PDA

View Full Version : Yugo m48 magazne?

seabreeze133
12-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Was wondering if there is a reasonable way to convert m48 Yugo to a removable box magazine. 10 rounds rounds would be nice.

:o)

thanks

seabreeze

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-06-2013, 01:53 AM
yeah, but you aren't going to like the amount of $$$ involved. Either SARCO or Numrich used to list them.

seaboltm
12-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Don't know if this is a 48 or a 98 Mauser, but it shows an M-14 magazine in some type of Mauser:

http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/30191-mauser-mag-conversion.html

Combat Diver
12-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Remember the M48 uses a intermediate length action, tad shorter (1/8" IIRC) then a standard 98.

UBER7MM
12-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Seabreeze,

The Yugo 98 actions are designed after the FN action which are about 1/4" shorter. Their magazines won't take a standard 30'06 cartridge. The space between the action bolts are shorter as well as bottom metal and the floor plate (which you'd be replacing with the extended mag). So unless you have standard sized captured German K98 that were thrown in with the pile of Yugos, the Numrich aftermarket extended mag copies aren't going to work for you.
Here is the best description of the Mauser action I've been able to find:
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/content/Boyds/CustomPages/FAQ_actionlengthguide.htm
Mausers are on the bottom of the page. I hope this helps,

offshore44
12-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Seabreeze, I looked into this extensively over the years. It can be done, but the amount of modifications needed make it cost prohibitive. Though it would be a cool thing to have a detachable box magazine on a Yugo Mauser, the amount of metal work required to modify the action, bottom metal, and magazines is a bit much. Way cheaper and more reliable to get an Fn SPR, Winchester, CZ or like rifle with a Mauser pattern action that is already set up for a DBM / has DBM bottom metal and mags available. I just ended up learning how to effectively use the 5 round chargers (stripper clips) on the Yugo's. It's actually faster and more efficient than changing out a mag anyway. It doesn't take a whole lot longer than cycling the action, and no modifications to the rifle are needed. The rifle never needs to leave your shoulder, or your eyes from the target, to do the whole drill if you learn to do it with your right hand.

That doesn't mean that I don't want an FN SPR or CZ 550 with the DBM modification though! :) (...and a new PacNor heavy barrel in 14 twist, and the 3 position safety on the bolt, and the heavy marksman walnut stock, and the Parker Hale bipod / hand stop mount and...)

seabreeze133
12-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Well it was an interesting thought, but appears impractical. Objective is to build a scout type rifle on the Yugo for 200 to 220 cast boolits. I will try using stripper clips and see what happens with developing fast reloads.

thanks

seabreeze

savagetactical
12-07-2013, 11:29 AM
a few years back i built a Yugo in 30-284. It worlds great if you must use the intermediate action, I did it solely because I had it laying around. the 284 case gives you 06 performance levels.

offshore44
12-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Well it was an interesting thought, but appears impractical. Objective is to build a scout type rifle on the Yugo for 200 to 220 cast boolits. I will try using stripper clips and see what happens with developing fast reloads.

thanks

seabreeze

Here's how I do it, starting with the rifle going bang: From any position, the rifle goes bang. Cycle bolt back. Grab charger of 5 cartridges from pouch on right front hip with thumb and first two fingers of right hand. Insert pointy end forward into charger guide. Push down with right thumb until cartridges are in magazine. Close bolt. Closing bolt will kick the stripper clip out of the charger guide. Acquire target picture and pull trigger. Repeat as necessary / belt pouch is empty. I put three chargers in each of two pouches for total of thirty rounds. Two have the pointy end facing back and one forward. Two sets of two pouches give you a total of sixty rounds on your right hip. Right hander's never take the left hand off of the fore end of the stock, and the butt never leaves your shoulder. Easy-peasy.

You can carry a LOT of ammo on chargers, in pouches, without adding a lot weight to your life. This works with the SKS and chargers as well, if you can get good chargers to work with.

Combat Diver
12-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Same with a M14/M1A with only one magazine, as there is a stripper clip guide on top/back of the receiver.

CD

UBER7MM
12-08-2013, 09:00 AM

thanks

seabreeze

Another positive feature about the Mauser rifle with an internal stacked 5 shot magazine is that it is perfectly balanced to carry with one hand by grasping it by the action. Loaded or unloaded!