PDA

View Full Version : Home made Turkey soup?

Changeling
12-05-2013, 01:34 PM
I liked the response so much on making Turkey gravy I thought maybe you guys could tell me how to make Turkey soup with the carcase. My mother used to make it when I was a kid it had cellery and onions in it but thats all I remember, except that it was really good.
I only have the carcase left now, but there is still meat left on the bones, skin, wing tips, the part that followed turkey, and some dressing.

As you can see I do love turkey!!:)

Bodydoc447
12-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Get a big stock pot that will hold the carcass and cover with water. Rough chop some carrots, celery and onion and add those to the pot. Bring up to a simmer and let it go for a couple of hours, adding water as needed. Towards the end stop adding water and let it reduce down by about half. Strain into another pot and pick out the chunks of meat, discarding everything else. Put in the fridge over night. Skim off the layer of fat (great for making gravy) and use the collagen rich broth to make a delicious soup with celery, carrots and any other veggies that you fancy. Bring to a low simmer and add back the meat. If you like rice or noodles, add those at the end of the cooking time so they don't over cook.
Doc

dbosman
12-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I start mine at noon, for dinner. Simmer only.
In addition to Bodydoc447s, coarsely chopped carrot, celery, and onion, I add dried parsley, oregano, basil, and at least a teaspoon of Cavender's Greek Seasoning. I like to add celery seeds, a couple bay leaves, and a teaspoon or so of pepper corns. My prefered noodles are egg noodles.

I've done the straining method and just scooping all the solids out, to seperate the meat and bones from the broth. My current preference is scooping the carcass out and letting it cool for twenty minutes, then put the meat back in the broth. That or clear from straining is just personal preferences.

Tossing in some leftover gravy or a ball of roux helps thicken the broth.

dragonrider
12-05-2013, 06:30 PM
What he said ^ is exactly how my wife makes it and it is awesome.

MaryB
12-05-2013, 10:20 PM
I break the carcass apart, put it in a stock pot and cover with water. Simmer for 2-3 hours then pick out the bones with tongs. Let the bones cool, remove all the meat and set it aside for later. Strain the rest of the stock reserving any meat pieces then reduce by at least half (I prefer 2/3). Add onion, celery, garlic, carrot all chopped, and about 1/8 the amount of stock in wild rice(Wild rice swells 4 times its dry volume). Simmer this until everything is tender, 2-3 hours, add the meat back and let it heat through. Season with herbs of choice at the beginning and again halfway, S&P to taste. Cream at the end is optional for creamy turkey wild rice soup. If you add cream do not boil or it will break and get funky.

trochilids
12-06-2013, 01:21 AM
That sounds so incredibly delicious! I ended up canning a few pints of leftover turkey last weekend, and plan to make some turkey soup with it in the very near future! The above ideas are making my mouth water.

Changeling
12-06-2013, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=dbosman;2508487]I start mine at noon, for dinner. Simmer only.
In addition to Bodydoc447s, coarsely chopped carrot, celery, and onion, I add dried parsley, oregano, basil, and at least a teaspoon of Cavender's Greek Seasoning. I like to add celery seeds, a couple bay leaves, and a teaspoon or so of pepper corns. My prefered noodles are egg noodles.

Thank you very much. I pulled apart the carcase and put it all in a big pot (Blue with white specks, Wal Mart) with some dressing. Added 1tsp of salt , some adobo seasoning, 3tsp black pepper, 2 Tbs of sage, 2 Tbs Italian seasoning, and a scoup of minced garlic.
4 big carrots, sliced at an angle, 1/2 inch, about 3 cups of Cellery 1/2 inch or so, 1 Big onion chopped. Put everything in the pot.

It has cooked down so much that I had to add a lot of water to bring it back to the consisty of "Soup". It's cooking now on a simmer and smells awesome!

Question: I would really like to add noodles so I bought a package of "Pennsylvania Dutch Noodles". However I'm not sure how to add them! Do I cook them seperately then add to the soup, or just put them in? Do I need to bring the whole pot back to boiling to do this, I mean if I just add the dry noodles?

Thank you very much for your help.

dbosman
12-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Toss about half the noodles in about twenty minutes before you wan to eat.
Toss the remaining noodles in after you ladle out dinner. They'll cook while the soup cools.
After simmering for five hours, I don't worry about when the soup goes in the fridge. If it ain't dead after five hours...

popper
12-06-2013, 05:03 PM
No clue how to make it but finished off all she made by last nite. Also 2 apple pies. Yumm yumm. She made some cookies (sand tarts - wedding cookies to those in the south), sugar cookies this afternoon. Kids are out of power today so can't get over to make sour cream cinnamon twists. I can eat 2 batches of those at one sitting. Gotta put the dog on a diet next week.

