PDA

View Full Version : tried search but failed- how to plug lyman size dies?

trickyasafox
11-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Sorry all- im sure this has been covered- but im not using the right search terms to find it.

I want to plug the top holes on a lyman size die- (unless there is a good reason to plug the bottom instead?)

basically i'm sizing and lubing lee 230gr tc 45 cal bullets to .452 and am getting lube all over the nose and in the grooves. I'm using an RCBS LAM II-

if i try to shorten it up so only the top holes get exposed i'm afraid i won't fully size the boolit- but i fully admit i only played with a couple before just deciding it was better to ask people who actually know.

any and all advice is appreciated.

mike

IcerUSA
11-21-2007, 01:22 AM
Try some number 4 or 6 shot , put one in yhe hole you want to plug and upset it with a small flat punch . As long as you dont try to use it without the return rod in the sizer die they should stay in until you remove them .

Worked for me :)

Keith

standles
11-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I run the same type bullet in my 450. I just shortened it up and it worked fine.

I set my sizing depth by running a couple without putting lube it them. I can easily see the sizing marks and know that I an indeed sizing the bands. Then I add lube pressure and grease them up.

Steven

sturf
11-21-2007, 10:46 AM
J B Weld works great

Beans
11-22-2007, 02:27 AM
J B Weld works great

The lead shot is a less perment solution and works just as well.

When you change bullet types and the lube groves are different you can just change the shot

Magma Engineering includes shot with the sizing dies they sell for the Star luber