PDA

View Full Version : First big game with the rcbs 7mm 168 sp

Wolfer
12-07-2013, 08:37 PM

I had a few minutes this afternoon and since it is still deer season here i got out to do a little calling and deer hunting. After the first set of squeaks I saw this critter slipping in. It was in some pretty thick cedars about 25 yds out and its shoulder was covered by a limb. it had already seen me so it was shoot now or forever hold my piece. I opted to shoot. I had to track it about 50 yds or a little less.
Boolit is soft, 1 WW to 2 PB ahead of 16 gr of 2400 for 1500 fps. It showed some expansion as some entrails were hanging out the other side. I would have liked to of had a shoulder shot but sometimes you have to take the shot they give you or pass on the shot.

woody

missionary5155
12-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Greetings and Congradulations !
Those pooddy-cats are tough to get. Well done ! Good looking healthy feline !
I am partial to soft boolits myself. I shoot range lead and 25%-75% (WW-range lead) at all sorts of vermin. I do not get to 50-50 till over 1800 fps impact velocity.
What rifle is that? First look I thought it was a stubby short carbine.
Mike in Peru

Silvercreek Farmer
12-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Nice! Are you going to have the pelt tanned?

Lefty SRH
12-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Cool , what 7mm cartridge?

Wolfer
12-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys
The rifle is a Turkish Mauser. 7x57 It the first rifle I built completely myself. 20" Adams and Bennett barrel, timney trigger, stock is a wood plus from Brownells. Scope is a 2 x7 leopold.
This is my favorite rifle to hunt with. While its very accurate with cast I don't deer hunt with cast. I feel it's a little light. I've been hunting here at home with cast in it because I have a dog that will trail on a leash in the event I needed it.
Not sure if I'll sell it or hang it on the wall. While I've killed lots of coyotes this is the second cat I've called in. The first is already on the wall. Woody

waksupi
12-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Nice trophy! Good shooting!

Your 7X57 is PLENTY for deer hunting.

Wolfer
12-08-2013, 08:43 AM
I've killed lots of deer with this rifle using jacketed. The 7x57 is certainly one of the best thin skinned game calibers ever made. Some might say it is the best. I might be one of those.
However, for me cast and deer start at 30 cal. This gun has too much twist and too small a bore for me to get interested in deer hunting with it. Can I kill a deer with it? Absolutely. I don't have a lot of deer here at home and I'm not wild about shooting them. I try to take these deer with handgun only. This allows me to do a lot more hunting than shooting. That may not make sense to everybody but I love to hunt.
I don't see many testimonials on critters taken with cast in 7mm but as soon as it gets light enough to see Il go see if I can make us one. Woody

Lefty SRH
12-08-2013, 09:13 AM
7x57 is one of my favorite calibers! I have two rifles in 7x57, a Ruger No.1 RSI and a sporterized Brazian 98/1908 Mauser. But ive had a hard time getting them to shoot cast. Ill try some more next year when it warms up and hunting season is over.

white eagle
12-08-2013, 11:28 AM
very nice

Wolfer
12-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Well, no testimonials this morning. Wind was swirly and I got busted twice. Left my chewing tobacco at home. When I had to answer natures call I came home since it was about 200 yds away.

This gun shoots this boolit extremely well as long as it doesn't pass 1500 fps. At 50 yds there's only about 2" difference in POI with jacketed loads. My buddy has one and while checking zero before deer season I had him shoot a couple in his gun. They landed about 3/4" apart a foot or so below his other group.

If nothing else these are great plinkers. Yesterday the sound of the impact was almost as loud as the shot. Woody