View Full Version : Wild West Bear Proof Ejectors

jim4065
11-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Just got an old 444 Marlin and now I want to spend a little money on it. Anybody using these ejectors? Cabelas' is pushin' 'em for about $25. Are they useful - or (heaven forbid) needed? :-?

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0018667225802a.shtml#customer-product-reviews

S.R.Custom
11-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Do you have an ejection problem?

Explorer1
11-20-2007, 11:17 PM
The claim is the factory (2-piece) ejector tends to break. The replacment is a once piece unit, an easy replacement.

Is it worth it? How much do you wish to gamble your's will break at a bad time? If its not dangerous game, it may not be a big problem.

I did, not really too sure why. Do like their big loop lever though - assuming you don't want to put it in a scabbord like the guy I bought mine from.

Adam10mm
11-21-2007, 12:29 AM
I have over a thousand rounds through my Guide Gun 45/70 and the extractor hasn't broken or shown meaningful wear. Flicks them out of the gun just fine.

S.R.Custom
11-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Yep. Sounds like everybody I know, too... Never heard of a Marlin ejector problem 'til now. :coffee:

I love these marketing types. Next thing you know they'll be hawking stock finishing kits that imbue super-powers to the wood grain so your stock doesn't break. 'Cause you know, you wouldn't want your stock to break just when you need it most... :???:

IcerUSA
11-21-2007, 01:30 AM
What does happen with some of the older ejectors is the little leaf spring breaks , I just put a new bend on the end of the spring so it fit tight and was good to go with my 32 Win Spl of 1952 vintage . FWIW

Keith

NVcurmudgeon
11-21-2007, 02:44 AM
Jillions of rounds through an 1894/.44 Magnum and a 336/.30-30 with no trouble. The worst potential casualty I see is losing the little jewel! BTW, there is more interchangeablility between ejectors than meets the eye. I have cross switched ejectors in the above two rifles and both worked perfectly, even though they looked quite different.

RANGER RICK
11-21-2007, 02:50 AM
My son had his break in his 45-70 guide gun while on a black bear hunt .
My son was using it at the time when it broke . He stopped by Wild West Guns in Anchorage and had it replaced .
They do break and that is forsure !!!!!!
I would say there was less than 500 rounds through it and since I reload for him I know they were stout loads .

RR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/BULLETPICTURESE-BAY032.jpg

Ed Barrett
11-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Did a bear make those funny holes in the stock?

RANGER RICK
11-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Did a bear make those funny holes in the stock?

BEAVERS !!!!!!

My son had the rifle's butt thinned and the forearm shaved to ruduce weight .
He does some serious walk in's for his hunting trips here in Alaska .
When he leaves for a trip I might not see him for a week or so and he has everything on his back thus the thinned out Marlin .

RR

9.3X62AL
11-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Interesting little critter. Might not be a bad idea, if yer working a lever gun in bear country. Mine might sound belt-fed in close encounters, so a one-piece unit might be better at such times.

As NV mentioned, my only difficulty has been re-locating the things after a field-strip. These parts have the ability to tell nighttime from daytime in shop and garage environments, and use darkness adroitly to avoid detection. Their adept use of cover and concealment rivals that of crack infantry units.

jtaylor1960
11-21-2007, 04:38 PM
If a bear gets close enough to break my ejector I'm already screwed.

Junior1942
11-21-2007, 05:15 PM
BEAVERS !!!!!!

My son had the rifle's butt thinned and the forearm shaved to ruduce weight .
He does some serious walk in's for his hunting trips here in Alaska .
When he leaves for a trip I might not see him for a week or so and he has everything on his back thus the thinned out Marlin .

RR
RR, see if you get get your son to post a detailed list of what he carries. Lots of guys would be interested in it.

RANGER RICK
11-21-2007, 07:44 PM
RR, see if you get get your son to post a detailed list of what he carries. Lots of guys would be interested in it.

Junior
I can almost tell you from memory what he carries because I do some hike in hunts with him .
Why would lots of guys want to know what he carries ???

RR

dubber123
11-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Junior
I can almost tell you from memory what he carries because I do some hike in hunts with him .

