PDA

View Full Version : 500 S&W 8-3/8 Original..Remove MuzzleBreak?

BossHoss
12-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi,

I really want to remove the muzzle break on my SW500 8 3/8 original cannon.

Has anyone had this done? I hate it for the blowback and the lead throwing ...I only shoot lead 440 GC out of this, and hate the blowback.

If YOU have had it done....what was your experience afterwards??

Gunslinger1911
12-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I had a 4" 500 with the break / comp, my issue was BLAST !! A member here did a group buy for some blank comps (no holes). I'll try to find his name for you.

The general attitude here is the comp is useless except for making the muzzle blast worse. The bullet weight to powder gas volume ratio is huge. I felt no difference in recoil after the change.

BossHoss
12-07-2013, 07:31 PM
I have the Original first issue 500 with the "fixed" comp. I would like it removed, for sure.

Just don't know if there is something that needs to replace it or not after it is removed. I would like to know what the "smith" has to do to remove it.

Gunslinger1911
12-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Oh, sorry, I forgot there were fixed comps. Bummer. I would guess a smith could shorten barrel and reset sight.

Socal147
12-18-2013, 12:19 AM
A while back I read an old post somewhere with a member stated shooting lead would eventually plug the compensator. Sounds like a deal to me. I have a 6.5 with built in compensator. Never thought about the removable ones. Never had a problem getting sprayed with lead.

Whiterabbit
12-23-2013, 01:35 PM
shoot softer lead, it'll spit right at you.

The compensator DOES work, and very well. Too well. I can shoot the BFR all day long and am OK. The X-frame recoils far less and is very easy on the wrist as a result. But I have to stop after 60-80 rounds or so. The concussion from the compensator is too strong, and fatigues me to poor performance.

I agree it's better to simply have no compensator.

BossHoss
12-23-2013, 06:00 PM
I really don't want to hacksaw-dremel the comp off, but I have thought about it. LOL

I hate the damn thing. I know this is a first gen 500, and may be collectable some day, but I don't care.

I want it gone.

krit29-2
12-24-2013, 12:19 PM
well the problem would be the barrel it's self , with the removal of the comp that is..
the .500 uses uses a two-part barrel assembly consisting of in internal rifled barrel tube, and a separate enclosing barrel shroud.
When assembled, a barrel shroud is first placed over the index tabs on the front of the frame, and then the barrel tube is inserted and threaded into the frame.
the fixed comp on the first generation guns is what the other end of the barrel is threaded into.. ( think of the Dan Wesson guns where you could change the barrels, they used a barrel nut that you tightened to keep the barrel under tension , holding everything together.. S&W's new barrels are the same idea except they use the comp instead of the barrel nut )
changing the barrels to a newer non comped barrel can be done, however.. it calls for a trip back to S&W.
I've called and checked on having one of my first gen 500's changed from the 8-3/8 to a four inch and the nice person at S&W explained the whole process to me... and sent a call tag.
a money order for 115.00 and four weeks later I had my gun back with a new barrel..
as for the comp on the first gen guns, I've never had a problem with "blowback" from them,, just keep them clean.. ( wooden chopsticks seem to work rather well cleaning the ports , also clean the inside of the comp too.. 20 gauge shotgun brush does wonders )

heres a youtube of someone who chopped a 500 barrel.. showing the details toward the end of the video , it may explain it better that I can..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJnivVRtTHA

bhn22
12-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Perhaps you can find a 'smith who would bore out the comp portion of the barrel, and sleeve it to disable the comp. I doubt the comp portion is rifled, so this might be a possible fix for you.

shorty500M
12-24-2013, 08:12 PM
the early comps were held in place by 2 extension tabs that fit into slots in shroud and the comp is retained by the shoulder on barrel. the easiest way to remove would be to have it machined back to remove the slots and just shy of cutting into the shoulder on barrel.

BossHoss
12-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks,

this is the best info , yet.

Gotta decide which way to go now...S&W or to my smith for a custom job.