PDA

View Full Version : Gary Reeder's revolver

freedom475
11-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Does anyone have one of Gary Reeder's Ruger 5 shot conversions?

I have been looking at his web site and am thinking of having him make me a 475linebaugh out of my BH 41mag.

His guns look GREAT but I wanted to talk to someone that had one or has shot one before I send money. Would like to know what to expect as far as accuracy and total overall fit of his guns.

I have a FA83 and the fit of the gun is noting short of perfection, but the short cylinder causes me a little grief from time to time,as well as the recessed cartridge heads.

I cannot afford one of John Linebaugh's or that would be the way I'd go.

I would sure appreciate any info you guys may have on the subject.

Thanks, Freedom

Lloyd Smale
11-20-2007, 07:37 PM
I havent owned one of gary guns but have handled and shot a few. Theyve allways shot well but i dont think the fit is as good as a linebaugh. If you want something slightly cheaper then a linebaugh or bowen id look at dave clements. His guns are real nice and his prices are hard to beat.

44man
11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Is the .41 large enough to make a .475 from? Seems as if the frame is too small. Why not just buy a .475 BFR??? It will take any boolit you can come up with and is super accurate. Mine has done 9/16" and 5/8" for 5 shots at 50 yd's. I have no problem hitting pop cans at 100 yd's from the bench. The gun is heavy enough to soak up recoil without ruining your hand and wrist. I would not own anything else.

S.R.Custom
11-20-2007, 09:35 PM
I havent owned one of gary guns but have handled and shot a few. Theyve allways shot well but i dont think the fit is as good as a linebaugh.
I've never seen one of Gary's guns, but I suspect that's probably a true statement...

A couple of months ago, Reeder and I were having a conversation about a gun I wanted built, what features on what frame, etc. Then I asked him a few questions about how he built his guns --whether he line bored 'em, what his chamber throat dimensions were, that kind of thing-- and the boy got absolutely rude. From one of his emails:

...I do not have time for questions about groove diameter etc. I have been doing this for 30 years and have been in the top 3 custom gun guys in the country for half of that. I think I know what I am doing. Your gun will be done right if you choose to go with us, but I will not waste the time answering this type questions. If you don't trust my judgement I suggest you check with hamilton Bowen or John Linebaugh.

I thanked him for his time, and apologized for bothering him.

I work hard for my money, and if he wanted me to commit that hard-earned pay to a project of his making, it seems to me that the least he could do was to answer a few simple questions regarding his product and its suitability for my purposes...

As for Hamilton Bowen and John Linebaugh, they seem much more approachable. Bowen does not feel bothered answering my questions, and has sent me quite a bit of printed material for my review. I met John Linebaugh at a gun show in Missoula two years ago, where he had a table full of his work out for review; he was quite happy to stand there and talk to me for as long as I wanted to engage him. And I've yet to meet anyone who wasn't satisfied with either of those two gentlemen's work.

targetshootr
11-20-2007, 09:47 PM
He did some minor work for me on a gun years ago and then I read some of the things on his message board and it put the kibosh on any future work. If you wanna see some lively comments do a search on the Ruger forum.

Lloyd Smale
11-20-2007, 10:47 PM
personaly i think the best custom guns made right now are made by dustin linebaugh. he combines the totaly rock solid foundation that his dad was famous for with the artistic abiltiy of hamilton bowen. bowen makes a great gun but his prices are high and he doesnt actually build them his hired machinist build them and i like the idea of the man who builds my gun putting his name on it. John linebaugh builds a rock solid gun like i said before but he doesnt really go for the fancy stuff. He builds HUNTING GUNS. Dave clements builts a good gun at a good price and his option list is probably bigger then anyones. Ive heard many good things about Alan harton and hes doing a gun for me right now. 2 dogs on here can tell you more about his guns. Ben Forkin who was hamilton bowens main man at one time builds nothing but quality and is one of the smartest and talented gun builders out there. Theres probably a few others that are good that im not mentioning and a few that havent impressed me that arent mentioned as I dont bad mouth people. But in my opinion the ones i mentioned are the best. A 41 ruger can be made into a 500. One of my 500s was built on a 357 bisley.The frame is the same on all of the old blackhawks vaqueros and bisleys and thats about all that used by the gunsmith. Its to bad gary reeder thinks hes to good to answer questions but i can state without reservation that any of the smiths ive listed will take the time to answer any of your questions. It amazes me how humble these guys are.