RR

I would guess the thought is that someone who does trips like that on a regular basis probably knows what you need, and more importantly what you
DON"T need. It might save some guys planning a first time trip like this some grief. Just my thoughts on it.:drinks:

NickSS
11-22-2007, 03:11 AM
I have been shooting Marlins for over 40 years and never broke an ejector (or any other part( I have warn out barrels though. My 1950s vintage 336 is on its third barrel in 30-30 so some serious amount of ammo has gone down range from that rifle but nothing broke. That is not saying nothing ever will but Marlin builds a fine gun. The ones they build today sometimes need a little tooning but they work very well.

Junior1942
11-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Junior

RRBecause not 1 in 10,000 guys get to do a hike-in like he does. The other 9,999 like to sit and daydream about it and plan for it--if the chance to do it ever comes.

jim4065
11-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Because not 1 in 10,000 guys get to do a hike-in like he does. The other 9,999 like to sit and daydream about it and plan for it--if the chance to do it ever comes.

Amen.

jim4065
12-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Do you have an ejection problem?

No - not with the first two boxes anyway. What I do have is a feeding problem. About a third of the 240 grain factory cartridges want to hang up the nose on the right side of the chamber - towards the port. Very soft noses should expand well on the kinda small deer here but I'd sure hate to count on a second shot getting there in a hurry. I like the rifle, not really a kick - more like a push. Also very accurate at fifty yards - and my eyes made a mess out of trying to hit a "scope" target at 100. Trigger is very soft - maybe two or three pounds? Don't have a gauge.

If I can solve the feeding problem this may become my favorite woods rifle. Got a bargain on a 1.6 - 6x Bushnell 3200, so I'm hoping that takes care of the aiming part.

gregg
12-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Because not 1 in 10,000 guys get to do a hike-in like he does. The other 9,999 like to sit and daydream about it and plan for it--if the chance to do it ever comes.
Originally Posted by Junior1942

Amen.

Yup.

S.R.Custom
12-11-2007, 03:41 AM
...What I do have is a feeding problem. About a third of the 240 grain factory cartridges want to hang up the nose on the right side of the chamber - towards the port....

What's your overall cartridge length? .444s are pretty fussy with anything that even remotely hints at being longer than saami spec length....

Chuck 100 yd
12-22-2007, 11:32 PM
I just don`t understand. A bear would have to chew clear through the receiver to get at the ejector. I would think the origional ejector would be safe from bears!

Scrounger
12-23-2007, 01:12 AM
I just don`t understand. A bear would have to chew clear through the receiver to get at the ejector. I would think the origional ejector would be safe from bears!

Guns are like cars, the more money you can spend on them, or attach dodads, the more prestige you have.

Lloyd Smale
12-23-2007, 05:51 AM
Ive never broke one either and have shot many rounds through the marlins but i know my buddy has broke a couple of them. Boy Nick to shoot out 3 barrels in a 3030 you must have put a million rounds through it. Ive yet to wear out any barrel in any lever gun. Ive seen them where black powder ruined them but to actually wear the barrel out using a low pressure load like a 3030 must take a truck load of ammo.
I have been shooting Marlins for over 40 years and never broke an ejector (or any other part( I have warn out barrels though. My 1950s vintage 336 is on its third barrel in 30-30 so some serious amount of ammo has gone down range from that rifle but nothing broke. That is not saying nothing ever will but Marlin builds a fine gun. The ones they build today sometimes need a little tooning but they work very well.

jim4065
12-23-2007, 01:31 PM

We're talking Alaska bears here, not those effeminate North West Grizzlies. :mrgreen:

lmcollins
12-29-2007, 03:43 PM
The big thing that ypou gain from going to the Bearproff Ejector is that it is the secret to being able to use and eject longer than factory OAL rounds if you modify the carrier via Mic Mc Pherson.
I modified my carrier and added the ejector. Just never got around to playing with longer OAL seatiing. If you do that and use the Lee FCD You'd have to add to the bottom of the die's inner sleeve.

Alangaq
01-03-2008, 11:28 PM
As much as I loath to send any cash into the pocket of Jim West, or suffer the snobbery and arogance that abounds in his shop, I did go in and buy one for my guide gun:roll:

RANGER RICK
01-04-2008, 01:14 AM
As much as I loath to send any cash into the pocket of Jim West, or suffer the snobbery and arogance that abounds in his shop, I did go in and buy one for my guide gun:roll:

So you have met him also !!!!!!

I met him at Anchorage Sportsman show a couple years ago and OH MY GOD !!!!!!

RR

HCL
01-06-2008, 12:54 AM
I have only had one dealing with WWG, I would rather carry two pockets full of Marlin replacement parts than give him a penny.