PDA

View Full Version : Someone just handed me a 310 and 38 die set

cwheel
12-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Hi all,
Someone just handed me a 310 set in 38/357. Ran a few through as a test, seams to work out great. Also a extra seater die with a round nose plug with the set. ( 5 die set ) I notice the crimp is built into the seating die. Anything special about running rounds with this set, or just business as usual, just at a somewhat slower pace ??
Chris

dbosman
12-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Business as usual.
Add a set of Lee dippers for a convenient portable kit.

Green Frog
12-08-2013, 11:10 AM
+1 to dbosman. Sometimes we look at the 310 tool as though it were something different. It's just a little tiny press that works just like a single stage bench press with a slightly different motion. If you really want to understand what you are doing, step by step, there is no substitute for a good old 310 tool. It will also bring back "casual" to the process!

BTW, since the seating plug and the die that carries it may be adjusted independently, you can back off on the crimp function to just remove the belling then adjust the crimp as "hard" as you want. It takes longer to describe than to do, but what I do is back the crimp out completely, then run the seater plug in deep enough to get the bullet seated where I want it. Then I back the seater plug way out and turn the crimp die in to get desired crimp. Finally, without changing the crimp die, I bring the plug back down to just touch the (properly) seated bullet. Lock and load!

If you want to taper crimp with the 310 (especially for 45 ACP) simply seat the bullet and use the crimp die to just remove the mouth belling. Then go back to the muzzle resizing die for your final, tapered crimp. How cool is that?

Froggie