Tomhorn
11-20-2007, 11:57 PM
I have three Reeder conversions and a fourth on the way. I am very satisfied with the work he has done for me. I also have a Freedom Arms in 475 Linebaugh that is an excellent firearm, but I much prefer my Reeder conversion in 475 Linebaugh.

This was my first custom revolver and I would highly recommend that anyone considering a high end gun such as the Freedom Arms also consider a custom. If you are going to spend that much you should have it the way you want it. Reeder, Bowen, Linebaugh and Clements are all excellent gunsmiths. Choose one that you are shares a vision compatible with your own.

Char-Gar
11-21-2007, 12:09 AM
I don't have a conversion but Reeder built me a full house custom RBH in 45 Colt. Folks can disagree about his sense of style and taste, but his workmanship is first class.

MGySgt
11-21-2007, 10:11 AM
I have a SBH in SS with a 4 5/8's barrel that I sent to Bowen 5 years ago. I 'Only' had the standard trigger job done.

Mr. Bowen answered all my questions and I had wanted some more done, but he said:

You are building a hunting pistol, it has the barrel length you want and it is in the caliber you want - Unless you want some scroll work done to make it pretty you don't need anything else (I was thinking of having the barrel replaced - don't ask me why I don't know at this time).

He was right of course, His 'Standard Trigger job' was not cheap - $300 or $350, but he did an excellent trigger job and replaced the rear sight with his - it is a much stronger sight and easier to pick up, and put in a Belt Mountain Cyclinder pin.

Was it worth it to me - yes. Would I do it again - yes.

Bottom line is that he was easy to talk to and answered my questions, both on the phone and through e-mail and I never felt that my questions were too trivial to him. He gave me an honest exstimate in his time to complete the work, but he was off on it - I got it back 2 months ahead of schedule, he was working, yes Hamiliton, on another project and used mine a time filler when he was waiting on something to come back for it.

That 44 is the only one I have carried since it came back. I have a 629 Mountain gun and a 629 classic - but don't use either one much at all sine then. Sold 2 other 44's because they hadn't been shot in years.

FWIW

Drew

2 dogs
11-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I can say without reservation that Alan Harton will build you a very fine sixgun any way you want it. He has done quite a few for me that are to die for. Dave Clements builds extremely accurate sixguns, I know, I have 4 of his linebored conversions. You are cheating yourself if you do not give these Gentleman a call and get a quote. Visiting with both of them is a treat!

Alan Harton 713 772 8314
Dave Clements 276 238 8761

e mail me if you care to see pics of their work. fcgarza0640@hotmail.com

I do not yet own a Reeder gun, I ordered one from him and put a deposit down last December....

Aaron
11-22-2007, 03:13 AM
I have a Reeder Ultimate Backup. It is a 3 3/4 inch barelled 500 Linebaugh. The lockup feels like a standard Ruger, not at all like my FA 454 or 475, which have virtually zero cylinder play. I was a bit disappointed in that. The front sight went airborn on my second outing with it. Luckily I found it about fifty feet behind me and sent it back to Reeder to re-solder.

I have a 500 JRH with a four inch octogon barrel and a 500 S&W, built on a Ruger Maximum frame coming. Both should be here in the next 2-3 weeks. These are being built by Jack Huntington. If these turn out like I am hoping they will, I am going to send him a Miroku SXS 12 ga to convert to 500 Nitro that will still be able to use the shotguns barrels as well. He has more than indulged any questions I have had.

Aaron