PDA

View Full Version : Different melter for different kinds of lead?

Twmaster
12-09-2013, 03:53 AM
I just tried to find this info by the search feature. Came up empty...

I want to cast two kinds of lead. One nearly pure dead soft lead for swaging cores.

Another for harder allows for casting whole boolits. I've read mention of having a dedicated pot for each kind of lead. How important is this? Is there enough contamination from an alloy type harder lead that would ruin a pot of soft lead?

boltons75
12-09-2013, 04:59 AM
I would say don't worry about it. Once you drain the pot, let it cool and turn it upside down to shake any remnants of lead out. Should drop out fairly easy.

NoZombies
12-09-2013, 05:18 AM
I use 2 pots (well more than 2 actually) for the sake of convenience, not out of any feeling of necessity. I'm not a fan of emptying the pot and refilling, and by running more than one pot, I don't have to unless I feel like it.

dikman
12-09-2013, 06:21 AM
It's one of those things that's nice to have, but not absolutely necessary. If you empty the pot completely, any remaining bits stuck to the sides are going to be insignificant as regards contamination of the next batch.

If you're going to be swapping back and forth a lot, though, it will make life easier to have two pots. Over there in the States, where the price of pots (particularly Lee) is very reasonable, I would certainly run two if possible, based on what you're going to be doing. Down here they're just too darned expensive!!![smilie=b:

PalmettoShooter
12-09-2013, 06:29 AM
If you do what boltons75 said you'll be fine. I have dedicated bc mine are to big to pick up, but my little r&d pot gets cleaned out between alloys.

Twmaster
12-09-2013, 07:13 AM
I suspected there would not be enough lead left in the pot to really matter going between pure and alloyed lead.

Thanks for the replies folks.