Changeling
12-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Toss the remaining noodles in after you ladle out dinner. They'll cook while the soup cools.
After simmering for five hours, I don't worry about when the soup goes in the fridge. If it ain't dead after five hours...

Thanks, it shall be done. I'll post back and let you know how it came out. My son has a bad cold and is coming down tomorrow, so I plan on loading him up with this soup.

OBIII
12-06-2013, 05:43 PM
If you are going to do it, do it right. The above information about rendering the carcass is good advice, but to really be top shelf you have to use home made egg noodles, and home made biscuits

Egg Noodles

2 cups flour
3 eggs
2/3 cup water
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
Small grating of fresh nutmeg or a shake or two of store bought nutmeg.

Mix all dry ingredients, make a hole in the middle, add egg and water mixture. Stir with spoon until you have a sticky gooey mass.
Generous amount of flour on working surface, and briefly knead the dough until pliable. Roll out to desired thickness (about 1/8"). I usually cut the dough in half and do two batches. Make sure bottom and top are well floured (not sticky), and cut to desired length and size. I use a pizza wheel. Put strips on plate until all are done. If not using immediately, put in refrigerator to keep cool. If the noodles become too warm on the plate, they will stick together. When ready to add, bring soup to a boil, drop in by the piece (two people works better), constantly stirring the soup so the noodles do not land on top of each other. Cook for 20 minutes or to taste. I'd imagine that you could dry the noodles for later use, but I have never done that. Quantity of noodles depends on size and thickness.

Biscuits

This is a basic biscuit recipe that I have made my own changes to. I just made a batch last Saturday, and they disappeared in no time.

3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tblspn sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 stick butter (cut into 1/2" cubes and freeze for at least 15 minutes, the colder the better)
1/2 cup buttermilk (or regular milk with 1 1/2 tblspn lemon juice)
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup chives
3/4 cup cheese (I used a combo of cheddar and jack)

Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter cubes. You can either use the 2 knife recipe or cheat like me and pulse in a food processor until evenly distributed :) . Mix in chives and cheese (either can be left out if desired).
Add wet ingredients. The key is to NOT over mix. I use a Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook, until just mixed. Dough should be slightly sticky. Put on floured work surface, and roll out to 1" thickness. Cut biscuits out and place on cookie sheet with the sides touching. Once all are made, bake in a 425 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Biscuit contents are limited only by your imagination.
Quantity of biscuits depends on size and thickness.

Enjoy

OB

Changeling
12-07-2013, 04:32 PM

Hi dbosman, the soup came out "Fandamtastic", I ate 4 soup bowls of it and only stopped because I was afraid I would explode!!
I think I told you that I had to add a lot of water because it really got thick.

Today: Well after the 16 oz of "Pennsylvania Dutch noodles". The pot swelled up again to almost where it started witch is fine with me.
I just put the pot back on the stove and added 3 or so more cups of water, it's what I will be having tonight again for dinner.

I don't have any French bread on hand so I am going to use some slices of loaf bread, butter them and add some garlic and toast it to make garlic bread. I have a feeling this will make a great addition to the soup.

OBill thanks for the recipes, I'll have to get to them another day, they really sound great.

dbosman
12-07-2013, 05:00 PM
I pride myself on being a good soup maker.
Here's another simple recipe.

Brown half to a whole pound of sausage in a soup pot. Half a pound is enough but if it comes in 1# packages, who am I to argue.
Coarsely dice a large onion.
In the soup pot saute about half a large onion in the sausage grease.
If you use good sausage there will be just enough grease to sweat the onions.
While the onions are cooking, coarsely dice two large potatoes. Toss them in the pot.
Add chopped carrots, or parsnips, or rutabaga, or other root veggies, even beets, and add to pot.
Top with a quarter head of sliced cabbage.
Add enough water to be visible, but not cover the cabbage.
Simmer 45 minutes.
Chop half the remaining cabbage and add that.
Simmer 15 minutes.
Serve.

