PDA

View Full Version : Pc boolits in black powder cartridges.

owejia
12-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Been reading about the advantages of pc [powder coating] boolits. Couldn't find any threads about using them with bp. Anyone doing this? Have several older top break revolvers in 38 s & w cartridge, some of these I use bp loads in. Any reason why pc boolits won't work with bp? Thanks

bigted
12-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Pc ???

Red River Rick
12-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Be prepared for the answers that'll be given...................:popcorn:

country gent
12-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Powder Coated bullets wont do anything to keep fouling soft and managable. The bullet lube not only needs to control leading but with black powder keep fouling from getting hard and crusty. You could give it a try and see how it does. Maybe ask for some "test bullets" load and try them.

waksupi
12-06-2013, 08:28 PM
I would want a thick lube cookie behind them.

Oreo
12-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Sounds to me like pc in bp is either insufficient or overkill depending on whether you also use a traditional loob.

bigted
12-08-2013, 01:45 AM
oh my !!!

DangerousDrummer
12-08-2013, 12:32 PM
I use PC Lee REAL pure lead cast bullets in my muzzie with 2f 777. They are easy to load, and no leading, but make no difference as far as powder cleanup. I can shoot up to 20 rounds w/o cleaning, but have found that going that long makes the breach plug hard to remove which has nothing to do with the bullet as it does not sit that deep. I have considered putting a hole in a gas check and putting it in ahead of the breach plug to see if it isolates the breach plug from the crud ring.

I would shoot them in BPCR also, but I don't think they conform to NRA competition rules so they would not likely work for competition but would probably be great for hunting. I love them in my 458 SOCOM which uses bullets cast in a mold intended for 45-70. I size them w/o lube, PC them and then size them again using froglube w/o gas checks with no leading at all. (All of my barrels have been froglube treated so cleaning is never a problem, but that is another story)

Overall, my use of PC bullets indicates that they work good at slower twist rates and speed, but would probably not work well if using high speed fast twist. Everything I shoot is big and slow except my 223 AR upper, but I don't cast for it anyway as accuracy would not be what I want from it. I use it to practice reading the wind so I shoot low speed 50 gn plated which really turn in a breeze.

CanoeRoller
12-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Most of the boolits I shoot in my buffalo rifles are politically correct. I would say they all were but there was that one boolit in Idaho that said, "Up yours hillbilly! I am only rocking this ram!"

Aje
12-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Hi Mate
I have seen this done at a cowboy action club I shoot at. Long story short it didn't go well, the rifle a Uberti 73 in 44/40 fouled out in less than 5 shots & couldn't even hit a 16" plate at 25 yards. He put about 30 rounds through the rifle before asking me to take a look After a quick examination of the rifle I asked about the bullets & lube he used, they were commercially cast & coated bullets we get over here in Australia.
They made a hell of a mess to the point of not being able to get a cleaning rod down the barrel we had to plug the chamber and pour hot soapy water down the barrel to loosen the fouling before swabbing it out.
They may work with a lube cookie but I think you'd be better off not coating them & lubing them conventionally

Aje

owejia
12-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks Aje that is what I need to know. Thanks