PDA

View Full Version : lapping an 870

mike_kaleigh
12-07-2013, 10:50 AM
i bought an 870 about a year ago it has peep sights and magpul stock set. but i can tell Remington's finish quality went down. the slide was rough and the inside of the barrel is also. i am getting excessive fowling. if you look down the barrel when if first got it you could see the machining marks in the forcing cone and the rest of the bore just looked rough. i have put at least 500 rounds threw the gun now and the pump has really smoothed out and the barrel looks some what smooth but the forcing cone is really needs help. the gun was always rough on wads with my slug loads and shot loads. i have never lapped a shot gun barrel but would like to try, if i mess it up i will just buy a new one and consider it a lesson on what not to do. (rem barrels are cheap) i was thinking a brake hone for the forcing cone to start then getting 800 or 1000 grit sandpaper and raping it around a dowel rod. then finishing it with polishing compound on a mop and cleaning rod. am i thinking right here or is there a better way because i am all ears.

stripercrazy
12-07-2013, 11:06 AM
shooting muzzleloaders we use jb bore paste to help barrels that are rusted pitted rough it's not fast i'm sure

seaboltm
12-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Send it to Mike Orlen. He is very good, and very fast:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=36237

pipehand
12-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Ajay's method worked for my Rem Express.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?119484-Forcing-cone-questions

longbow
12-07-2013, 12:41 PM
The brake cylinder hone should work fine for the forcing cone. I just did a touch up on my gun. Haven't shot it yet to see if it helped but it wasn't bad anyway.

As for the bore, I would imagine casting a lapping slug in the bore then stroke end to end as for a rifle barrel would work but fire lapping might be easier. If you have a full bore slug a light coat of fine lapping compound should smooth the bore after a few shots.

I have not lapped a shotgun bore but with the size of the slug it may be hard to hand lap if the slug is a close fit due to the large bearing/grit holding area ~ lots of drag. If you could cast a slug then relieve the middle and leave a bearing band at each end then load the middle with lapping compound, that might make things easier.

I would be inclined to try fire lapping with full bore slugs and light loads though. Also, best to use old hulls then toss them after use because they will probably wind up with lapping compound remaining in them.

Just my thoughts.

Longbow

lancem
12-08-2013, 10:50 AM
http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=6

mike_kaleigh
12-08-2013, 04:55 PM
lancem that would be a great product but it would cost more than a premium barrel. so today i bought a brake hone 14 bucks, a 1/2 dowel rod and some sand paper. started with the break hone on the forcing cone area. then cut the dowel rod and with a slit in the end. rapped sand paper with a rag strip behind it. started with 220 grit then 440 then 600 then 1000. it worked great the cone is smooth and shinny. cant wait to shoot it this weekend. and that was easy