PDA

View Full Version : New storage solution

bcr
12-08-2013, 09:56 PM
For quite a while I've been trying to find a mold storage solution I really like. I finally found one. ~$4.50 each at Harbor Freight. I put about 1" of foam in the bottom of each compartment, which helps me get them out easier.

dragon813gt
12-08-2013, 10:07 PM
I must have overlooked that one. I look every time I'm there to see if molds will fit in any of the containers they sell. I like that a lot :)

waco
12-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Thats a pretty cool idea!

bcr
12-08-2013, 11:40 PM
I must have overlooked that one. I look every time I'm there to see if molds will fit in any of the containers they sell. I like that a lot :)

I noticed that they do not have these listed on their website, so I don't know how widely they're selling these. I bought a total of five in case they discontinue them in the future. That's enough for 35 molds, which I don't anticipate exceeding.

Ben
12-08-2013, 11:48 PM
That's great for brass molds, but what about moisture and steel molds with that system ?

freebullet
12-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Very nice. I've been lookin fer something similar to hold them with the handles.

Doc Highwall
12-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Not only steel moulds but aluminum and brass have steel screws and alignment pins. Make sure the foam is a closed cell or find something that will not absorb moisture.

dragon813gt
12-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Picked up five of them today :)
I won't be putting any foam in it since its not really needed. I had all my molds in a 16" toolbox for a long time with no ill effects. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to label them w/ the label maker.

bcr
12-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Not only steel moulds but aluminum and brass have steel screws and alignment pins. Make sure the foam is a closed cell or find something that will not absorb moisture.

I was planning to drop a little pack of silicon desicant in each subcell, do you think that will be adequate?

Doc Highwall
12-09-2013, 10:38 PM
That can work two ways good or bad. The silicate pacts attract moisture and if kept in a container with a seal will absorb the moisture in the container keeping it dry, but if the container allows air to leak in the pacts can draw moisture in.

The good thing about the silicate pacts is they can be heated up to dry them out to be used over and over.

Fishman
12-09-2013, 11:44 PM
That looks sweet!

xacex
12-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my molds look way more used than your nice clean molds. But, they have seen a hundred pounds of lead through some of them, or more.

Artful
12-09-2013, 11:51 PM
I noticed that they do not have these listed on their website, so I don't know how widely they're selling these. I bought a total of five in case they discontinue them in the future. That's enough for 35 molds, which I don't anticipate exceeding.

Best laid plans of mice and men, my friend - thanks for the tip I'll have too look into it but the Lee 6 bangers won't go - any idea's for them?

fastfire
12-10-2013, 12:35 AM
Lots of storage boxes here, http://www.tool-boxes.org/brand/homak-manufacturing/13400721.html

alamogunr
12-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Best laid plans of mice and men, my friend - thanks for the tip I'll have too look into it but the Lee 6 bangers won't go - any idea's for them?

A while back(maybe a couple of years?), cbrick posted that he used SnapTite plastic food containers. I looked them up and found a size that would hold 4 of the Lee 6 cavity molds. Since I had about 30+ of these molds, mostly GB's from over the years, I started looking for them locally. I finally found them at a grocery in Hendersonville, TN where our older son and his family live.

They happened to be on sale so I bought about a dozen. If you want to know the item identifier, let me know and I'll go to the shop tomorrow and see if it is on the container.

I don't know if others have the problem that I have keeping things straight, but Lee molds need to be identified since I cannot remember exactly which is which of the GB's. I got out the old engraving pencil and put the GB name on each one as I removed it from the original box. They take up a lot less room on the shelf now.

xacex
12-10-2013, 01:13 PM
That would be great if you can let us know what the item number is. Do they hold them with the handles? I notice quite a few are storing without handles, but I like to have them ready at a moments notice. It would save me a bunch on mold handles if I didn't do that. Maybe I need to think about not storing molds that way. It does take time to heat a pot of metal. Plenty of time to put on a set.

