PDA

View Full Version : What to tell the kids?

Leadmelter
12-04-2013, 08:57 PM
I have a whole boat load of reloading dies, molds, etc. Reaching the retirement age and you starting thinking: I don't what them to get ripped off if I should suddenly join Elmer, Jeff, and Skeeter?
I tried cataloging my stuff over the last two winter but never got it done.
Neither of my children have expressed an interest in my equipment other than " Dad can make more ammo.
Suggestions?
Leadmelter
MI

paul h
12-04-2013, 09:22 PM
If you're concerned about who gets what then try to itemize items. If you're concerned about them getting a reasonable price for them when they sell them off vs. throwing it in the trash or selling it for pennies on the dollars then either you'll need to write up a list of what you have and realistic current value on the items or have a trusted friend help with an estate sale when you pass. No one will have a better idea of what you have on hand than you, so plan to spend an hour a week cataloging the items. It might end up being an enjoyable activity, bringing back fond memories, organizing your collection and finding some items you'd wondered where they'd gone.

In the big scheme of things, it's just stuff. You can't take it with you and if your heirs decide to dump it or give it away its not worth worrying about.

BACKTOSHOOTING
12-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Very sound reasoning and thought's here, I cound't agree more

If you're concerned about who gets what then try to itemize items. If you're concerned about them getting a reasonable price for them when they sell them off vs. throwing it in the trash or selling it for pennies on the dollars then either you'll need to write up a list of what you have and realistic current value on the items or have a trusted friend help with an estate sale when you pass. No one will have a better idea of what you have on hand than you, so plan to spend an hour a week cataloging the items. It might end up being an enjoyable activity, bringing back fond memories, organizing your collection and finding some items you'd wondered where they'd gone.

In the big scheme of things, it's just stuff. You can't take it with you and if your heirs decide to dump it or give it away its not worth worrying about.

wv109323
12-04-2013, 10:18 PM
I would get them together( at Christmas?) and tell them the estimated value of your reloading/casting equipment. Stress to them it is not junk just because they are not interested. Tell them that your total equipment value is $8000.00. That means that they put $4000.00 in their pocket if they decide to sell upon your demise. I would also tell them you are going to catalog your equipment with today's current values. Also tell them what and where the catalog you create is. Also list in the catalog one or more knowledgeable casting buddies that knows your equipment and the current value. Also include detailed notes when listing an item, like: perfect working order, this mould is excellent in my .357 revolver, this old lead pot was used for parts,non-functioning. The descriptions will give the buyer(s) confidence in their purchase and an easier sell with a better price.

myg30
12-04-2013, 10:52 PM
+1 on what said above by wv109323.
Just buried my mother in law. She had all her [ most of] her belongings in her handmade will. She sat her daughters down and talked to them and asked, What would you like when im gone ? You know at 88 its going to happen sooner or later. She told each of them what SHE wanted her grand children to have as well as old time friends of hers. Everything went smooth so far !
I don't think its diner conversation but maybe after diner talk, together or one at a time. Either way it really needs to be done. Even the tightest family gets greedy when someone passes on. Your xyz your son wants cause he used it as a child with you now is worth $$$ to his sister that never saw that xyz before. Ask me how I know that one !!
Good luck, God Bless.

Mike

AlaskanGuy
12-04-2013, 11:04 PM
I would just wait a while first.... Do your documentation and such, and them put it away with your other important stuff... You never know about them dang kids.... A couple years pass and suddenly one of them get interested once they settle down and have a family of thier own... My father was never a reloader so i got interested on my own, and only then once i had a family and a workshop and wanted some quiet time at a hobby that i enjoyed... That is when things really blossomed for me.... Not only that, but in a few years, your investment may be the only way they may have to get ammo.... Dont get too worried about it now... Do your documentation and estimates of value so in case something happens in the short run, you have some reference for them... But that is it ..... Just my opinion...

AG

454PB
12-04-2013, 11:11 PM
When my Dad passed, he had a huge collection of model railroading "stuff". I had no knowledge or interest in that hobby, but I knew there was a considerable dollar value there, and my step-mom would need the money. By talking to some people that did know the hobby, I found a guy in another town to evaluate the collection and place a bid. He traveled over 300 miles to look it over and spent the better part of a day doing so. He then made an offer, step-mom called me (I live 225 miles from them) and told me his offer. Even though I figured it was about half of what it was really worth, I advised her to sell.

When you consider the hassle involved with selling thousands of pieces of "material" that you have little knowledge of, sometimes it's best to get what you can and be relieved of the stress.

I'm in a better position because my kids grew up around guns, reloading, and casting. My Son is plenty savvy on values, and I've made it a point to talk to him about some of the sleepers I have (collectible items). He will probably take what he wants of the component stuff and "garage sale" the rest.......and that's fine with me.

