PDA

View Full Version : It.. Is.. Done... Mold descriptions for Lyman / Ideal molds

ohland
12-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Sent the Beta of the mold descriptions to AlaskanGuy for incredulous laughter and snide comments.

This is nothing but a collection of Ideal and Lyman mold descriptions. Within the descriptions and illustrations of the bullets are mentions of the designers, uses, loading hints, and results. If there are omissions or errors, please pipe up.

I don't know yet what AlaskanGuy is going to do with the PDF. When he puts it somewhere, we'll figure out how to get submissions for edits.

v/r, :coffee:
Worshipper of the Plumbous Calf

How much lead would be in a leaden calf? Hmmm....

AlaskanGuy
12-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Lol.... Now you did it... My PM is gunna be full at any moment....:kidding:

I tell you what though, folks just dont realize what a chore this is... And what a benefit it will be as a pdf that all can download and keep electronically, or print out for putting in your load note book...i applaud your efforts sir... I hope the others here have the opportunity to Benefit from all your work....

I haven't had a chance to really look at the doc yet, but will start going through it over the next few days. Once i do some formating and add in what needs to be added, i will hand it over to one of the mods for inclusion into our cast pic database...

Blessings to all..

AG

Catshooter
12-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Very cool!

Maybe I should the both of you a PM . . . :)

Cat

ohland
12-05-2013, 12:47 PM
AlaskanGuy, this compendium is not in it's final form. Much like Arthur Clarke's "Nine Billion Names of God", once we collect all permutations of Ideal and Lyman mould numbers and descriptions, the stars will go out, one by one.

The Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullet descriptions are terse summaries of earlier Ideal bullet descriptions. Much verbiage which was "common knowledge" was deleted, because "everybody knows" about the Kephart design, or bullets with mid grooves that were larger to fit into large throats... When folks trudge through the compendium, and do not see much of a description, they need to know where they can submit a more detailed description.

v/r,
A fellow worshipper of the Plumbous Calf :coffee:

ohland
12-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Very cool! Maybe I should the both of you a PM . . . :) Cat

Though I do not have an "I love me wall", nor pride in authorship, there needs to be a process for accepting input for inclusion into the compendium. Mentioned this to AlaskanGuy, if there are multiple versions of this floating around, and all are being maintained in isolation of each other, then there will be missing data...

One approach is to hang this as a stickey, start a thread for input. All input eventually is fed into the maintainer, either a moderator (I'm sure they would love that), or someone with nothing to do and all day to do it. :coffee:

Possible input format: Mold Number Description (Base, Point, (HP,) Weight - TP is ?)

Though perhaps we need to use ";" to separate the fields, which will make tableizing much easier...

Present format:
245107 Stubby 40 grain HP bullet designed for 3,000 fps over 57 grains of Du Pont No. 80 in the 244 Remington. (GC, SP, HP, 40 - TP is 8)

Possible table-friendly format:
245107;Stubby 40 grain HP bullet designed for 3,000 fps over 57 grains of Du Pont No. 80 in the 244 Remington.;GC;SP; HP;40;8

Because things may not apply (like HP fer instance) having a set number of field-delimiters may work.