PDA

View Full Version : PC'd loads same as jaxteted?

el34
12-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Evidence is drifting in that PC'd boolits can be loaded same as jacketed. I've tried it with 357mag (15.2gr 2400 under 158 SWC) and 380 (3.1gr HP38 under 102gr RN raspberries). I can't conclusively judge accuracy yet based on the shooting conditions I had but there was no leading and no signs of over-pressure. The 357 primers were flattened but not abnormally.

Anybody have similar results?

C. Latch
12-08-2013, 09:06 PM
If I'm speaking out of ignorance here, it won't be the first time, and sadly not the last, but what do you mean by 'load to jacketed levels' in the context of handgun shooting? At handgun velocities and pressures, almost any load that is safe with any jacketed bullet will show less pressure - and more velocity - with a similar cast projectile if it's lubed halfway decently, sized correctly, and not cast from a grossly too-soft alloy. Right?

If you were asking about bottlenecked rifle reloading, I'd understand the question a bit better.

el34
12-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Shoulda been more descriptive. I meant handgun loads principally but not to exclude rifles- soon I'll be casting for my first AR. I was fishing for info suggesting or confirming you can use the same load data (powder charge) for PC boolits as jacketed. I am interested more in accuracy than velocity.

xacex
12-09-2013, 06:37 PM
I have loaded them as fast in 300 blackout, and 223. So far the 223 is minute of a pie plate at 100. Not very good. The 300BO is much better, but no one holer.

DeanWinchester
12-09-2013, 06:41 PM
I have fired a 100g plainbase boolit, powder coated with Harbor freight powder, from a Contender super 14 30/30 with a case full of Varget. It was not accurate and made a fireball what looked like Hiroshima. No trace of leading. After several rounds, my wrists said "ENOUGH!!!!" and I'll swear in court, the bore was cleaner than when I got to the range. It actually blasted out some little freckles in the lands.
The test was not looking for accuracy but the threshold at which the powder coat would fail. I didn't find it.

Powder coating just works, plain and simple. As for pistol loads, I use jacketed data for the same weight and have had nothing but great results.

el34
12-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Powder coating just works, plain and simple. As for pistol loads, I use jacketed data for the same weight and have had nothing but great results.

Exactly what I was beginning to suspect. Including full-tilt loads if there's a reason. I predict that best accuracy loads for jacketed might not be the same as for same-weight cast/PC though.

jmort
12-09-2013, 11:46 PM
I watch for any range reports for any of the coatings. Trend seems to be less accuracy and less velocity and no leading. Appreciate any range reports with any coating.

xacex
12-10-2013, 12:49 AM
I think we will find that you can push them as fast, but with different powders. What we may see is that coated boolits need a powder with a different burning curve to get the same result. I don't think it will be a 1-1 switch, but a mix of cast data, and jacketed to get to the same place.This would be for rifle anyway, I have no problem subbing jacketed data for pistol. In fact the two best loads for 9mm now are jacketed data, along with a 45ACP load.

sparky45
12-10-2013, 11:02 PM
My question, along those same lines, concerns a PC'd bullets diameter versus Jacketed. By that I mean if the jacketed load for .45ACP is the standard .451, what diameter bullet in PC'd cast will one use? I have been using .452 and want to go down to .451 like jacketed. Sorry to the OP for inserting my question, but it does kinda piggyback the overall data of a load.

el34
12-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Valid question sparky. Personally I don't think 1 thou will be significant and I haven't seen boolit dia listed as part of load data. Sizing to fit the barrel is highly recommended but it doesn't impact powder charge.

xacex- care to share your pet loads for PC'd 9 and 45? I'm working the same project, 120gr tc and 230gr rn.

fcvan
12-11-2013, 12:55 AM
I'm still sizing my PC boolits to the same size as regular lubed lead. No issues there and no fouling. I've taken to powder coating all of my pistol boolits because they smoke less and leave a clean bore. No copper or lead fouling.

I started powder coating for use in rifle cartridges. My .223/5.56 load of 14 grains of 4227 with the Lyman 225-415 55 gr boolit runs about 2200 fps. This is a Lyman book load at approx 23,000 CUP.

When powder coated I'm getting about 1.5" at 100 yards with iron sights from the bench and about 2" from lubed lead. I'm pretty sure I can tweak this some and see if I can achieve greater velocity with different gunpowder choices. I am also sure I can tighten the groups with a scope as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I'm very happy with the performance of the load above as it cycles my Mini 14 and my AR flawlessly. I can roll tin cans at 100 yards all day long and that is good enough for me. The lower pressures are easier on the gun, easier on the brass, and not as loud as factory loads. My brass ejects to the rear with reloads (about 5 o'clock) vs factory (about 1 o'clock). When shooting at an improved range, I don't have to wait for a cease fire to round up my brass.

There are other great boolit molds and other great loads. I've found a .223/5.56 load that works for me and I can can put a lot of rounds down range for 20 bucks in components. I've got some test loads for 30-06 ready and waiting for the next range day. I am also awaiting the parts to complete another AR in 300 AAC Blackout. The brass is formed, gas checks made, and boolits PCd, checked, and sized. I can't wait to try them too!

xacex
12-11-2013, 01:36 AM
xacex- care to share your pet loads for PC'd 9 and 45? I'm working the same project, 120gr tc and 230gr rn.

I can, but I am using 125's for the 9mm, and 200's for the 45.

popper
12-11-2013, 11:09 AM
My 308 likes 310, I tried 309, not as good, either plain or PCd. I did some 310 (light loads) in my marlin which likes 311, 310 was just as good. Conclude, you have to try it.

sparky45
12-11-2013, 11:52 AM
The reason I asked about sizing was two fold; on the one hand it seems that if PC'd can be loaded similar to Jacketed then sizing should/could be the same as Jacketed without loss of energy or Leading and on the other hand, I purchased several bulletfeeder dies (Hornady) and they are only manufactured to work with Jacketed dimensions. So, a trial is awaiting.

Echd
12-16-2013, 03:55 PM
I have been using jacketed data for my 762x39 loads with no issues and very good accuracy.