PDA

View Full Version : Big Boy 44...Scope?

radtuck
12-08-2013, 06:54 PM
I have been going back and forth about whether to put a Skinner peep or a scope on my new rifle. I originally wanted to go with the peep because it keeps the old school look to it and it is cheaper...but now I wonder if I should scope it because of my poor vision. Are there any reasonably priced scopes that work well with the big boy? I don't want to drop $300 on a scope, but don't want "cheap" glass.

Ramjet-SS
12-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Umm glass that is cheap is CHEAP.

Nothing wrong with scoping up the 44 I have a real nice Trijicon 30mm 1-5 on my 30-30 brass. Weaver 1-4 is an Ok or any 1-5 power scope would work fine. Do what allows you shoot your rifle well.

You will not like this but the scope should cost as much or more than the gun it is going on. Worth every penny.

radtuck
12-08-2013, 07:39 PM
I don't agree that the glass has to be that expensive...I bought a Burris full field 2 for my bolt rifle and it was $325. That was an awesome scope, too...50 mm objective 3.5-12 variable...lifetime warranty. I shouldn't have sold it, but needed the money at the time.

olereb
12-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I have Bushnell's on my 45-70 and my 30-30 that cost $165.00 and they work great,granted there are better but for hunting they work just fine at 100yrds.

BruceB
12-08-2013, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=Ramjet-SS;2514346]".......but the scope should cost as much or more than the gun it is going on." /QUOTE]

This a very old "rule of thumb" which *I* believe has out-lived its usefulness.

My first scoped rifle came along about 1960. In those days, inexpensive scopes were pretty sad items, and spending a rifle-equivalent amount for a glass sight made some sense.

These days, truly CHEAP scopes are still rather poor and unreliable.

MODERATELY priced scopes can be (and in many cases are) very good value-for-money. The Burris already mentioned and a number of other brands offer good optics, reasonable durability, and all-round general satisfaction to many users.

Given the great strides in scope quality over the last few decades, I don't think the old rule-of-thumb holds as much truth as it once did (unless we're speaking of "CHEAP" rifles, of course.... a $150-200 new Redfield on a Ruger American makes eminent good sense to me.)

For my HUNTING rifles, my scopes are Leupolds and nothing else. For varminting, plinking, and other non-critical uses, I have Weaver, Pentax, Bushnell and similar instruments. (Nothing wrong with the Weaver line for hunting, in my book....it's just the way my "arsenal'" worked out).

A top-of-the-line Bushnell scope served me well through about twenty COLD seasons in the Northwest territories, and it still does well on my .416 Rigby here in Nevada. Another, much newer Bushnell 3200 is installed on my FAL and it also serves faithfully.

radtuck
12-24-2013, 05:05 PM
We'll...I just ordered my scope for the Henry 44. Ended up getting a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35. I went with leupold low rings. I ordered the scope rail from Henry a week ago and it hasn't arrived, so I'm not sure when the scope will arrive. I'll be on the edge of my seat until the items get here, though. Merry Christmas to you all...happy shooting.

mrvmax
12-24-2013, 06:37 PM
I put a Redfield 2-7 on my 44mag big boy. 2-7 is enough power for the ranges I will use my rifle for and makes it easier on my poor eyesight.

Guy La Pourque
12-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Rad the only guy you gotta impress is the bum you see in the mirror when you're shaving in the morning. My personal experience is that the hunting is pretty easy for most scopes to handle. Where scopes tend to die is on the range - particularly if they are getting shot and handled a lot.

For moderate use your Burris will do just fine but for a serious go-to gun I would say the Leupold is a good minimum. I put Zeiss and Swarovski's on my main guns - and I get them professionally mounted and torqued down. It is pricey but once they're on you just go and shoot and forget about them.

mrvmax
12-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Btw the Redfield Revenge 2-7 power is less than $150 and works great.

radtuck
12-24-2013, 09:50 PM
The Burris and rings was just under $170. I thought it was a decent deal from Midway.

Crawdaddy
12-25-2013, 12:59 AM
I have a few high end scopes but most of mine are in the 200 range. I have a Nikon Buckmaster, I think it is called, on my 450 Marlin. I bought it second hand for around 100 and couldn't be happier.

My vision is staring to give me a little trouble and have a hard time with peep sights.

Tn Jim
12-27-2013, 02:11 PM
I have a couple of scoped guns and I just couldn't bring myself to scope my Henry 44. I put a Skinner peep rear and blade front on it instead. 5 shots into 1 1/2" at fifty yards is as good as I can shoot anyway.:target_smiley: