PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a locally procurable sprue plate lube?

Four-Sixty
12-06-2013, 04:11 PM
I am trying to find a local source for a sprue plate lubricant. I am not finding anyone on this site who is selling the lubricant by itself, and I can not find any of the AMSOIL Saber locally either.

Any suggestions for something else I can look for that should be at a good hardware, auto part store?

Spruce
12-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Did you try Randy Rat on this site? A good 2-stroke oil will work.

jmort
12-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Synthetic two stroke oil.

Four-Sixty
12-06-2013, 04:43 PM
I thought I saw him selling it, but it appeared you could buy it with an order for something else. I was just looking for a lube to get locally right at the moment. I do anticipate trying his, but I have some other lube I'd like to use up first.

I am going to be running a couple of new Lee 6 cavity molds, so I want to try and take better care of them than I did my first one. I'll just grab a small bottle of the synthetic two stroke oil and give it a go!

toddrod
12-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Synthetic two stroke oil.

what he said with out the gas treatment additive

Larry Gibson
12-06-2013, 05:23 PM
You might try stopping at the local hardware store/lumber yard and pick up a #2 carpenter's pencil. The "lead" isn't really lead, it is graphite. Simply scribble all over the sprue plate, top and bottom, with the pencil. Been working for years.

Larry Gibson

dkf
12-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda HP2 is a synthetic 2-stroke oil very similar to Amsoil Sabre.(have both myself) It is available at local Honda ATV/Motorcycle dealers. Just be warned it is not cheap stuff. You can also go on Amsoil's website and find dealers locally to you.

detox
12-06-2013, 07:06 PM
On my steel moulds I use dry moly powder between bottom of sprue plate and top of mould. Rub it in using Q-Tip. I also use a very small amount of Anti-Sieze on alignment pins and Sprue plate hinge.

On my Aluminum moulds I use just anti sieze. Try not to get any into bullet cavity.

I tried the two-stroke oil, but it migrates into bullet cavity too easily.

bhn22
12-06-2013, 07:30 PM
A quick touch of beeswax on a hot sprue plate pivot does wonders too. I seem to remember one guy here uses dielectric silicone grease on his.

detox
12-06-2013, 07:39 PM
I have some of that Silicone grease and Beeswax. I will have to try.

Certaindeaf
12-06-2013, 08:34 PM
I've been using Permatex anti-seize lube. Even if you use it on your vehicles and molds, a small container will last a lifetime. Good for -60 to 1600F.
http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/lubricants/specialty-lubricants-anti-seize/permatex-anti-seize-lubricant-detail

btroj
12-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Go to the auto parts store and get some Ester 100 AC oil. Works great.

Bullshop Junior
12-07-2013, 04:32 AM
There are lots of things that will work. I use a good sythetic 2 stroke oil now days, since its hard for me to get bullshops secret ingrediant and it works almost as well.

Bullshop Junior
12-07-2013, 04:33 AM
Why the amzoil Sabor..? Its the premix kind. The injector type works better. Ive tested it. I just cant get amzoil without ordering a whole pallet.

'74 sharps
12-07-2013, 06:24 AM
The Permatex AntiSeize works great and is available at auto parts stores. Doesn't drip, apply to cold or hot mold, and one application will work through several hours of casting.

Four-Sixty
12-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas gentlemen!

375RUGER
12-07-2013, 11:47 AM
One of the Huskvarna synthetic 2 cycle oils has been mentioned on these pages to not leave the buildup that some of the others leave. I like the lube that comes with Mihec moulds. Wish I knew what that stuff was, no residue. Probably soybean oil or something like that.

pipehand
12-07-2013, 12:28 PM
I use Stihl synthetic oil for my chainsaw mix. I don't throw away the little bottle after I mix up the gas. There's always a few drops left I can reach with a q-tip for sprue plate treatment. How's that for cheap?

cbrick
12-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I use Stihl synthetic oil for my chainsaw mix. I don't throw away the little bottle after I mix up the gas. There's always a few drops left I can reach with a q-tip for sprue plate treatment. How's that for cheap?

Frugal pipehand . . . Frugal.

Cheap sounds so . . . Well, cheap. :mrgreen:

Rick

rsrocket1
12-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Lowes used to sell the Husqvarna oil, but the one local to me stopped. Fortunately, I picked up another bottle on clearance for $0.99. I think just about any fully synthetic 2 stroke oil should work fine. Most auto/marine/lawnmower shop should have some, just stop by each one on your daily drives and ask.

Elkins45
12-08-2013, 12:37 PM
It doesn't even have to be full synthetic to work. The Quicksilver synthetic blend has been working well for me as a mold lube.

I also have used it to make a Speed Green analog bullet lube, but it really hasn't been fully evaluated yet.

Chuck_ls
12-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the idea of using synthetic 2 stroke oil. I always use this type of oil in my chain saws, so I have some on hand.

Chuck

saphelps
12-08-2013, 09:29 PM
For anyone looking for the AMSOIL, send me a PM. I am a dealer but don't advertise it in compliance with the T.O.S. However, since you'll be using it for your molds, reloading, guns, etc. hopefully I don't cross any lines. If enough interest, and in the best interest of the forums, I can begin doing something in the buying/selling forum.

Mods: if I violated the T.O.S. please let me know. Definitely not my intention to do so.

avogunner
12-10-2013, 05:35 PM
I've been using 2 stroke oil since I read about it in thread here (can't remember when). It's was good gouge and has worked great for me.
Semper Fi