Victor N TN
12-10-2013, 01:56 PM
I keep mine in old socks with oil sprayed inside. I turn the socks inside out and put some light oil on them. Then when you turn them back right side out the outside isn't oily. I actually store them standing on their end in an old steel 4 drawer file cabinet with other stuff.

alamogunr
12-10-2013, 02:28 PM
That would be great if you can let us know what the item number is. Do they hold them with the handles? I notice quite a few are storing without handles, but I like to have them ready at a moments notice. It would save me a bunch on mold handles if I didn't do that. Maybe I need to think about not storing molds that way. It does take time to heat a pot of metal. Plenty of time to put on a set.

I just looked at the containers again. They are SnapWare, not SnapTite as I posted originally. There is no item # on them but they are identified as 4.5 cups and 1.0 L. I measured the inside and got 7.5"X 5.375". The sides are slightly tapered so those measurements are fractionally large.

Obviously, they will not hold the sprue plate handle. I saved some of the Lee boxes and used them for the handles. I have never left handles on my molds except for the very few H&G molds I have.

Victor's idea is also good. If I weren't such a packrat with paper I might have tried file cabinets. I have 2 five drawer file cabinets in the shop and they are full. Besides my socks have holes in them.

bcr
12-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my molds look way more used than your nice clean molds. But, they have seen a hundred pounds of lead through some of them, or more.

Haha, I haven't used 4/7 of those yet. I'm in the middle of a huge project that's basically a second full time job and I won't be able to cast or shoot again until April. But, I can't let opportunities to pick up nice molds pass me by.

myg30
12-14-2013, 12:07 PM
I keep mine in old socks with oil sprayed inside. I turn the socks inside out and put some light oil on them. Then when you turn them back right side out the outside isn't oily. I actually store them standing on their end in an old steel 4 drawer file cabinet with other stuff.

And guys complain about the smell of Alox when shooting their boolits ??:holysheep

Sorry, I just couldn't pass up on that one. Im not far from Hendersonville. Work in Nash, I'll check em out.

Mike

Changeling
12-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Empty peanut butter plastic jars work great and have a great seal. Any similar plastic jars wit good seal would be fine.

Any home with kids will save you all you want for FREE, LOL.

bcr
12-14-2013, 09:17 PM
I sent mold maker the item #, but then I lost the info and apparently I can't see my sent messages. Maybe send him a PM if you want the info.

bcr
12-22-2013, 09:37 PM

I just had this idea today, and it works well.

white eagle
12-22-2013, 10:09 PM
got a link??

bcr
12-22-2013, 10:21 PM
No, I bought them in the store and haven't been able to find them online. I sent mold maker a PM with the product info, but I can't find it now. You can try sending him a PM.

CGT80
12-24-2013, 08:55 PM
I looked around the forum for boolit mold storage ideas as well. I had my molds in a 30 cal ammo can. It worked well, but the handles were too long on a number of them, and they wouldn't sit flat.

I found a local guy that had 40 mm ammo cans for 8 bucks each. I used some tan camo paint to clean up the outside as they had yellow paint covering the markings. The cans were in like new condition otherwise. They were probably used once by the military and then sold off, from the looks of it.

I might look for some anti corrosion paper to wrap the molds in, so they don't rub on each other. I store my molds with the handles on and they fit well in the 40mm can. I also bought a little desiccant tin that is perforated and rated for about 10 cubic feet.

Rust isn't a major issue here, but my casting room does flood when it rains and I hate to have to clean rusty molds again. I still have a couple that need cleaned up since my dad and grandfathers just left them out in the open. I posted a few pics of the rusty molds, on this forum, and got an ear full. I promptly started to clean them up and use them. There is nothing like a nice steel mold that is free of rust and has the wonderful colors from being run through heat cycles. My RCBS 45 225 was one of them. I also want to protect the MP and NOE molds that I have added, although they are brass and aluminum molds.