PDA

View Full Version : 1888 Commission Rifles

Beekeeper
12-07-2013, 04:19 PM
I have 2 of them that I built several years ago.
Have shot them only to prove they worked.
Now that I am no longer making Bubba's I am wanting to shoot them.
They both have .318 barrels and came out of South America so the stocks looked more like clubs than rifle stocks.
Stocks are now a 75/25 mix of wood and accra glass.

I am not looking for loads for them but am looking for someone who has them and shoots them to bounce some questions off of via PM or e-mail.Mostly Paper patch versus loobe groove and brass questions

If interested let me know!

beekeeper

gew98
12-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Wish I could help you but all my gew88's have their original german .321" + bores and handle ..323" bullets perfectly fine.

wellfedirishman
12-10-2013, 01:55 AM
Ive had good results with Trailboss and cast lead bullets. Sub 1 inch at 50 yards.

They are very fun guns to shoot and accurate too.

Multigunner
12-10-2013, 02:10 AM
I have 2 of them that I built several years ago.
Have shot them only to prove they worked.
Now that I am no longer making Bubba's I am wanting to shoot them.
They both have .318 barrels and came out of South America so the stocks looked more like clubs than rifle stocks.
Stocks are now a 75/25 mix of wood and accra glass.

I am not looking for loads for them but am looking for someone who has them and shoots them to bounce some questions off of via PM or e-mail.Mostly Paper patch versus loobe groove and brass questions

If interested let me know!

beekeeper

Ask around for Enfield owners who's rifles have over sized bores, find out what bullets they have found that will work.
Paper patching of boolits that wouldn't fill the bore otherwise may be the best way to go.

leadman
12-10-2013, 02:13 AM
I have a friend that has one with the .318" bore and he is shooting my Lyman 160gr. Loverin boolit sized .323". He is using Unique, IIRC about 12 or 14 grs. He is able to hit the 200 yard gong with it so accuracy is decent. The boolits are about 14 BHN.
I slugged the barrel for him with this boolit cast of pure lead and it slid thru the barrel with no problems.
The throat on his barrel is larger than bore size, about .321" I think. Filling the throat with the boolit is actually more important than matching bore size, within reason.

jaystuw
12-17-2013, 10:52 PM
beekeeper, How about our southern california weather? cold last week, and now mild and warm! Not what I was expecting. Anyway, I'm also a 88 fan. I shoot lyman/ideal 323378 and 323366's as cast, and use them in all my 88's regardless of bore size. Never the slightest problem. However, I do load very mild for short range, high volume plinking, about a 100 or more rounds per a session. The smooth action and fast loading en bloc clips make These rifles perfect for this type of shooting, I go through my 12 clips in no time! Jay

3006guns
12-18-2013, 05:38 AM
Jaystuw is correct........I use a couple of .323 Loverins in my 88 carbines without a hitch. J-words are another matter entirely.

The best tip I picked up on this site is to take a case fired in that rifle and see if you can gently push your lead boolit in normally. If it goes in with very modest effort, then there is sufficient neck clearance in the chamber to let go of it and the soft lead will conform to the grooves nicely. It works!

mikeym1a
12-18-2013, 05:54 AM
I presently have 2 complete guns, and two partials. One of the partials has the S. American barrel, and I've yet to shoot it. Plus I got an '88 barrel off fleabay, but until I get it properly cleaned and pressed, I'm not sure if it is the .311/.318, or the S. American .308/.318. One of my shooters is dated 1890, and has the 'S' mods. the other is dated 1894, and does not, however, the barrel is so washed out that the best I've gotten with it is an 8" group at 50yds. Don't know if my small knowledge will be of any help to you, but you're welcome to whatever info I can contribute. :-)