PDA

View Full Version : Entry and exit wounds from th .475 Linebaugh

44man
11-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I took some pictures but it does not show the internal damage. Under the shoulders had a lot of bloodshot areas that cleaned up with no trouble. I don't keep the ribs anyway.

44man
11-21-2007, 04:20 PM
This is the Exit

targetshootr
11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
That looks like it stung a little. How fast was it going and what weight.

dubber123
11-21-2007, 07:01 PM
That looks like it stung a little. How fast was it going and what weight.

44man only shoots creampuff loads. Probably a 275 gr. at 800 fps.![smilie=1:

44man
11-21-2007, 07:36 PM
The boolit weighs 410 gr's and is going 1329 fps. I use 26 gr's of 296, it is the most accurate.
Dubber, you :bigsmyl2:are funny!

crossfireoops
11-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Good Lord, ....your wrists must be the size of an average guy's thighs !

Nice through and Through kudos.

GTC

targetshootr
11-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Nice shooting. I shot a friends 475 Bisley with factory ammo like that and it didn't fly out of my hands but all the flinching didn't do much for accuracy. The kind of gun a deer would stop and have lunch if he saw me with it.

Topper
11-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I know he probably didn't have much wind in him after that shoot:mrgreen:
Curious, how far did he travel after getting hit?
Nice job by the way:wink:

S.R.Custom
11-22-2007, 12:16 AM
What? No head shot? :lol:

44man
11-22-2007, 08:09 AM
He went straight up, made a short run and spun in. I would say 20 yd's at the most.
I also found a dead deer close to where mine fell. My friends daughter shot it earlier and we never found a single drop of blood. She used a .223. The inside of the deer was a mess and she went about 150 yd's.
I have been trying to convince him to get a larger gun like a 30-30 for her. She can't hold up any of his rifles so she needs a light gun. I hope this almost lost deer changes her mind.

Lloyd Smale
11-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Buck or Doe? Congradulations on the kill!

44man
11-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Mine was a young buck. I hunt the ladies land every year and get her and her sister a deer every year. She is like me and does not like the taste of large bucks. I will shoot the doe that a buck is following. We have so many deer that they are getting smaller each year. One reason is that most of the other hunters start by hunting a buck. I have shot too many bucks in Ohio, Mich, and PA. I have no use for them anymore. Our herd needs thinned drastically. I am a meat hunter and won't kill what we won't eat. Any deer that needs ground up and mixed with something to hide the flavor is a waste. I have a God awful time giving away big buck meat too.
The people around here always find deer tossed out that had the head cut off for the rack and the meat wasted. I hate trophy hunters!
A doe is much harder to get a shot at with a revolver or a bow then a buck in rut anyway and takes more care to get the shot.

7br
11-23-2007, 10:22 PM
As for the young lady hunting with a .223, She might consider a contender carbine. All three of my kids have .22 carbines and I have a 7tcu barrel. It will push a 120gr bullet about 2600fps. If she has someone who will reload for her, a 7-30 waters might be a better choice for future growth.

44man
11-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Her rifle is a little single shot, break open. I don't remember the make but I told her father to see if it has interchangable barrels. She is a good shot but I was trying to teach her where to shoot a deer from different angles, she needs some work with that. I really want to see 2 holes with whatever she uses.

Bass Ackward
11-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Jim,

Glad you got your deer but for a man who gets 35 a year, you just acept it. :grin:

But if you hadn't told me that was a 475 hit, I would have congratulated you for coming back to sanity and using a 44. Actually .... my exits are probably a little bigger with more clotting in the same area and you know I don't run wild with the velocity end either.

