PDA

View Full Version : Something I've never understood

jonk
11-21-2007, 09:45 AM
I like swapping and trading as much as the next guy, and sometimes it works out great; but on occasion I've seen someone with something "WTT" and I don't have what he wants. So I offer him cash. On more than one occasion, he refused (and by he I mean multiple guys).

Huh? I thought cash was king! Use the cash to buy what you DO want! And if you can't find it, buy something else! If anything, swapping, unless face to face, is MORE trouble!

Reminds me of a landlord I had once. Her office was right across the street so I'd just go over and pay in person, not mail.... and she wouldn't take cash. Which prompted me to say two things- "You'd rather have a check- that might bounce- than cash in hand?" and "This note is legal tender for ALL debts- public and private."

Strange people in this world......

Char-Gar
11-21-2007, 09:53 AM
cause...the guy figures he can trade his item for something he can't buy with the amount of cash you offer. Not too hard to understand. Makes pretty good sense to me. Now offer enough cash and he will part with it. Money does talk, but the more you offer, the louder it speaks.

1Shirt
11-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Yep, Charger got it right! It isn't the factor of cash vs trade, it is the factor of the quantity of cash offered.
1Shirt!:coffee:

imashooter2
11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Might also be that cash would belong to the houshold but a trade is a completely transparent transaction to SWMBO.

VTDW
11-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Some of us are just overloaded with cash and don't need any more of the stuff.:twisted:

Dave

The Double D
11-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Might also be that cash would belong to the houshold but a trade is a completely transparent transaction to SWMBO.

Never truer words were spoke!!!

Ed Barrett
11-21-2007, 12:47 PM
I knew a fellow that would always trade rifles rather than do money transactions. He said his wife didn't know much about guns and when she looked in the closet where he kept his guns she couldn't tell one from another, but she could count.

Bullshop
11-21-2007, 01:10 PM
If I trade an item for cash the cash can and usually does disappear then I have nothing. If I trade for another item I still have something. Something is better than nothing, simple.
BIC/BS

mike in co
11-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Reminds me of a landlord I had once. Her office was right across the street so I'd just go over and pay in person, not mail.... and she wouldn't take cash. Which prompted me to say two things- "You'd rather have a check- that might bounce- than cash in hand?" and "This note is legal tender for ALL debts- public and private."

Strange people in this world......

office policy....no cash in the office.....if you steal my cash , i'm screwed, if you steal my checks, i just ask for a new one.....

just gotta look at it from a different view.....

not a right /wrong thing

mike

jonk
11-21-2007, 02:27 PM
ah, now the transparency issue of a wife/girlfreind/mother/whoever.......that makes sense!

Harry O
11-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Don't feel too bad. Some time ago, I did not happen to have any ready cash, but there was a gun being offered for $695. In a moment of weakness, I offered the guy two ounces of gold back when it was $400 per ounce. I thought that was fair. He didn't. He acted like I was insulting with the offer. Now that gold is $850 an ounce, I am glad he did not take me up on it.

shotstring
11-21-2007, 11:11 PM
About 25 years ago, I worked at a gun store in Los Angeles, and so had access to looking through the stacks of rifles when they came in. One day I found a Winchester 9422 with Presentation Grade wood. Most gorgeous wood I have ever seen gracing a rifle. Turns out, a few weeks later, a customer came into the store wearing a large gold nugget that he turned into a medallion worn round his neck. Almost 2 full ounces. I really wanted it, so offered to trade my presentation grade rifle, unfired in the box. Some time later, I was a bit strapped, and sold the gold for cash. Now I have neither the gold nor the rifle.

Bent Ramrod
11-22-2007, 12:01 PM
The rules are different when the market becomes something that isn't made any more or is otherwise hard to find. The only time currency gets into this situation is when somebody is strapped for it for some reason, or you make him an offer he can't refuse.

The old Stevens rifle testimonials frequently ended with: "I would not sell this rifle if I could not get another." In the case of a lot of gun stuff, this is pretty much the normal situation anymore.

S.R.Custom
11-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Especially now that the dollar is circling the drain.