PDA

View Full Version : Star Lube Sizer Almost Seized Up - Please Help!

Low Budget Shooter
12-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Hello, Casters. I've been using an old Star that I bought from another guy on this forum. It has been working great and my sons and I have sent thousands through it. Today while the boys were using it the handle became hard to move up and down. It is almost seized up, but will move with lots of push. It's not a stuck bullet. Can anyone tell what is wrong? Thanks, Jeff

NoZombies
12-05-2013, 07:34 PM
If it's at the bottom of the stroke, check the punch adjustment, if it fouls the top of the die it can lock the press right up when you cam past BDC

Low Budget Shooter
12-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. But no sir, it's not in the contact between punch and die. Those are free of each other. It's farther up the stroke.

SWANEEDB
12-05-2013, 07:48 PM
I just overhauled a Star luber for a friend, he had been using hard lube with a heater then changed over to Alox, the place where the lube is injected was built up and it froze, just took it apart and a good cleaning freed it up, check it out, maybe it's your problem--easy to fix. Hope this helps a little bit.

Low Budget Shooter
12-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks!

D Crockett
12-05-2013, 08:03 PM
unbolt it from your bench take out the plunger and the die from it take some boiling water and pore it down where you put the lube then after you do that take out the brass plug in the side and see if the old lube has been cleared out of there if so you should be fine if not start checking all moving parts to see if anything is binding up that should take care of the problem D Crockett

ReloaderFred
12-05-2013, 09:38 PM
First of all, there are several places where things have to move up and down, or back and forth and go round. Each and every one of them needs to be lubed with a good quality oil. The vertical shafts need to be lubed, along with the small rod at the top that pushes the pump rod back and forth. There is a lube hole in the casting for applying oil to this rod. Then the handle itself needs to be lubed where it goes through the casting, and there's another lube hole for doing that. Also apply lube to the ends of the handle shaft where it bears on the casting.

If it stopped after working, then I would look there, especially if it's in a location where it can get cold and make the lube and built up gunk harden up.

Hope this helps.

Fred

LAH
12-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Your machine may have been twisted a little causing S119 to bind on S120. It happen you me once. The parts mentioned can be seen here on page 2: http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

Low Budget Shooter
12-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the good info, gentlemen.

Frozone
12-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Then the handle itself needs to be lubed where it goes through the casting, and there's another lube hole for doing that. Also apply lube to the ends of the handle shaft where it bears on the casting.......

Fred

If the bolt (s118) in the end is over tight the shaft can bind or if loose the hole (for the handle) can ovalize.
Either way it'll bind up at certain part of the rotation more than others.

Low Budget Shooter
12-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Fellers, thank you very much. One of my sons partially disassembled it; I soaked it in boiling water a couple times; he oiled and reassembled it, and it works. LBS

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-23-2014, 02:25 AM
Fellers, thank you very much. One of my sons partially disassembled it; I soaked it in boiling water a couple times; he oiled and reassembled it, and it works. LBS

Mechanically inclined sons are a blessing from God.

Low Budget Shooter
03-23-2014, 02:48 AM
Yes, Dave, I am very thankful for mine! LBS