MtGun44
12-05-2013, 03:11 AM
I did an assessment of a large collection of reloading gear and supplies for the brother of a deceased
reloader. Never knew him in life, but spent most of a day inventorying the stuff and another day
working out approximate market or new values. The brother asked if I would buy it all and looking at
about 2 pickup loads of stuff, I offered about half of what it might be worth once it was all sold.
I knew (as said above) that it would take a LOT of work to sell it off, so bid low. The brother paid
my (low!) fee for the assessment but seemed to believe that I was trying to rip him off by offering 50%.

I thanked him and moved on. I wonder if he ever sold it for even what I offered, or if it still sits
in that basement. It would have taken months and months of selling to get it all gone.

Bill

Wayne Smith
12-05-2013, 12:34 PM
The one good sign in your post is that they want you to make more ammo! That means that they realize the practical value of what you do. I would simply state, the next time they ask, that "I am not an ammo factory, if you want this on an ongoing basis you need to come over and learn to use the equipment". I think you will soon discover to whom you want to leave it all!

shooter93
12-05-2013, 07:00 PM
It was easy for me...I have an extremely trusted friend who is also a Gunmaker. Everything goes to him and he knows what is his to keep. He will sell everything else and give the money to my wife.

Crash_Corrigan
12-05-2013, 07:24 PM
I have a trusted shooting buddy who pretty much knows what I have and what the equipment is worth. I have named him as the firearms executor for the disposition of my firearms, reloading and casting and fishing gear. In the will I have willed him 3 guns that he had been pestering me for years to buy offa me.

I know he will do the right thing and give the proceeds to whom I want. The executor of my will knows this and agrees with me.

Jailer
12-05-2013, 08:35 PM
I have an arrangement with a good friend and shooting buddy should my case mature early. He sells all my guns at fair value and the proceeds go to my wife. In return he gets all my lead and my casting and reloading gear. It will be well worth his time to broker the guns.

Four-Sixty
12-06-2013, 06:50 AM
One of my daughters actually said she would need to find a guy interested in reloading/shooting because of the stuff I have will one day need a new home. I found that thought both sobering, and comforting at the same time.

Thin Man
12-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Leadmelter, you probably have 2 or 3 close friends who are reloaders and live within a reasonable distance to you. Pick one, then a second (in case the first preceeds you) to assist your survivors in disposing of your materials. This is what real friends are all about. Get their agreement to assist your survivors and make your choices known to your spouse or closest trusted relative who will honor your wishes. You might even write down your desires on this decision so everyone can remember how you want this issue resolved (sure saves a lot of dissention).

This year I have assisted 2 friends with their inventories. The first was a pre-estate sale where my friend's medical expenses are well over his insurance and income, and his health has taken him totally out of the game of shooting. He wanted to sell out to help pay medical costs and I assisted him on this. He had a huge inventory of both firearms and reloading materials, took 4 days to get it organized and sorted. A 4 hour one-way drive to his location, then the same back home, was no burden to help a friend and I made that trip 3 times.

Then a local friend passed suddenly. We had previously agreed that when one of us went out the other would assist the survivors. I made the agreement known to his widow (he had not told her about the agreement) and she was eager to have help. I cataloged all his materials, explained to her what everything is used for, suggested prices and methods to sell, etc.
He lived only 1 hour away, and so far I have made this trip 5 times with more probably to come.

In both cases I told the family that I have rules for helping you. First, I refuse to take any payment for helping you - cash, merchandise, or any other form of payment. This is my gift to you and my friend (living or not). Second, I will not buy anything from you, only to show you I am being honest in my price evaluations. Third, call me anytime with your questions and if I cannot answer over the phone, I will come to you to assist. A friend is always that, living or gone, he is a friend. I will not do any insult to a friend or his family. This travel offer is easier now that I am semi-retired, but would have still been done if working full time.

Hook up with your friends and get their agreement, then get your family on board with your decisions. The family will come out of this with fewer burdens and greater cash returns, and everyone should feel better about the end result. Trust your gut instinct on which friends to ask to help you and your family. Good luck with your decisions.

Thin Man

clownbear69
12-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Do you have any younger nieces or nephews that are interested into shooting that could get into it or a family you know that love shooting that don't reload? I think your time is worth more of an effort to find out then to give to your own kids sense they have no interest. I can almost guarantee if your equipment is willed to them (and have no interest) they will get rid of it as quickly as possible because they would rather have the cash even if it means selling it much less than what its worth. Ive seen similar situations like this in other parts of my family.

In my direct line anything grandfather will give just about everything to my dad (some stuff already given to me) Anything my dad accumulates will give to me. Anything I accumulate goes to my son. Everything that is given will be given as gifts not willed for obvious reasons. Then again this only works because 1) dad is the current child (uncle died a few years ago but didn't have an interest in it anyways) 2) my sister was "excommunicated" from the family 3) My current family consists of my step daughter and my son. Ill figure out stuff more when Im up in that age

HeavyMetal
12-06-2013, 10:57 PM
I listen to Dave Ramsey evey day on the radio in my work truck.

This subject comes up every time some one calls in with the: My _____ died and I never got what he or she promised me and there is no will so what can I do??

