PDA

View Full Version : Making Ingots

inspector_17
12-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Past couple of days been smelting down my COWW. Got a new propane camp stove, and an old SS pot and a small loaf pan to make my ingots. Have to stop when it snows or rains, (I pour outside of my shed so no accidents and no tinsel fairy), I took time admire my building stash. Ingots come out nice, 20+ in the 3-5lb range, but will be to big to go back into my pot! LOL Have to go get me a larger SS pot to cast with. Oh Well, live and learn. Taking my time and not rushing it, so only making a couple a day before going to work, I've got all winter to smelt. Side benefit of smelting when the wife is around, keeps me off the honey do list!

Arkansas Paul
12-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Ingots come out nice, 20+ in the 3-5lb range, but will be to big to go back into my pot! LOL Have to go get me a larger SS pot to cast with.

Yeah, I like nice small ingots. I have a Lyman ingot mold that came with my kit, but I wouldn't buy another. I like muffin pans. You have to get the heavy duty ones though. The thin ones will warp like crazy at that high heat. If you can find cast iron ones at garage sales, flea markets or the Goodwill or something like that you'll be set.
You'll have 1-2 pound ingots in a nice manageable size that fit easily even into a 10 pound pot.

bangerjim
12-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Get the Lee or Lyman molds. The are made precisely for US, the casters of the world.

I pass on all kitchen utensils and pans for melting & pouring lead. These ingots are easy to stack and do NOT fall over like stupid muffin tin pours. I have melted all 500# of my muffins (which I obtained/made years ago B4 I learned better!) down into neat 1# Lee ingots.

Spend a few bucks and buy the commercial made lead molds....you will NOT be sorry. And you toes will thank you! [smilie=b:

banger

fredj338
12-06-2013, 08:05 PM
I have molds that keep my ingots less than 2 1/2" wide, they will fit even the small 10# Lee pot.