PDA

View Full Version : New Pistol Dies

Tamitch
12-05-2013, 10:50 PM
I received 2 sets of new pistol dies this week. What is the best way to clean them for the first time and then lube them to prevent rust.
Thank You for any information that you can provide ...
Terry Mitchell
Danville, IL.

oldgeezershooter
12-05-2013, 10:54 PM
You shouldn't have to clean them.
And unless you use them in a moist environment they shouldn't rust. But you could spray them with some light oil if you are concerned.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-05-2013, 11:19 PM
You can clean them with a lot of things. New dies made nowadays generally are coated with some sort of machine or preservative oil/grease. I would clean them using something like denatured alcohol, acetone, cheap brake cleaner, etc. Anything that removes grease. Lightly oil the outside to prevent rust (any oily rag to wipe them down will work) and you're ready to use. You can also use wax instead of oil, such as genuine floor wax, to prevent rust.

44Vaquero
12-05-2013, 11:26 PM
It's always a good idea to clean new dies since there maybe debris/chips etc., from the manufacturing process in them. I usually use brake cleaner and RIG Wax upon reassembly. In a pinch I have even used spray furniture wax as a rust preventative(it works very well and smells good too!).

12-05-2013, 11:54 PM
I disassemble and soak them in mineral spirits, then blow dry and lightly lube with automatic transmission fluid. Two days ago, a brand new RCBS set left much debris in the bottom of the container. I'm always amazed at the amount of metal chips that are left after soaking Lee dies.

ultramag
12-06-2013, 08:30 AM
I always hose my new sets down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Seems to always be a can close by.

btroj
12-06-2013, 09:25 AM
I use bore solvent. It cuts crud as well as anything and I have it close at hand.