PDA

View Full Version : Regarding expansion of soft lead projectiles in game

Omnivore
12-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Or "Where theory and reality collide"

Here's an excerpt from my account of this year's hunting experience. Northwest white tailed deer in this case.

I was using 110 grains Goex FF behind a patched ball in a Lyman Deerstalker 50 cal percussion rifle (24" barrel with a 48" twist);

He was about 35 - 40 yards away standing stock still. I don't remember working the lock, but I distinctly remember the sight picture. This is the closest thing to "snap shooting" in that I was walking along not particularly expecting any action. It was my first day out, I had plenty of hunting season left and was just getting a look at the conditions when all of a sudden I had a perfect target that was going to disappear any second. Although I'm standing on the edge of wide-open territory, he was down in heavy brush and woods. If he moved at all I wouldn't have a shot.

The soft lead, 50 caliber ball impacted high on the left shoulder, passing through the top of the scapula in its thin, softer area. In a broadside shot on level ground, this would cause it to exit high on the right scapula, just nicking both lungs but not obliterating them as I intended. Since I was above the deer, shooting downward, the ball then shattered two ribs, nicked the left lung, went dead center through the trachea between the lungs, destroyed the right lung, broke another rib, then grazed the heavy stem of the scapula (I don't know my clinical terms) just above the joint, busting the whole scapula into several major pieces utterly destroying it, and exited lower on the right shoulder. Now you'd think that with both shoulders hit and one destroyed, the animal would stay put, but you'd think wrong. He lumbered off awkwardly and expired some 40 yards away from where he got shot. It took probably less than ten seconds.

Getting the carcass out of that brush-tangled ravine over frozen ground was the most physically demanding thing I've done in a long time. If you ever have to move a dead body, try to have some help available. I am VERY glad that this took place in the morning-- It would have been a real pain finding and dragging that carcass out in the dark.

Anyway; the soft lead ball, weighing about 180 grains and driven to around 44 Magnum velocity, held together very well. Its exit hole, as far as I could tell, was the same size as the entry hole, suggesting very little deformation after punching one scapula, shivering three ribs and destroying the off side scapula. You could look inside the emptied heart/lung cavity and not be able to tell the difference between the entry and the exit holes without extremely close inspection.

The black powder forums are rife with discussion of lead ball or bullet deformation, even from pistols in the 700 to 900 fps MV range, and it is generally assumed to be inevitable. I too had assumed, from the talk in reloading manuals and bullet manufacturer literature, that major deformation or even break-up of pure lead would be inevitable in the 1000 to 1600 fps impact velocity range that I've been working with. It's just that I've never seen any evidence of it.

The 50 caliber, cloth-patched lead ball driven to the mid teens seems to me an excellent deer round at up to my longest shot so far of 85 yards, and probably out to 125.

So there it is for 2013, and this experience of finding little or no difference between entry and exit holes has been repeated year after year after year. Back when I first started I was using Pyrodex RS and my measured velocity at 15 feet was over 1900 fps. I shot my first deer with that load at less than 15 yards distance. Same results.

I haven't tried it on wet phone books, water jugs or gelatin, so I wouldn't know what happens to the ball on those targets.

So if I look at it from that perspective, I would have to ask;

"How well does a projectile's performance on game predict it's ACTUAL performance on wet phone books, jugs or gelatin?"
(Yes, I'm being a smart as, so sue me)

johnson1942
12-08-2013, 02:58 PM
thanks for the details. as i read it i realized i took an antelope a few years ago with the very same load in a .50 cal round ball. very effective. it was 125 yards away. it entered the left shoulder and broke it, the ball split in two and one half went through and snapped the right leg off. the other half neandered into the chest cavity. it was down and all over for that buck. sold that gun to a friend, now he has a good gun. the .50 round ball is a good hunting gun. thanks again for the post. p.s. my friend has blown up alot of 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water and capped with that gun. we have alot of fun doing that at his and my place.

Omnivore
12-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Johnson1942;
Well that right there is the first account I've seen, of a round ball deforming on impact with a game animal. My son and I have killed around a dozen deer with this load and have never seen it. Did your RB hit the major (heavier) bone structure going into the shoulder?

jmort
12-08-2013, 04:34 PM
"How well does a projectile's performance on game predict it's ACTUAL performance on wet phone books, jugs or gelatin?"

I believe that soft lead ball will perform far better in the field than in wet newspaper/ballistic gelatin/water. So the answer is: not a good/direct correlation.
"Soft Lead" will not penetrate wet newspaper very far. Harder alloys will penetrate better. I don't shoot "black powder" but shotguns with .575 caliber balls up to .69 caliber balls in lead alloys that are harder than lead. A shotgun with 00 buckshot, .30 caliber balls, will penetrate about 8/9" in wet newspaper. Dixie Slugs sells/sold a Tri-Ball with three .60 hard cast round balls, well north of 20 bhn, at around 1200 fps that go around 27" in wet newspaper. You know that your soft lead ball flat out works on game.

johnson1942
12-08-2013, 06:09 PM
the bullet drove right through the scapula and split in perfect half. i never considered it a bad thing because the two pieces continued on to be very effective. it was a nice antelope buck, they are in rut during muzzle loader season and have lost all sense. as a postscript their have been about a dozen of them hanging close to the house of late. the deer are dieing off but the antelope are spreading like nuts. i think they taste better than deer as a matter of personal choise. they are a nice looking animal.

Hanshi
12-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Let's see now. A 30/30 bullet with a hardened lead core and wrapped inside a "brass" jacket and starting off at 2000 fps will expand in a deer without hitting bone out at 150 - 200 yards. A soft lead ball (.50) starting out at 1800 fps hits a deer at 40 - 50 yards and either stays inside or goes through and through. Will the soft lead ball expand? Let me think about this, YES.

