PDA

View Full Version : Chicken finally popped out of the shell this morning!

bikerbeans
12-09-2013, 02:54 PM
I friend told me that a wildcat or new chambering doesn't exist until there is fireformed casings. Well the 24ga rifled slug gun isn't finished but it did bark 4 times this morning. The load shot in this gun was a Shiloh 365g 58 cal minie, loaded over H110 in a BPI 24ga 2.5" Hull. The petals were cut off a BPI 24ga wad and a (1) 24ga 1/8" nitro card was under the minie. The minie was cast with WW lead and air cooled, with a driving band dia. of 0.582".

The gun had a rear sight and no front site so no test of accuracy. The holes in OSB were round, but range was less than 20 yards. The gun is supposed to have a 1:66 twist, so much testing will be needed. This shotgun is a converted 58cal H&R Huntsman MZ. When completed will have a functioning spring powered extractor, scope base and 4x optics of some type.

BB

mikeym1a
12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
I friend told me that a wildcat or new chambering doesn't exist until there is fireformed casings. Well the 24ga rifled slug gun isn't finished but it did bark 4 times this morning. The load shot in this gun was a Shiloh 365g 58 cal minie, loaded over H110 in a BPI 24ga 2.5" Hull. The petals were cut off a BPI 24ga wad and a (1) 24ga 1/8" nitro card was under the minie. The minie was cast with WW lead and air cooled, with a driving band dia. of 0.582".

The gun had a rear sight and no front site so no test of accuracy. The holes in OSB were round, but range was less than 20 yards. The gun is supposed to have a 1:66 twist, so much testing will be needed. This shotgun is a converted 58cal H&R Huntsman MZ. When completed will have a functioning spring powered extractor, scope base and 4x optics of some type.

BB

Neat! Please post more pics. How long is the barrel? What load will you be shooting? :D

cpileri
12-09-2013, 07:06 PM
I love it!

bikerbeans
12-09-2013, 07:46 PM
mike,

With the very slow 1:66 twist I am going to go with light and short boolits. Right now that is limited to .575 lee RBs (285g) and 58 cal Shiloh minies (365g). Since I haven't found any 24ga load data, I am using 1 oz, 28ga loads which should keep me on the light side of things. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can finish this shotgun. I will setup a chrony and do a proper load workup. This gauge shotgun is legal for deer in Ohio so my goal will be less than 4 MOA @ 100 yards with a PBZ of 125 yards or better. To get the range I want I will need to push velocity to around 1,500 fps. I will try and get real pics. My son gave me a digital camera I just haven't taken the time to learn how to use it.

BB

bikerbeans
12-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Quick update. Had to find a no.9 tapered pin reamer to "improve" the throat. We cut the chamber with a carbide tool on a lathe but didn't have much of throat, now that has been resolved. Also learned that H110 and 365g 58 cal Minies equal inconsistent ignition. Will save the H110 for the 300 Blackout. I loaded some .575 Lee RBs over 16g Unique with a BPI wad with the petals removed. Put a couple of .125" nitro cards over the wad, then the RB and roll crimp. My friend with the lathe had the gun today and shot the only 5 RB loads I gave him, all into one ragged hole @ 35 yards. Promising compared to my other results. Ohio's MZ Deer season starts next Saturday, so probably will not shoot the 24ga again for a few weeks.

BB

hubel458
12-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Th VV110 will work if loaded heavier. We used it in 12ga mag loads as a match
for IMR 4759, but needs minimum amount. If you have heavy
alloy barrel you can use good amounts of 4759 starting at 45gr,
in a . 585" bore, There are couple minie bullets that are .585" or so
that would work without seals and wads, a 440gr and 540gr.
We use them in my 585HE, with slow twist barrels.
All the other smaller Minies we use in the 12ga sabots,.Ed

hubel458
12-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Oh, did you make the chamber the smaller size for the brass
case as a tight fit, as opposed to loose fit fot regulae cases.Ed

bikerbeans
12-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Oh, did you make the chamber the smaller size for the brass
case as a tight fit, as opposed to loose fit fot regulae cases.Ed

Ed,

I wanted this gun to be legal for deer in Ohio so we made the chamber to fit tight with the brass/plastic BPI hulls and a .575" minie or RB. Ohio thinks it would be dangerous to allow folks to hunt deer with an all brass shotgun hull!??!?

I am going over to my friend's place tomorrow to get this gun back and maybe shot a group or two. Will try and post target and gun pics shortly.

BB

RMc
12-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Funny, Mississippi will not allow paper or plastic hulls during the "Primitive Weapons" season!