PDA

View Full Version : How to prep a new Lee mold?

hawaii five-0
12-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Santa is going to bring me a couple new Lee double cavity molds. What are the best ways to prep the mold for long life? I remember reading that some edges needed polishing on sprue plate? Thanks

12-09-2013, 01:05 PM
1.There are at least two stickies covering this subject.

2. After opening the boxes, remove the moulds, throw the instructions in the trash, and follow the instructions in the above mentioned stickies.

captaint
12-09-2013, 01:10 PM
five-0,
Nothing real special. Might want to run your fingers on the underside of the sprue plate, feeling for burrs. If so, they can be eliminated with at least 400 wet & dry. Be careful not to remove any meaningful amount of metal, just a cleanup. Otherwise, dish soap & toothbrush & hot water, twice. Lubricate with Bullplate if available or good 2 stroke oil - sparingly. I do the bottom of the sprue plate and top of the mold - and the alignment pins and sprue plate hinge bolt. Don't get any kind of oil near the cavaties. There's a sticky on prepping a new Lee mold. Mike

45-70 Chevroner
12-09-2013, 06:52 PM
I stumbled onto a way that has worked better than any thing I have tried befor. My last new mold is a six cavity Lee mold for 38 357. I have tried a lot of different ways to clean molds. This one works best. Very hot water, any kind of liquid dish soap after scrubbing with the dish soap and an old tooth brush I sprinkle some AJAX cleanser on the soaped up mold and scrub some more then clean it all off with the tooth bruch while rinsing with very hot water. I then went to to pot, preheated (and got it quite hot to be sure all the water had evaporated) the mold on a hot plate. There was no breakin time as the first boolits out of the mold had no rinkles and the boolits were all filled out. It works for me.

kevindtimm
12-09-2013, 09:36 PM
1.There are at least two stickies covering this subject.

2. After opening the boxes, remove the moulds, throw the instructions in the trash, and follow the instructions in the above mentioned stickies.

And, search is your friend.....

btroj
12-09-2013, 09:42 PM
No different than any other mould. Clean with hot water, Comet, and toothbrush. Rinse well, repeat, dry, then go use it.

I don't make any changes or alter a mould unless it tells me it needs it.