Afterward, chop the rest of the cabbage, toss it in the pot and let it sit and cool. The cabbage will wilt and be great when you reheat it.

imashooter2
12-07-2013, 06:07 PM
1 turkey carcass with whatever bits of meat you can spare
1 tablespoon salt
4 stalks celery
4 large carrots scraped
4 large onions quartered
12 whole black peppercorns
1 bay leaf

Remove all traces of stuffing from the turkey carcass. Cover with water in a large stock pot. Add salt and bring to a boil skimming any scum that might form. Add 3 stalks celery, 3 carrots scraped, 4 onions quartered, peppercorns and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat and simmer just as long as you can stand smelling the aroma. 6 hours minimum, 12 is much better. Remove all solids and strain the broth through cheese cloth. Pick out and tear meat into small bits and add back to the broth. Thinly slice the remaining celery stalk and carrot and add to the soup. Return to a boil and done.

I take this basic soup, divide it and freeze it in quart containers. I add cooked rice or fine egg noodles before serving. For my taste, I usually need more salt and pepper in the bowl, but I like to leave it for each to adjust to their own liking.

Changeling
12-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Now that I know how to make! It's called "Hog Maw" in it's original recipe. I have had it in the original and it was awesome! However one doesn't see to many sales at the grocery for a hog stomach, LOL!

Vivian's Sausage Cassarole (My great aunt), (Without the Hog stomach).

Please try this, I gurantee you will love it, (An original recipe from my family):
In a skillet brown 1 lb of loose country sausage broken up along with 1 lb of Italian sausage cut in 1/2 to 3/4 inch lengths and 2 or 3 big onions chopped. Don't cook them to death, just till they "Turn" like you were doing it to make spagetti sause.

Meanwhile in a seperate big Pot, quater a big head of cabbage, cut out the heart/stem and break off all the leaves into the pot.
Add enough cut up potatoes (Irish type) till it looks "Ballanced to you" probably 5 or 6 or more. when the cabbage is slightly cooked down and the potatoes are somewhat (aldente), drain the pot well.

Have ready a Large casarolle dish or a Large oven proof type pan.
Now lay down a layer of cabbage/potatoes and a scoop of the sausage mixture and repeat till the cabbage/potatoes and sausage mix is all used up (usually 4 to 6 layers). Try to ballance the mixture till you end up with slightly more of the sausage mix witch you put on the last (Naturally).

Pop thjis in a 350 degree oven (No cover) and bake for an hour.

Pull it out and serve with some "Real Butter" and pepper to taste, (Individual servings).

It really is awesome, trust me !!!!

Shiloh
12-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Break the carcass apart some. I simmer for a couple of hours before adding the veggies. Those consist of celery, carrots, onions, and sometimes turnips. If you put the veggies in to early they get to soft. Spices consist of poultry seasoning, garlic, thyme, crushed black pepper and salt to taste.

The house will be filled with the wonderful aroma of homemade turkey soup. Serve with a crusty multi-grain French baguette bread.
For qn added treat, you can make dumplings or matzo balls.

Shiloh

Lloyd Smale
12-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Im ashamed this time. I usualy have a good recipe to contribute but have to admit i take the easy way with this. I use my left over turkey and get a few cans of chicken broth from the store and fill canning jars about half full of meat and the rest of the way with broth. Add a bit of onion and celery and pressure can for an hour. When i want soup i cook some noodles and add a jar of the canned turkey to it.

Shiloh
12-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Hay Lloyd, No shame in that!! I have added turkey or chicken stock myself. The aroma is still fabulous. It's not like Martha Stewart is the critic. Who cares what she thinks anyway!!

Shiloh

Changeling
12-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Im ashamed this time. I usualy have a good recipe to contribute but have to admit i take the easy way with this. I use my left over turkey and get a few cans of chicken broth from the store and fill canning jars about half full of meat and the rest of the way with broth. Add a bit of onion and celery and pressure can for an hour. When i want soup i cook some noodles and add a jar of the canned turkey to it.

Hey buddy, like Shiloh and
dbosman said, it seems "Turkey Carcase Soup" is DAM hard to mess up! Trust me, if I can cook it it anybody can, LOL.
Something I never said was I like "pearl barley"in some of my soups, so I got a box of Quaker brand barley and put about 1/2 cup in the first batch.
Later, after cooking and eating I remember thinking where was the Barley, didn't see/taste a bit, not that there is nuch taste, more of a texture thing!!!

Then when I put it all into freezer containers and was washing the pot there was this sludge in the bottom of the pot. I'm sure this was the "Barley" What I did wrong I don't know, but it still came out AWESOME!!

Take care my friend.