PDA

View Full Version : for a large tumbler

testhop
11-21-2007, 08:04 PM
iirc there was a big time pistol comp shooter who wrote that he bought a small
cemet mixer foir a tumbler this may what you michine gunners need it wount be anty more cosely than some of the larger tumblers on the market like ones from harbor friaght ok i know thay are built in chinabut about the only thing to go wrong is the moter and you can replace it with a american one
just a idea
i thing the shooter was DOUG HENNING

mike in co
11-21-2007, 08:33 PM
I SELL BRASS, and while i do not advertise it, all my brass to date has been cleaned/polished in a midway large vib type tumbler.
i was just at my competition's shop. he has four electric cement mixers in a seperate room. fine corn ground corn cob and time.......

i have been shopping the craig's lists for a mixer!

mike
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

Bret4207
11-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Mike- Harbor Freight sells small plastic drummed cement or dry wall compound mixers. Might be workable.

powderburnerr
11-22-2007, 01:06 PM
any mixer will work even steel ones just fill the thing up with enough media to keep the brass in suspention rather than hitting the sides when falling . ,,,,I have 2, A 1/2 yd steel mixer .and a 1/3 yd plastic both work just fine..............Dean

hammerhead357
11-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Horrible Freight also sells a small cement mixer for about 99.00 on sale and it will hold at least one full over sized 5 gallon bucket of brass plus 25 lbs of media.
I know of this because one of my co-workers bought one last year. I use an old ammo can that is about 14 in tall by 9 in wide and 19 in long it is turned by a small electric motor with a gear reducer that slows it down to about 35 rpms. Wes

mike in co
11-22-2007, 01:33 PM
thanks guys on the heads up for the smaller plastic model.
i'll go take a look

mike

spurrit
12-06-2007, 02:05 AM
Mike- Harbor Freight sells small plastic drummed cement or dry wall compound mixers. Might be workable.

I've been thinking about using one of those paint mixing doohickeys that goes in your heavy duty drill and a 5 gallon bucket.

Also thought about using a 5 gallon bucket with lid and a piece of all thread run through it. Hook it up to a heavy duty, variable speed drill at low speed. Also considered drilling the hole slightly off center, just for the added agitation.

garandsrus
12-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Spurrit,

I would guess that if you use the paddle mixer on a drill with brass and media that you will dent/crush your brass. I also wouldn't want to run the drill for the time it would take to clean the brass!

John

spurrit
12-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Here, I'll draw you a picture: Drill is in a vise, or something. Trigger locked at a low speed with a hose clamp, or something. Put a buttload of media in there.

montana_charlie
12-06-2007, 01:33 PM
spurrit,
Your drill idea is probably a good way to ruin a drill.
You get a slow speed at the chuck by slowing the motor...not by changing gears so the motor runs at it's most efficient speed.

With the motor slowed down, it has less torque, and it is running too slow to keep itself cool.
This is not a good combination for turning a 5-gallon bucketful of heavy stuff.

Add the fact that this rig has to turn for (at least) a couple of hours at a time and, before long, you have a burnt out motor.

Rotary tumblers (and cement mixers) work because the motors run fast...and are geared down to turn the drum slowly.

You want a slow-turning motor with a fair amount of torque?
Try the rotisserie motor from an old barbeque...
CM

Pepe Ray
12-06-2007, 03:08 PM
MIKE:
Take it from a FRUGAL yankee.
Old/Pre-owned/ 2nd hand cloths dryers are the way to go. Many times you can get them for the hauling off. The only part that needs to work is the 110V motor and turning system. Simple to rewire for 110 Voltage. And CHEEP.
Other plus points are 1. cleaner looking for the shop or home. 2.Easy to handle. 3. and did I say Cheep?
The Negs are not really negatives only conditions. The cases and media should USUALLY be bagged. This keeps media from sifting into other parts of the machine should it be perforated. This also allows you to segregate all brass and limit your need to sort. Also ,One machine will take a lot of brass.
OH, BTW, did I say it's Cheep?
Pepe Ray

spurrit
12-06-2007, 05:49 PM
spurrit,
Your drill idea is probably a good way to ruin a drill.
You get a slow speed at the chuck by slowing the motor...not by changing gears so the motor runs at it's most efficient speed.

With the motor slowed down, it has less torque, and it is running too slow to keep itself cool.
This is not a good combination for turning a 5-gallon bucketful of heavy stuff.

Add the fact that this rig has to turn for (at least) a couple of hours at a time and, before long, you have a burnt out motor.

Rotary tumblers (and cement mixers) work because the motors run fast...and are geared down to turn the drum slowly.

You want a slow-turning motor with a fair amount of torque?
Try the rotisserie motor from an old barbeque...
CM

Just try to wear out an old Milwaukee hammer drill. I dare ya.

crabo
12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=31979