PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 BL ???

tcrocker
12-06-2013, 05:48 PM
I was hoping that someone could tell me if Marlin has gotten any better than when they first got bought by Remington. I was looking a the 336BL. I lover shorter guns and this one would fit the bill but I don't want to drop the cash and get a pile of junk. I did that with the 1895GBL when they first came out and it just wouldn't eject a non spent round.

oscarflytyer
12-06-2013, 07:50 PM
in a nutshell - No. Go over to Marlin Owners forum and check out the opinions. I bought an older 45-70 because no way I wanted a new one...

sharpsguy
12-06-2013, 08:03 PM
A friend of mine just bought a Remlin 1895 in 45-70 for his wife. Pistol grip, 22 inch barrel, walnut stock. Every thing works, and it cycles a lot smoother than my 6 year old Marlin Cowboy in 45-70. A LOT better wood and wood to metal fit than my gun. They both shoot. We mounted a TruGlo 3x9 scope with a lighted reticle for her and the rifle will hit its bullet strikes on a steel plate at 100 yards. I put three in 1 1/2 inches at 150 yards on a steel plate with it. Load is a 480 grain Lyman 457121 over 36 grains of 3031. The lady killed her first deer with it day before yesterday, a doe at 90 yards. One shot, DRT. Works for her, and she loves it.

KLR
12-06-2013, 08:10 PM
I looked at one in 30-30 at a local gun shop a month ago. It looked horrible. I couldn't believe the crude wood work and poor fit and finish. My Chinese SKS looks better. I don't know how long it had been on their rack. Yesterday I was at Walmart and looked at another 336 in 30-30. It was amazingly better. Fit and finish were good, but not quite as nice as the 15 year old one my son has. Still, I'd have no problem owning the one from Walmart. I'd guess that the stock in Walmart turns over faster and that it was a newer one? Or maybe the quality is just spotty?

Guesser
12-06-2013, 10:59 PM
The True Value hardware store here got in 4 new 336W models in 30-30. First remlins I have seen. The wood was good, fitted well. Cycled them, smooth. I did not like the bead blasted black painted finish on all the metal, even the bolt was black.

tcrocker
12-07-2013, 11:21 AM
I haven't seen a gun in a hardware store in years.

singleshot
12-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Well, tcrocker, that's one of the differences between life in the "BIG SKY" and the Prattville, Wetumpku, Millbrook area. I've lived in both MT and AL (Millbrook.) Every place I've lived has pluses and minuses. In some ways, MT is just like the rest of country MANY, MANY years ago. I remember when we got our first Walmart in 2000ish in Great Falls...

Guesser
12-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Yup, walmart is still there and I still don't go in there. It's 40 miles one way, if I'm going to go that far i'm not going to be insulted by association with ignoramuses.

robertbank
12-07-2013, 01:16 PM
I have a 336W made in 2012 and the gun is well made, the action is smooth and the wood to metal fit is very good. No complaints with the gun at all and it loves my 311041 cast boolits which is a bonus. It may be the exception and it maybe that some folks just like picking on scabs.

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
12-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Double Post

KLR
12-07-2013, 04:21 PM
... it maybe that some folks just like picking on scabs.

Could be, but based on the two identical models I examined both opinions can be backed up. The first looked worse than any gun I've ever seen - including Chinese guns and American pot metal cheapos. The second looked good, albeit with a black rather than blued finish.

robertbank
12-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I wonder if there is a specific year they get better or if it is just hit and miss. Shame really because the design is excellent.

I just bought a $149 Norinco .22LR Lever gun from a guy as I dončt want to chase down a new 39 only to find out it is not what it should be.

Take Care

Bob

oscarflytyer
12-08-2013, 02:27 AM
I now own 3 "vintage" original Marlins. ~ 1970's - 1980's. When I recently picked up my 1978 1895 45-70, there were a number of Remlins at the show I went to. I would not have given 1/2 what I bought my 'old' Marlin for, for a new one. Ugly wood, poor checkering, dull metal finish. Overall, generally what I would consider an ugly gun. That doesn't even take into account the issue that Remlins have had with barrel droop, etc.