I sortta expected a hole you could see through or something. :grin:

Lloyd Smale
11-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Ive shot quite a few deer with .223s and have never lost one yet. Id guess the problem is more accuacy related then killing power related and if thats the case stepping up to a 3030 isnt going to do much. 3030s are wicked killing deer rifles but remind me alot of a .223 in that there bullets for the most part are thin jacketed and dont allways give an exit wound. I started my son out on a 1-14 twist .250 that wouldnt handle anything bigger then a 87 grain bullet and the first two deer he shot we were dammed lucky to recover. I switched to premium bullets in it and the last couple he shot at least had a decent blood trail and two holes in them. If i were your neighbor i wouldnt nessisarily change her gun just load some partitions or barns bullets in it. I bad mouthed preimum bullets for years and said they were an answer to a problem that didnt exist and still dont use them in anything bigger then a 25 but in the small bores they have there place.
Her rifle is a little single shot, break open. I don't remember the make but I told her father to see if it has interchangable barrels. She is a good shot but I was trying to teach her where to shoot a deer from different angles, she needs some work with that. I really want to see 2 holes with whatever she uses.

44man
11-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Good suggestion, a better bullet would do the trick. I don't know if he loads the .223, have to ask him. His daughter doesn't have any arm strength and he has taught her to shoot behind the shoulder but that can't be done when the deer is quartered toward or away from you. That is what she did even though the deer was coming towards her at a quartering angle. The bullet went into the guts and made a mess. She hit where she aimed but it was the wrong spot.

Four Fingers of Death
11-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Get her to try the 70gn Speer, it was designed for deer and is pretty stumpy and will work in most 223s. The 63 Gn Sierra is a good choice also.

44man
11-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks, I will pass it on.

ebner glocken
11-26-2007, 01:30 AM
As far as the 30-30 goes I've seen some pretty good kills with corlok and ww power points. This year I got to see one hit with that newer hornady pointy stuff. For a shot at about 40 yards on a 140 pound buck placed right through the lungs and liver the thing ran about 300 yards before he dropped. It wasn't my deer but another guy and I gutted this thing: One thirty caliber entry, a fairly narrow wound channel never touching a bone, across both lungs, liver and found the bullet on the far end that jacket and core seperated. My conclusion, don't use the stuff.

HollandNut
11-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Awesome 44man , always like two holes myself ..

What state did he come from ??

44man
11-26-2007, 08:45 AM
West By God for sure, thought sure you could tell! :mrgreen: He was dumb enough to get shot! [smilie=1:

44man
11-26-2007, 08:48 AM
As far as the 30-30 goes I've seen some pretty good kills with corlok and ww power points. This year I got to see one hit with that newer hornady pointy stuff. For a shot at about 40 yards on a 140 pound buck placed right through the lungs and liver the thing ran about 300 yards before he dropped. It wasn't my deer but another guy and I gutted this thing: One thirty caliber entry, a fairly narrow wound channel never touching a bone, across both lungs, liver and found the bullet on the far end that jacket and core seperated. My conclusion, don't use the stuff.
Good to know. I would have sent the pieces to Hornady. They must be doing something wrong.

testhop
11-26-2007, 09:07 AM
He went straight up, made a short run and spun in. I would say 20 yd's at the most.
I also found a dead deer close to where mine fell. My friends daughter shot it earlier and we never found a single drop of blood. She used a .223. The inside of the deer was a mess and she went about 150 yd's.
I have been trying to convince him to get a larger gun like a 30-30 for her. She can't hold up any of his rifles so she needs a light gun. I hope this almost lost deer changes her mind.

or maybe a remington model 7 in 7-08 or 243 thay are light kickers and good deer rifles

tom

475/480
11-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Very nice and good shootin.

Sean

Adam10mm
11-27-2007, 12:17 AM
First off nice pics. Interesting.

Second of all, the 7mm-08 is great for a youngster. I had a Tikka but sold it a few years ago. I'm getting another one soon. Love it. Very light kicker.

Lastly, .223 for deer, use at least a 64gr Win PP. I've taken several deer with this in a factory load from a Mini-14 I had. My neice is using a Rossi single shot 223. I loaded up some of my 64gr PP (24gr Varget~ 2700fps) for her. Inside of 100y it's backstraps and neck roast.

Still waiting to get my deer. Both the 10mm and 45/70 are stoked with handloads right now. Haven't gotten a deer in 4 years.