PDA

View Full Version : Never had this happen before!! Incident with inertia boolit puller

TheCelt
12-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Was loading some 45 ACP rounds and not paying attention like I should, primer tube ran empty and I had one or two rounds with no primer. Broke out the handy inertia Boolit puller and put one in. Smacked it on a piece of wood (on a concrete floor) and felt like I got punched in the face!!! The cap split in two and the round + holder came back and hit me in the mouth busting both of my lips. I found half of the cap and there is evidence that it had been cracked for a long time. I sure didn't notice it though. I mentioned the incident to a friend and learned something new. he said he always screws the cap on TIGHT the first round as the cap will flex if it's cracked. He didn't tell me but it sounded like he had the T-shirt already.

Anyways, if ya use an inertial Boolit puller check the cap for cracks!!!

89721 and 89722

dbosman
12-06-2013, 04:52 PM
I had one until that happened to me.
I won't have another one.

TheCelt
12-06-2013, 04:59 PM
I hear ya dbosman, it hurts like you know what. I don't know of any other way of removing Boolits without damaging them though so I'll get another and be careful to check the cap religiously!!! I'm also thinking a full face shield too as the danged Boolit + holder hit me pretty hard.

Skirmisher
12-06-2013, 05:13 PM
rcbs will replace the broken parts

TheCelt
12-06-2013, 05:20 PM
rcbs will replace the broken parts

Good idea Skirmisher, all I need is a new cap. I'll send the pics to them and see what they say.

Larry Gibson
12-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Smacked it on a piece of wood (on a concrete floor)

Supposed to smack the other end............:kidding:

BTW; when you get a new one use the shell holder to hold the cartridge instead of that phony aluminum gizmo. The shell holder will hold the case much solider and you won't break the cap again.

Larry Gibson

TheCelt
12-06-2013, 05:33 PM

Larry Gibson

LOL, go figure!!! I'm learnin new stuff every day!!!! I like the shelholder idea Larry, sounds like a downright brilliant plan!!

TheCelt
12-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Took Skirmisher's advice and sent an e-mail to RCBS explaining what happened. I also explained that this puller was probably 10 years past the expiration of its warranty and could I please buy just the retaining cap.

I just got a reply from RCBS telling me my cap is on the way!!! You can't beat that folks, when a company sends parts up front you know they're serious about customer service!!!

Bullshop Junior
12-06-2013, 09:20 PM
I use the Lee auto prime shell holders. They work great.

CastingFool
12-06-2013, 09:24 PM
I tried to buy a couple of the aluminum gizmos from RCBS once. They just sent me one..........free.
I will check mine over before I use it again.

TheCelt
12-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I tried to buy a couple of the aluminum gizmos from RCBS once. They just sent me one..........free.
I will check mine over before I use it again.

I believe I'm gonna go with Larry Gibson's and Bullshop Junior's suggestion and use shell holders. I've had cases pull through the aluminum holders in the past. This is why I love this site, I'm always learning something and at my age that's hard to do!!!!

Bad Water Bill
12-07-2013, 01:31 AM
I have used that type of puller to pull thousands of boolits over the last 40 or so years.

Yes I have had caps split.

No I have NEVER been hit by anything.

WHY?

I first take the hammer at arms length and practice a stroke first.

Make sure your stroke will hit like you were driving a nail.

Now IF the cap splits it will fly UP and not in your face.

Bullshop Junior
12-07-2013, 04:04 AM
We had one explode ince. Whole unit oblivorated. Didn't bother calling RCBS. The thing lasted over 20 years. RCBS has replaced many many tools for my dad ans myself over the years.

Bullshop Junior
12-07-2013, 04:10 AM
We had one explode ince. Whole unit oblivorated. Didn't bother calling RCBS. The thing lasted over 20 years. RCBS has replaced many many tools for my dad ans myself over the years.

a.squibload
12-07-2013, 04:57 AM
Yeah mine lost the lips off the aluminum collet. Using shellholders now
thanks to advice on CB.

Try dropping an earplug or two in there to protect the booits.

220swiftfn
12-07-2013, 05:12 AM
Had the whole top launch once, the body broke just below the threads, and the whole kit and kaboodle hit the ducting in the ceiling.....

Dan

Ramar
12-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Mine broke at the cap and repaired it with a hose clamp on. Been using it that way for years. Didn't send it back; figured they made 1 bad and probably more.

I recommend striking the puller on a big wooden hammer held in the other hand. Takes less effort. Learned that during the pull down of Chinese '80s Norinco 7.62.
Ramar

gds
12-07-2013, 09:09 AM
I have had that same thing happen to 2 cbs pullets that were way past any warranty. And had been extremely well used. The sent 2 caps no charge. Good company

canyon-ghost
12-07-2013, 01:26 PM
I found using a tubing cutter is my easiest disposal trick. It doesn't salvage the bullets, crimp destroys that. I cut 'em in half to throw away.

dragon813gt
12-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm trying to figure out why your face was directly above it. Much like when framing a house I never have the hammer directly in front of my face. You found out why you never do this.

TheCelt
12-07-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm trying to figure out why your face was directly above it. Much like when framing a house I never have the hammer directly in front of my face. You found out why you never do this.

