PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Deer

7br
12-08-2013, 09:42 PM
When I was going up in Kansas in the 70’s, it was a bit of a wonder to see a deer. Tags were by draw and only good for the management area you applied for. My father never drew a tag as I was growing up. Two years ago, my nephew and I built a raised blind in hopes of enticing Dad out of the house for a hunt, but health issues precluded him from using it. This weekend, my daughter and I harvested two deer from his blind. It was a little bittersweet as Dad passed away two weeks ago. I am sure somewhere Dad is elbowing St. Peter in the ribs saying “Look at Grace, isn’t she something else?”.

RichardSATX
12-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Great job on the deer!! I bow hunted Kansas back in the early 80's while I was at Ft Riley. I drew a tag each year, but always got antler-less. Nice job getting the kiddo in on it too.

CastingFool
12-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Congrats on the two deer! Sorry to hear about your dad passing. It's always hard to lose a loved one.

EMC45
12-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Sorry about your Dad. Classy pic.

richhodg66
12-09-2013, 07:16 PM
I've lived in Kansas about 19 years now and have been deer hunting about 16 or so. In that time, I have seen some serious relaxation on rules and regs for them, now you buy tags over the counter. I try to get as much time in the field going after them and usually kill a couple each year. Kind of funny, I normally try to hit opening day of the firearms season and sit home during the first weekend to let all the one day a year bozos that come out get it out of their system (I hunt public land). Because of limited time for me, I spent all day Sunday out in the woods and got a nice doe, but I was the only hunter all day on the big tract I hunt. It snowed, so easy to tell, no tracks going in except for mine.

I'm pretty far east of Hays, but to me, Kansas is God's country, I love it here. I think your Dad would be pretty proud of Grace. Is that a Remington 788 she's using there?

DIRT Farmer
12-09-2013, 09:10 PM
It's time for the family trip to Kansas, deer tags are kinda hard on us Easterners so it will be birds for me. The boy has a mule deer tag so we are headed to the North West corner. Thatis a long drive for this old man. West bound early tomorrow.

gbrown
12-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost Dad back in '95. He stopped hunting with me in '89. I still hunt, and when I'm at the camp, or in the blind, I think about him. Wish he was still here to share the memories--in a way, he still is. Memories of past hunts with family and friends, I cherish, share with grandkids, and think of, often at the camp. I try to make memories for the grandkids, now, that they can carry with them. Here's the middle one with his first deer.

missionary5155
12-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Congradulations and Condolences.
I am glad for you that you had the oppertunity to spend all the years with him.
Good your new hide out produced.
I was 16 before I saw a deer where I grew up near the Paw Paw River in Michigan. Every now and then the Game Officials did some things right.
Thanks for the write and photos.
Mike in Peru

RugerFan
12-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Is that a Remington 788 she's using there?

I was wondering the same. Looks just like mine in .308.

selmerfan
12-09-2013, 10:17 PM
That's a purty M788 - I've got two in the cabinet, both .243, both in the blond stock, both used by my daughters (and me, of course!)

7br
12-10-2013, 01:10 AM
It is a 788 in .243. I got it when I was 16 with money I made hauling hay. My mother had to buy it for me from Bluestem Farm and Ranch in Emporia. If I remember correctly, it was about $125 with a tasco 4x scope. Still shoots like a house afire.

richhodg66
12-10-2013, 01:29 PM
I've had a few 788s over the years and all were good shooters. I wish Remington would make that again instead of the current bottom rung cheapies, 710, 770, whatever. The 788s seem like much better rifles to me.

w5pv
12-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Cherish the good times and remember the times that you thought were bad at the time when you were getting what for.I lost my hunting partner in 87 but remember the good time we had hunting and fishing and veggie gardening.

warf73
12-11-2013, 03:08 AM
Grats on the deer and sorry about your dad.