PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Lyman 9mm Devastator mold 356637

Anonym
12-05-2013, 12:55 PM
I've got the itch for another mold, so I've freed up some cash and looking around (which is a dangerous thing!). My thoughts were to get a mid-weight (124gr) 9mm mold for my Taurus PT917 (like a PT92, only shorter barrel/slide). What I would like is a good mold that I can cast for that might double for personal protection if needed, and saw the HP "Devastator" mold. I've done some research and understand they are particular about alloy and velocity to be the difference between expansion and explosion, which is something I can work with. Has anyone had any experience with these boolits to guide me? What sort of cast diameter should I expect out of a 50ww/50pb alloy?

My biggest question is if there is any real world difference in stopping power to this mold when compared to a good old fashioned SWC or RF boolit? To be honest, a Lee 358-125-RF has caught my eye and would probably work well in my pistola. I've shot some unsized boolits out of it very well that mic'd .358 diameter, so hoping this would work fine.

Before anyone asks, I just don't have enough spare cash to drop on a $100+ mold. If there's no advantage of the Devastator mold design and I go with the Lee, I could afford some other casting gear I've been needing, like maybe a nice 452424 to hunt with out of my 45LC Contender...

Thanks!

paul h
12-05-2013, 02:55 PM
If you want to try hp's, I'd suggest saving up for a Mihec mold. The lyman devastater is supposed to be a nightmare to cast decent bullets, Mihecs in comparison are a dream to cast.

IMHO in 35/9mm if I'm going to shoot a cast hp it will be at least 150gr, if I'm shooting 125's they'll be a rf of swc.

I don't know how well the lee 125 rf will feed/cycle in a 9mm and I'd suggest seeing if someone will send you a few to try in your gun before plunking down on the mold. I know the lee 105 swc will feed fine in a 9mm. I'd also suggest the lee 300 rf gc for your 45 contender.

rintinglen
12-06-2013, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=paul h;2508338]If you want to try hp's, I'd suggest saving up for a Mihec mold. The lyman devastater is supposed to be a nightmare to cast decent bullets, Mihecs in comparison are a dream to cast.

IMHO in 35/9mm if I'm going to shoot a cast hp it will be at least 150gr, if I'm shooting 125's they'll be a rf of swc.[QOUTE]

^^^Truth above. Sign up for the MP group buy for the 125-ish grain HP and start saving your pennies or just forget HP's altogether and get a 6 cavity 358-125-rf. The single cavity Lyman HP" molds are difficult to get good boolits from, while the brass MP Cramer style are a breeze. I have 4 right now, two in 38/357 and one each in 44 and 45. The NOE hollow point molds are also good, but the aluminum doesn't hold the heat as well. I have a 2 cavity 125 grain that I got for 9MM and a 45 2 cavity 200 grainer. The NOE RG molds are a very close second to the cramer style, either are miles ahead of the Devastator, IMHO

HeavyMetal
12-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I had a 9mm devestator and didn't care for it, basically a 150 grain boolit Lyman put on a diet by adding a large HP cavity.

Once I got my Pin heater set up on a hot plate the thing poped boolits like peas from a pod, a very small single cavity pod, the beef I had was the huge Bevel base!

Before Mehic hit the scene this mold was sitting in the rack with me debating selling it or paying Eric at HP mold to cut the bevel base out and make it a 140 grain HP.

Mihec did a second GB for his 4 banger HP 9mm boolit and I bought an extra so I sold the Lyman HP as un needed.

I bought it when I didn't know so many good mold makers were out there, today I would not repeat that mistake!

Lots of options here in the price range of the Lyman HP mold.

NOE has a good set up but might be a touch high for your budget

Eric at www.hollowpointmold.com is converting the new style Lee dual cavity molds to two cavity HP's with a modified Cramer system.

Price on that is $99.00 and includes the mold, a tad more that the Lyman but your buying a two cavity HP instead of a single for half the money of two Lyman singles ( hope that makes sense to everyone)

Eric is doing both the 125 RN as an HP and the 125 RF as an HP and I think the 158 RF as an HP.

I think the 158 RF winds up about 130 grains after the work is done, and I'd have to give that some serious thought if I was starting out on a budget today.

Go see Eric's awsome gallery of mold photo's, the 125 grain Lee RN 6 banger converted to the Cramer style HP is freakin awsome AND he can do Penta Points as well as the traditional round HP cavity.

Anonym
12-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks fellas. So is a HP worth it in a 9mm format? As long as they feed in my autoloader, a nice meplat with decent weight should be just as effective, shouldn't it?

paul h
12-07-2013, 12:12 PM
My personal opinion is in the 9mm the hp bullets take up too much case capacity and I'd rather stick with a bullet with a decent meplat.