PDA

View Full Version : Black powder find

mattd
12-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Got a bunch of BP stuff. It was all thrown in a bucket, and here are the things I'm not sure what they are.

First from left....
1. Bag of balls. Anywhere from .428-.453 on a single ball. To small for a 50 cal w patch?

2. Obviously has a nipple wrench on one end, but looks like it does more. T/C stamped on the side.

3. Look jus trike down spouts for powder dispenser, but I only found one dispenser and it was complete. These are diff sizes. Would you need more then one size?

4. Got me? Pointed. Bout 1.5 inches long.

5. Look like small powder measures, but no numerical increments, just rings that a snap ring catches. The back one is threaded on the outside.

6. Just a small funnel. What do you need this for? Easy enuf to fill rifle, etc.

7. Looks like a rubber stopper for the end of the barrel. But it's pretty big just to act as a cork.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/mattd1978/a3ebdccdd76220a55f866738ecbb33b6_zps32fbc4bc.jpg

And this too. Looks to be somewhere around .38 cal.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/mattd1978/7fed52dc79ab36e7a46b4b24f943c58d_zpsc5831f2a.jpg

Ohio Rusty
12-07-2013, 05:18 PM
The wrench is a T/C nipple wrench but it also is used for taking the stock key out of the hawken rifle to release the barrel from the stock. It also has a little flat hammer on one end for tapping the key back in.

The threaded brass spouts are for the old CVA round powder holder. It was spring loaded and had a thumb button that opened and closed the powder holder.
You could get different size grain spouts that screwed into the end. One of those is a 30 grainer, maybe you also have a 20 grainer for a cap-n-ball pistol.

You have two powder measures next to the box of balls. One of those measures would have had a round brass ring attached to it that the brass funnel attached to. You swung the funnel over the end of the barrel and poured your powder into the barrel thru the funnel. No spilling of powder. See if either one of the bottoms of those measure unscrews and reveals a wire for clearing the nipple hole if it was plugged or fouled.

Next to the funnel is a turkey call !!! You don't blow into it, but you suck on the end ....pulling in air like you are kissing it with pursed lips. The funnel makes the turkey call louder. Just a modern version of the wingbone turkey call.

To the left of the funnel are two more powder measures with the ball end. You pull on the ball end and each line on the measure is 10 grains. They probably throw 80 grains max.
The conical BP boolits look like T/C maxi hunters because the end is round, not pointed. Do they have a little hollowpoint dimple in the end?

The mould is a cap-n-ball mould that imitated the old colt pistol mould. It makes one round ball and one conical, probably .375 in diameter. Those were made alot in italy and distributed by dixie gun works. The early ones were a pretty good mould and made decent boolits, but got hot really fast.

I guess I just showed my age .....

Ohio Rusty ><>

"Control the food, and you control the people ...... control oil, and you control nations" ....... Henry Kissenger, 1970

mattd
12-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Wow. Thanks. One quick, great answer.

I can use the key puller. Always struggling to push it thru from the opposite end.

There are actually 4 diff downspouts. One of the small powder measures is actually a stubby downspout. Plus the one that is already on the powder holder.

The stuff in the background is other stuff. The bullets are actually the lee 310g 44! I looked over the powder measures tho and didn't find the ring to attach the funnel. Found a pic on the web of what is supposed to look like tho.

Got the biggest kick out of the turkey call. The best I can do right now is more of a song bird chirp.

That just leaves that pointed brass thing with threads on the back.

Thanks again!

frkelly74
12-07-2013, 05:43 PM
#4 .I have seen pointed brass tips with threads on them in bullet starter kits. It threads into the short ball starter rod and is for starting hollow point bullets down the bore from the muzzle. I have a collection of them in different profiles taken from a bucket at our local range. It may help in not distorting the hollow point nose of a bullet, or it may be a good solution for a nonexistent problem.