PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder bump question on resizing cases.

jarhead jim
12-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I want to just bump the shoulder back on some cases of .300 Win Mag. I have the RCBS Precission Mic to measure the fired cases but don't want to full length resize for accuracy reasons. Been reading up on the Redding Body Die.....Anyone got suggestions as to what die you use.

Jim

btroj
12-08-2013, 05:55 PM
I would use a FL die adjusted to push the shoulder back however much you need. The amount of body sizing shouldn't make a big difference in accuracy.

Love Life
12-08-2013, 05:57 PM
I use redding body dies in conjunction with lee collet neck sizers, but a properly set up FL sizing die will accomplish the same.

jarhead jim
12-08-2013, 06:24 PM
I use the Lee neck sizer with the collets too. Just don't want to full length size because it works the brass too much.

Thanks,

Jim

Larry Gibson
12-08-2013, 06:37 PM
The 300 Win Mag case has minimal body taper. Thus if you are using magnum pressure loads the case body is expanded larger in diameter forward of the expansion ring (just in front of the belt. Thus if you adjust a standard FL die out far enough to not squeeze the sides of the case back in (that pushes the shoulder forward exasperating your problem) the neck will probably be sized very little if at all. The Redding body dies do work for your intended purpose. They are a bit spendy but many match rifle shooter using the 300 Win Mag use them.

Larry Gibson

Love Life
12-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Send 3 fired cases to Whidden Gunworks for a custom FL sizing die, or bushing sizing die. I have one of is dies for .243 and it is very nice.

jarhead jim
12-08-2013, 11:20 PM
I talked to another shooter tonite and he agrees with the Redding body die. Probably get one and try it. Thanks,

Jim

ukrifleman
12-09-2013, 09:02 AM
I use a Lee 6.5x52 F/L die, opened out to neck size and shoulder bump my Carcano brass without F/L sizing the cases.
It works well and has to be a cheaper option than a Redding or custom die.
ukrifleman.

fguffey
12-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Jar head Jim, It is not possible to bump the shoulder back? without case body support. Meaning when using a bump die? there is no way to bump the shoulder back without bumping everything back, the bump die is used when sizing the case with no neck support, something like sizing a 270 Winchester case with a 30/06 full length sizer die or a 30/06 case with an 8mm/06 full length sizing die.

Then there is the do-nut, the shoulder/neck juncture does not get sized, some of my methods and techniques turn my dies into do-nut making machines, it is not a matter of 'if?', it is going to happen every time.

F. Guffey

jarhead jim
12-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the info fellas. I realize when you bump the shoulder you have to size the case too but with the Redding die you don't size the neck. Correct?

Jim

Love Life
12-09-2013, 07:41 PM
The redding body die does not size the neck. You get donuts with neck sizing. I FL size everything now, and the difference in accuracy from non benchrest rifles is minimal to down right not even seen.