To be effective a .50, or even .45 ball doesn't have to expand; but they do. My experience has been that the entrance hole is usually larger than the exit hole - I've experienced exceptions when the shot was very close - if there is one. The reason for a smaller exit wound is that by the time the ball has gone through the deer it barely has enough energy to make it through the off side skin. This is because the ball flattens out (think dinner plate vs ice pick). With slightly less velocity on the far side the flattened ball is found just under the skin; flat. A ball hitting bone doesn't expand nicely; it deforms to a greater or lesser extent. A WW ball will kill a deer just as quickly and just as dead as a soft lead ball (proven many times). So expansion only enters the equation as the ball diameter becomes smaller (your choice where to place the limits). Soft lead expands at lower velocity than jacketed bullets.

Hogdaddy
12-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I shot a few dozen deer in my day with a ML,, All with 50 cal RB. Every deer i shoot did the (Bang Flop) with one exception,, a double lung shot ran 50 yard before expirering..

As stated before, a soft RB is excellent for deer. I notice a little bigger exit hole on most of the deer shot ; )
H/D

Omnivore
12-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Let's see now. A 30/30 bullet with a hardened lead core and wrapped inside a "brass" jacket and starting off at 2000 fps will expand in a deer without hitting bone out at 150 - 200 yards. A soft lead ball (.50) starting out at 1800 fps hits a deer at 40 - 50 yards and either stays inside or goes through and through. Will the soft lead ball expand? Let me think about this, YES.

That's exactly what I had thought. Except for the hardened lead core bit. You sure 30-30 hunting soft points have hardened lead at the tip? Citation needed. And while we're talking about citations, I have been talking about using "soft lead" round ball-- these are commercial swaged balls made by Speer. I am assuming they are all lead and not some alloy, though the manufacturers don't say one way or the other.

I recovered one ball after it had penetrated a measured 25 inches in a quartering away shot and stopped under the skin on the far side. I commented at the time that I could have reloaded that ball and fired it again, it was in such good shape.

I would have confidently bet that a lead ball would deform in tissue like crazy, but as I say, I haven't seen evidence of it yet.

Let's see those recovered balls then. I have one and it's in amazingly good shape.

BK7saum
12-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Every round ball I've recovered from deer (4 or 5) were nearly flat and almost the size of a quarter. Those were all Hornady swaged 0.490" 50 caliber round balls.

DIRT Farmer
12-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I have recovered exactly two fifty cal balls from deer and one and one 45 ball from a squrriel but that is another story.
I just went to look for the ball recovered in 2004 it was not where I thought it was, but as I remember, was slightly flattened on the front with a pattern on the front that was apperently from the hair. The load was .495 ball cast from roof flashing, ticking patchwith mutton tallow lube and 60 grains of ffg Goex. The shot was frontal entering the crease between the chest and right leg and was found behind the last rib on the left side. Three ribs were cut, heart was hit, some damage to right lung and full penetration of left lung. This was the only deer that has run after it was hit with this load, The other twenty or so were pass through the chest cavitity and stood close to where they were hit, some even went back to eating before falling over. When I was using 90 to 120 grains in a 54 most ran a ways before falling.

musty nugget
12-08-2013, 09:59 PM
I have only ever recovered 2 round balls, most go right thru, both almost flat and over 3/4 inch diameter. Exit hole always larger than entrance.
.535 dead soft lead ball
greased pillow ticking patch
90 gr. FFgoex
36 inch barrel

fouronesix
12-08-2013, 10:20 PM
As to the jacketed bullet core question- I think almost all commercial cup core bullets are made with an alloyed lead core- but of varying alloys thus varying hardnesses. I'd guess the cores of most 30-30 cup cores are a fairly soft alloy.

I also think the Hornady and Speer swaged roundballs are of a very soft alloy- if not pure lead then pretty close, possibly with a tiny bit of tin added. I've tested them with a BHN tester and they measure very, very soft at less than 6-7 and in reality about the same range of readings I get with pure lead.

Every roundball I've recovered from a deer or recovered from deer others have shot (45, 50 and 54 cals) have expanded as described in the previous posts. All were of nearly pure lead or at most a very soft alloy with a smidge of tin. For the ones that have passed through, the enlarged exit hole was consistent with the expected size of a flattened roundball.... and likely not the result of compression wave or hydrostatic effect.

Here's some examples I pulled out of the junk box. Since reference was made in an earlier post about 30-30 jacketed bullet expansion, one 30-30 recovered bullet is included.

Left to right: 30-30 150 gr Silvertip factory loaded recovered from deer, impact vel about 1700 fps. 54 cal roundball for comparison. The three recovered roundballs are (IIRC) 54 cal, 54 cal and 50 cal. Each of the roundballs had an estimated impact vel of about 1000 fps. All recovered from deer.

Good Cheer
12-11-2013, 07:54 PM

To be effective a .50, or even .45 ball doesn't have to expand; but they do. My experience has been that the entrance hole is usually larger than the exit hole - I've experienced exceptions when the shot was very close - if there is one. The reason for a smaller exit wound is that by the time the ball has gone through the deer it barely has enough energy to make it through the off side skin. This is because the ball flattens out (think dinner plate vs ice pick). With slightly less velocity on the far side the flattened ball is found just under the skin; flat. A ball hitting bone doesn't expand nicely; it deforms to a greater or lesser extent. A WW ball will kill a deer just as quickly and just as dead as a soft lead ball (proven many times). So expansion only enters the equation as the ball diameter becomes smaller (your choice where to place the limits). Soft lead expands at lower velocity than jacketed bullets.

Exactly. The ball makes a smaller hole going out 'cause it slowed down inside that deer skin catchers mitt.