My face wasn't directly over the puller. I was striking a piece of wood on the floor and I was sitting on a bucket behind the wooden block. When the cap let go I'd say the holder + case + Boolit launched at about a 30 degree angle my way.

smokeywolf
12-07-2013, 05:04 PM
No matter how much force I apply, I can't seem to fit my Hollywood press shellholder into that puller.:kidding:

Have a nice piece of pine I lay on my mill vise. Puller isn't directly under my face.

smokeywolf

Hawkeye45
12-07-2013, 05:17 PM
I have an Al. Gizmo hiding in the shop for over two years now with a .223 case in it. Will find it some day. LOL

Mr. Ed

whelenshooter
12-07-2013, 07:18 PM
I had one of the Midway units that is similar but blue with an aluminum handle shaft. It lasted 10-15 years even disassembling some military fmj rifle rounds. Finally disintegrated at the striking end. Now have an rcbs model. Hopefully I'll get as much service out of it.

Freightman
12-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I use a piece of tree trunk sit up on end to hit the puller on, works good and asorbs the shock real good.

popper
12-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Just use your sizing die without the primer punch. You got to resize the case anyway. Boolit usually just pops out and then dump the powder back in the jug.

geargnasher
12-07-2013, 10:52 PM
I've blow up two caps, one on an ancient RCBS type (made by that company in Marble Falls, Tx, can't remember the name), and one on an all-plastic cheapo that wears a lot of names like FA and Natchez. I use regular shellholders in them. The failures have all been, as best I can tell, MY fault for not having the cap tight enough. I just snug it, which is good for one hit, but by the second or third hit it's loose and the slide-hammer effect on the cap threads must be more of a shock load than it can handle, like hitting a baseball with a limp grip on the bat.

I went back to using the collets that came with the tools and haven't had trouble since.

One other thing: I like to hit the mallet on a block of soft lead. The two hammers idea is one I hadn't thought of, might have to try that with a hard plastic deadblow hammer (Snap-On).

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-07-2013, 11:17 PM
...snip...
One other thing: I like to hit the mallet on a block of soft lead. The two hammers idea is one I hadn't thought of, might have to try that with a hard plastic deadblow hammer (Snap-On).
Gear
....thinking out loud....
Or maybe a raw hide mallet ?

I ask as I bought the coolest looking large raw hide mallet at a garage sale last summer, and still haven't found a use for it yet.

destrux
12-08-2013, 12:24 AM

BTW; when you get a new one use the shell holder to hold the cartridge instead of that phony aluminum gizmo. The shell holder will hold the case much solider and you won't break the cap again.

Larry Gibson

I do that but I find that it mars the rim and ruins the brass sometimes.

freebullet
12-08-2013, 12:53 AM
You want be to the side of anything you ever hammer.

Ramar
12-08-2013, 04:44 AM
You've got to try the hammer on hammer; it really is alot less effort. I use a 5-6" face wooden hammer in my left hand. When you hit it with the puller the hand with the wooden hammer deflects downward and does not have the sudden complete stop that is achieved when striking a stationary object. The sudden stops are always killers on body and equipment.
Ramar

ElDorado
12-08-2013, 06:29 AM
(made by that company in Marble Falls, Tx, can't remember the name)

Probably Quinetics. It has an aluminum hexagonal shaft. I think they used to make the ones RCBS sold back in the 80s or so. I had one break just below the cap years ago. The second one bends the shaft whenever I use it. I use a collet type puller whenever I can, but those don't work very well on cast.

Hardcast416taylor
12-08-2013, 02:23 PM
I made a dedicated striking object for use in pulling ammo apart with my inerta puller. I started with a 2 ft. piece of 2x10 then screwed together (3) 12" pieces of 4x4 onto it. I once broke the head off at the handle on my RCBS puller. They wanted it sent back before replacing it. Got a new puller about 2 weeks later. I place an E.A.R. earplug in the bottom of the puller to save bullets from deforming. I went to using shellholders in the cap 5 years back, and wondered why I hadn`t done that much earlier?Robert

Springfield
12-08-2013, 03:01 PM
I just hit mine on the side of my Dillon press, use a side swing instead of a straight down swing. I ALWAYS wear safety glasses, wouldn't save my lips though.

TheCelt
12-08-2013, 05:18 PM
I just hit mine on the side of my Dillon press, use a side swing instead of a straight down swing. I ALWAYS wear safety glasses, wouldn't save my lips though.

I wasn't even wearing safety glasses Springfield. I darned sure will in the future though. A lot of good ideas here, shell holders and a mallet among them. When I get the new cap I think I'll give them a try (with safety glasses).

starmac
12-09-2013, 03:28 AM
If quenetics is located in marble falls I never knew it. The only other place that used to be there that might have had that was Burnam Brothers, They made some good calls, I don't know if there was anything else. I liked going to there shop, they were avid hunters, and into muzzle loaders too, but they have been gone from marble falls, for years.

Bad Water Bill
12-09-2013, 04:08 AM
If quenetics is located in marble falls I never knew it. The only other place that used to be there that might have had that was Burnam Brothers, They made some good calls, I don't know if there was anything else. I liked going to there shop, they were avid hunters, and into muzzle loaders too, but they have been gone from marble falls, for years.

Just found this site.

http://www.quineticscorp.com/contactus.asp

Now you have the addy and phone #[smilie=w::bigsmyl2:[smilie=w:

Grapeshot
12-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Had that happen to a couple of my pullers. But the best is when the body of the puller decides to come apart at the seams. Everything goes flying then.