PDA

View Full Version : Harpers ferry or kentucky

pearcetopher
12-05-2013, 01:34 AM
Hi guys, got my christmas bonus today and my favorite site is selling flintlock pistols at 10% off!

nows the hard part

Harpers ferry in 58 calibre for 432$ or kentucky flintlock pistol 45 calibre for 300$?

I like revolutionary war stuff so I know the kentucky is period correct but I would love to shoot a big bore pistol like the harper. I just cannot decide!

johnson1942
12-05-2013, 10:03 AM
you said it, you would really love the big bore. however you may get tired of it sooner than the .45. more recoil than the .45. the .45 you could shoot alot and never get tired of it. question, if your a big man with big hands, go with what you love most. if not go with the .45. it will be fun either way. keep it real clean and lightly oiled and she will last.

KCSO
12-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Made by who? In a flinter lock quality is everything and some makes are for looks only. The cheaper Harpers are not real good sparkers and a CVA is marginal at best. I would hit Track of The Wolf first and see what they have in good hand made guns first. I remember my first Harpers that I got in 1966? It was so feeble as a sparker it would olny fire every 20 snas or so and ate flints like a kid with candy. I had the frizzen re hardened and the first shot i got a shower of sparks a boom and the frizzen broke into two pieces. That's when I learned how to temper metal.

waksupi
12-05-2013, 12:40 PM
When buying muzzle loaders, if you buy cheap, you get cheap. Spend more for something dependable. You would shoot the .45 more.

marquette
12-05-2013, 12:48 PM
I agree cheap flintlocks are worthless. The one exception if you can find a used one was made by T/C. For a short while they made a "Kentucky " pistol which was moderately priced more than a CVA. Typical T/C flintlock. Sparked like a house of fire and the sparks landed in the pan. I haven't seen one for sale new since the early 80's so finding one could be a chore or at least an adventure. Track of Wolf is a good place to start for a good custom used gun or you might ask them if they know anybody that would build you a good gun.

waksupi
12-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Come to think of it, I have a .54 pistol here for sale you could get in to reasonably. I took the lock out of it for another project. It takes a Chambers Queen Anne lock, best on the market. I'd want $150 for the pistol itself, and the lock costs around $130. If you bought the lock and had it sent to me, I would drill and tap it, tune it up, and send the pistol to you for an additional $20, putting you at $300. PM me if interested.