I am not picking any scabs. Some like their new Marlins. They have to be MUCH better than any I have seen. My LGS won't even sell the new ones - and he is very high volume (one of biggest in SE). In full disclosure mode, I will willingly admit that I much favor older vintage guns - 50's and earlier Savage 99s, original Marlins, older Remingtons (14/141/8/81) and old Winchester Model 12s. Old Milsurps as well. Maybe this has a lot of influence on my opinions of Remlins... ymmv.

Nrut
12-08-2013, 05:22 AM
I was hoping that someone could tell me if Marlin has gotten any better than when they first got bought by Remington. I was looking a the 336BL. I lover shorter guns and this one would fit the bill but I don't want to drop the cash and get a pile of junk. I did that with the 1895GBL when they first came out and it just wouldn't eject a non spent round.
tc,
Did Remington make good on the GBL that wouldn't eject?
I haven't used or seen any of the newer Marlins since Remington took over so I can't speak to that..

Airman Basic
12-08-2013, 06:45 AM
It's 40 miles one way, if I'm going to go that far i'm not going to be insulted by association with ignoramuses.
What'cha doing hanging around with us, then:veryconfu

robertbank
12-08-2013, 12:31 PM
How about we cool it you two, (Airman Basic, Guesser).

Take Care

Bob

Jack Stanley
12-08-2013, 05:17 PM
I think the quality has been hit and miss for a long time , I noticed it going south in the nineties so it can't be blamed entirely on Remington . The rifle I bought then was a reloaders bad dream ( oversized , out of round chamber ) . You would have thought the British chambered it for them in the forties , but then I got better chambers on my wartime SMLE rifles .

I think my other 30WCF rifle is an "A" model dating to the early fifties with the four groove barrel . When I could see the sights it shot very well with no problems except keeping ammo on hand . I just don't have the heart to drill and tap it so I'm going to leave it alone and shoot something else .

Jack

Airman Basic
12-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Yeah, bought a Rossi Stainless 357 with a 16 in. barrel few weeks ago. Read all the bad stuff here and elsewhere how I'd have nothing but trouble. Couldn't resist, the dadgum thing was so purty. Turned out, she performs like a dream and still looks good to me, even after paying too much. Now, I'm looking over some Marlins, and they're singing that siren song at me. Anybody bring me to my senses?

Magnum6
12-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Well Airman , beauty is in the eye of the beholder my Friend:wink: . That's why we all buy what look's pretty good to us . Some time's it doesn't work out for the good , and some time's" , they Excede our wildest dream's . I don't own any of the Rossi rifle's , but I've have seen three real nice one's 357.... S/S Rossi's at a gun shop's near me here . All of those seemed to have Great" fit too finish on them , Beautiful Wood" , and Very Sharp looking rifle's" . I Love them all S/S Lever Rifle's , so I'm pretty sure from seeing Those 3 , that at least all 3 of those , from the fit and finish of that wood and the rest of the rifle , I'd say they more than likely , shoot pretty good as well . I'd sure try one on for size @ the range if I got a chance man :mrgreen:

Magnum6

TXGunNut
12-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Now, I'm looking over some Marlins, and they're singing that siren song at me. Anybody bring me to my senses? Airman Basic

No help here. Seems leverguns are like horses, they like company. Hope I always have room for one more because they show up from time to time and need to be taken home.

tcrocker
12-25-2013, 01:16 PM
I got the BL wood is not perfect but not bad and she can shoot..

Tradhunter
12-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Good looking rifle.

robertbank
12-26-2013, 01:51 AM
I do like the larger loop lever. Very nice.

Bob

colt1960
12-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Ive got a Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70 remlin I bought new in Feb.-2012. I love the gun. Fit and finish is nice and it cycles and shoots great. I think the Remington made rifles are hit and miss. Mabe it has something to do with which employee puts them together Im not sure. I wont purchase one without holding it in my hands and checking it over. Ordering one sight unseen wont ever happen for me. I would buy another one in a heartbeat but only after checking it out in person. Rick!

tcrocker
12-26-2013, 07:30 PM
This group was fired off bench with scope at 50yds using 26gr IMR4198 and a Lee 150gr fn lubes with Lee liq lube.