PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550 vs. 550B

Alvin
12-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I have a chance at picking up a Dillon 550. I'm not very familiar with the 550 series, is there a differemce between the two models? I was also curious what a fair price is for a used one with one caliber setup, and what I should jump at below a certain point. I'm teaching my friend and his Marines how to reload, and thought at the right price the Dillon would make a great Christmas present for my friend. Right now I'm teaching them on a single stage press.

HATCH
12-05-2013, 06:02 PM
are you sure its not a B model?
"The 550B added the "fail-safe" powder system and the low warning primer system. Both items available from Dillon as accessories. Otherwise the 550 and the 550B presses are identical. Add the two accessories and you have a 550B"

jmorris
12-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Hatch is correct. I will add that when Dillon came out with the "B" model of the SD, they converted my regular versions over for free.

Also many prefer the spring assist powder measures vs the fail safe as they don't "clunk" as much.

Alvin
12-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Here's a couple of pictures of the press. I'm awaiting a response to see if it comes with anything else. If this is all that it comes with, what essentials would I need besides conversion plates that I couldn't pull from my inventory of existing items.

Going back to pricing for tis particular press. It looks like just a 550 to me, but I could be wrong and that would make it an older model. What will I need to purchase to make it work as intended. I don't need everything, but just the parts that will make it function and the parts most people say are a must have. Given what you see, what is the max I should pay?

Alvarez Kelly
12-05-2013, 08:58 PM
HATCH pretty much nailed it.

But this subject does confuse many. There are many used 550s sold without powder measures or low primer alarms... Rule of thumb; if the press has a failsafe return bracket under the shellplate platform, its an RL550B. The RL550B still just says RL550 on the side. No where does it say RL550B except on the box and instruction manual.

Alvarez Kelly
12-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Here's a couple of pictures of the press. I'm awaiting a response to see if it comes with anything else. If this is all that it comes with, what essentials would I need besides conversion plates that I couldn't pull from my inventory of existing items.

Going back to pricing for tis particular press. It looks like just a 550 to me, but I could be wrong and that would make it an older model. What will I need to purchase to make it work as intended. I don't need everything, but just the parts that will make it function and the parts most people say are a must have. Given what you see, what is the max I should pay?

Well... It's an RL550B. What caliber is it set up for now?

It's missing the handle, the spent primer cup, the loaded round chute, the loaded round bin, a powder measure assembly, the failsafe rod, the low primer alarm, and the primer follower rod.

As for value, about $200 as is. Maybe more if other things are included. But then, I have lots of spare parts. I have every part this press is missing on my shelves...

HATCH
12-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Its worth $200 maybe $250 shipped if the dies are something u want or need

Alvin
12-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to offer tell him what's all missing and offer him $150 or some ammo or reloading gear. Alvarez, can you PM me with what it would you would sell me the parts listed to get it in working shape?

Alvarez Kelly
12-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to offer tell him what's all missing and offer him $150 or some ammo or reloading gear. Alvarez, can you PM me with what it would you would sell me the parts listed to get it in working shape?

PM sent. Good luck with your bartering. :-)

fredj338
12-06-2013, 06:16 PM
The 550B also has lube holes in the ram bearing. I had one of each. I sold my 550 to a friend about two years ago just starting into reloading. I sold it to him for $260, ready to go less dies, about what I paid for it 25yrs ago, bought a 650 to go with my other 550B.

Alvarez Kelly
12-06-2013, 06:41 PM
The 550B also has lube holes in the ram bearing. I had one of each. I sold my 550 to a friend about two years ago just starting into reloading. I sold it to him for $260, ready to go less dies, about what I paid for it 25yrs ago, bought a 650 to go with my other 550B.
Not all RL550Bs have lube holes. That was a later improvement.

bhn22
12-06-2013, 07:40 PM
I have an original 550. Mine does not have the low primer thing-a-ma-jig, nor the powder failsafe linkage. Nor has it ever needed them. It works perfectly as-is. Dillon has parts, and you can price them by going to their website.

jmorris
12-07-2013, 10:12 AM
You could always just buy it and set it in a closet until the next scare/panic buy to come along and sell it for $1200 on ebay.