Usually followed with I hate my ____ for being a Greddy so and so because they were three hours closer and got thier first!

MAKE THE TIME to add up all your shooting stuff and get pictures and a real world value in todays dollars, this can be updated regularly in no time once it is orginally done.

If no one in the family has any interest in recieving this "stuff" and that means an actually shooter not an opertunist, make arrangements with a local auction house to sell you gear, set down with the house manager and set it up prior to you "exiting stage left" and make sure he or she knows whom gets the proceeds. Keep in mind that it may not be your wife!

In 2005 I'd have bet the farm my wife would out last me, I have diebeites and a high stress level sales job. But in 2007 she passed quietly from a Heart attack on our couch. This caused me to have a real need to change my will!

Up dating the will every two years is not unusuall and I will strongly advise against having a family member as executor, causes fights among siblings don't ya know

oscarflytyer
12-07-2013, 12:10 AM
5 boys - 16-28. They have all come around, albeit slowly to some realms of hunting and shooting. 2 - 18 and 25 yo's - JUST got instantly hooked on duck hunting... None of them are, yet, as 'looney' about it all (guns/hunting/casting/reloading/knives/ballistics/etc) as I am. So far, none have expressed a real interest in casting. But, I expect, as ammo continues to get more expensive, some will. They all know 'what' I have, and that if I am gone, make sure and find out exactly what the stuff is worth. If they don't want it, no biggie, sell it. But just don't give it away - there is some money in a lot of it. They are all really beginning to appreciate the guns themselves and their worth. Same is happening with knives and duck calls. I have an early Duck Commander that just got autographed. THey will most likely have some lively brotherly fights over that one! Which tickles me! Then there is the beginning appreciation in looking for original USA Schrade knives. Have told them all - < $20-25 - buy all of them you can afford that you like the style.

At the end of the day, as stated above, it is all just stuff. But I can tell you, from very recent experience of losing my Mom suddenly, what was once just stuff, now has very new-found sentimental value. They may come around to it before you are gone, and maybe after. If not, hopefully they will not just give it away. Best you can hope for!

beezapilot
12-09-2013, 07:06 AM
I've been down this road before as well, my father in law was a world class stamp collector- I now have 2 pick-up truck loads of stamp boxes in the barn and no-one is interested in taking a look for appraisal (how many days would that take???) or make an offer. Most people I have spoken with on the phone say just use what you can for postage as it is always worth face value.

A good friend in the PNW just had his mom pass away- in cleaning out the house found a huge (over 200 pieces!) collection of pre-war / antique Navajo jewelry. No idea on appraisal or where to go with it.

Leaving an indication of where to sell or who to contact is not a bad idea, trusted shop owner, fellow collector etc...

ANYBODY WANT TO BUY SOME STAMPS????????????????????????

trapper9260
12-09-2013, 07:40 AM
The one good sign in your post is that they want you to make more ammo! That means that they realize the practical value of what you do. I would simply state, the next time they ask, that "I am not an ammo factory, if you want this on an ongoing basis you need to come over and learn to use the equipment". I think you will soon discover to whom you want to leave it all!

I say the same and also state that if you want more need to help with the cost also.Then you will see who really is into it .other wise you are just being used.If they do not use hardly any help once in awhile then that is different . But saying they need more ammo i say help and learn to do it yourself.

Victor N TN
12-10-2013, 01:06 PM
My eye opening moment was the last day of August 1996. That day I went under the knife and the surgeon removed half of my right lung. I had quit smoking 11 years prior. A week before the surgery I had a really long talk with my wife and kids. My wife and I went to our lawyer and had a will made up. I just said that she controlled everything if something happened to me. Then I sat down on an Excel spreadsheet and started listing my guns. Then the HAM radio equipment. Then I broke down the vertical rope and climbing equipment. From then it went to power tools and then hand tools.

That was a LONG time ago. I've had to add to all the lists and change the prices several times. But because of the "turnover" of supplies I gave up and am now just going to list the hardware and the books. I have personally filled 4, 2 1/2" 3 ring binders of reloading / casting / swagging notes. Since both daughters like to shoot and have since they were in high school, I think they'll hang on to at least some of it.

Like someone stated above, I have 2 friends listed for each sport / hobby that can help my family with either learning that particular hobby or with selling it. I hope and pray my family has the good sense to do something positive with it all.

hoosierlogger
12-10-2013, 04:46 PM
I have close family friends that are into the same hobbies as me. I instructed my wife if anything happens take my guns, reloading and casting stuff to bob, my atv's, dirt bikes and motorcycles to Eric, and my boat and fishing stuff to Tim. I trust them all and they know I told her that.

fredj338
12-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I look at it a bit diff. I can't control what happens after I am gone, so unless you sell everything before you go, having a an itemized list is nice, but then are they really going to care enough to shop everything out or just sell it to move it? I figure most of the stuff will bring them a lot less than it's actually worth, especially if sold thru an estate sale/auction, but ya never know. I am sure if I get hit by a bus, the least of the family' worries is what they can get for my stuff.