useed to be people would pick up there pace a little to open the door for the guy with the cane, Now Ive had them dodge thru after Ive opened it almost knocking me over.

I find almost the complete opposite. Wife & I just got back from some shopping in Middlebury & Shipshewana. While going into AND out of the stores in Shipshe a young fellow happened to hold the door for both of us. While shopping I had a friendly chat with an Air Force Vet, and a young fellow (30's), while checking out. Very pleasant experience all the way around.

snuffy
12-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Whenever I get one of those "happy Holidays" from a sales person, I reply hey it's Christs birthday, merry Christmas! If it P.O.'s him/her, so be it!

There's no doubt the PC crowd has it in for changing Christmas into some "winter break" like from school or college.

dbosman
12-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Hebrew year is currently 5774
Chinese year is either 4711 or 4710 or 4650
Islam year is 1434

jcwit
12-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Hebrew year is currently 5774
Chinese year is either 4711 or 4710 or 4650
Islam year is 1434

May all be, but this year is 2013.

Boyscout
12-11-2013, 05:48 PM
I always figured Christmas should be celebrated on April 15. Mary and Joseph were forced to go to Bethlehem to be part of the census and pay their taxes to the dictatorial Roman Government. What better time to celebrate Christ birth than on tax day. Doubt I'll get too many people to go along with in change the date.