Mike Kerr
12-08-2013, 04:30 PM
AK posted...."Not all RL550Bs have lube holes. That was a later improvement."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeppers! I have discovered that. Thats why "Dillon study" is a fluid science.

Mike Kerr
12-08-2013, 04:34 PM
jmorris posted "You could always just buy it and set it in a closet until the next scare/panic buy to come along and sell it for $1200 on ebay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's really a pretty good investment theory, IMO.

engineer401
12-08-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't use the low primer alarm. It is unnecessary and a little irritating.

Alvarez Kelly
12-08-2013, 05:16 PM
I don't use the low primer alarm. It is unnecessary and a little irritating.

I use them. Keeps me from making an easily preventable error.

selmerfan
01-29-2017, 11:16 PM
I'm sorry to drag this thread out of the archives, but I'm saving up for a new Dillon 550C. On the Dillon website, it lists the 550C (latest model of the 550) as not having a "powder check system". Does this mean that the press does not have a station/method for checking for uncharged or double charged cases? I'm a newbie to progressive metallic loading.

dverna
01-29-2017, 11:26 PM
I'm sorry to drag this thread out of the archives, but I'm saving up for a new Dillon 550C. On the Dillon website, it lists the 550C (latest model of the 550) as not having a "powder check system". Does this mean that the press does not have a station/method for checking for uncharged or double charged cases? I'm a newbie to progressive metallic loading.

If you seat and crimp separately, the 550 does not have enough stations for a powder check die. It is possible to seat and crimp in one operation. It is a bit more difficult to set up but doable. With a seating/crimping die, you could add a powder check on the 550

Don Verna

selmerfan
01-29-2017, 11:39 PM
If you seat and crimp separately, the 550 does not have enough stations for a powder check die. It is possible to seat and crimp in one operation. It is a bit more difficult to set up but doable. With a seating/crimping die, you could add a powder check on the 550

Don Verna

Thanks, Don! I currently setup my RCBS .38 Special dies to seat and crimp in one operation. Yes, it's a bit more setup time, but, especially when using a single-stage press, saves time in the long run. I wouldn't mind having a powder check die on a station, just to prevent a double-charge.

selmerfan
01-29-2017, 11:44 PM
So I could use the RCBS Lock-out die between the powder station and the seat/crimp station?

jmorris
01-30-2017, 10:32 AM
So I could use the RCBS Lock-out die between the powder station and the seat/crimp station?

Yes, that could be done.

With a hole or slot in the tool head for clearance one can use the Dillon powder check die the same, you just loose the ability to seat and crimp separately.

dragon813gt
01-30-2017, 11:48 AM

Yes, but you will have to place the bullets on the brass on the right side of the press. This may or may not work for you. I find that it's easy to see into the case before seating the bullet. You can do this at either station two or three. Just get in the habit of looking at every case for powder.

Lagamor
01-30-2017, 09:30 PM
^this.
Just pay attention and you'll be fine. This is my thought process while loading.

Handle goes up,
1. Glance at the primer moving into position and feel it slide in
2. Glance at the powder in the shell(if overflowing clean up on station two, if empty stop and figure it out)
3. Turn and put a boolit in place on three and shell in station one
4. This is where I earn my Phd (Pull Handle Down)

kayala
01-30-2017, 10:42 PM
Anyone knows what's upgraded in "C" version compared to "B" ?

jmort
01-30-2017, 10:47 PM
"The "C" designation indicates a significant design change. The upper link arm pivot pins are now threaded in place, and have a grease groove around the pin that connects with a lube hole on the end of the pin. You can use a needle fitting on a grease gun to lubricate the upper pivot pins now. "

Shiloh
02-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Mine started out as a 550. Dillon sent me what I needed. This was 26 years ago.

Shiloh