PDA

View Full Version : Smoothbore deer today

waksupi
11-20-2007, 01:09 PM
I had a tag in a ML/shotgun/archery area only, and went over early this morning. It is an old overgrown Christmas tree plantation, with lots of good cover./
I took my 20 bore Barnett North Star trade gun.
Shot was at about 25 yards, and the doe went down in a heap. She disappeared so fast, I thought I had missed. I guess that 85 gr. fff Elephant, and a .595 round ball gets thier attention!

Boz330
11-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I've been lusting for one of those for a long time, but have to prioritize my funds to what I'm shooting the most. What do you consider to be a max distance shot for that gun? Thought that it would be a hoot to hunt turkeys with as well.

Bob

waksupi
11-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Boz, we shoot targets out to 200 yards or so. For game, I consider my limit around 75 yards, as that is about as well as I can hold for a good aim. I prefer half of that.
I've taken several wild turkeys with the same gun, and it works just fine. #6 or 7 1/2, and aim for the head!

Boz330
11-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Really, I always thought that smooth bores were pretty good out to 50yds or so, but after that it was pretty much luck. Do you have some sort of rear sight or just the front bead? The only experience that I have was trying to shoot a 12ga with RBs and accurate isn't what I got. How big are the 200yd targets? Sorry for all the questions, but I really am curious about them.
In a survival situation for the mountain men it would almost seem to be a must have, along with the old Hawkin. Thanks.

Bob

waksupi
11-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Just a front blade front sight. My rear sighting point, is from the highest point on the wedding band. I can generally keep up with the rifle shooters, as can other smoothie shooters around here. One of our guys won a state rifle match back east some years ago with his.
Our 200 yard targets are made from an oxegen cylinder cut in half.
We used to do several hunt or starves a year. After the first couple, you would seldom see a rifle in the bunch. If you wanted to eat, you had a smoothbore.

fatnhappy
11-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Congrats Ric. Drinks are in order. :drinks:

Boz330
11-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Am I correct in assuming a hunt or starve is going out with no food and then shooting camp meat?
I only hunted in MT once back in 87. I was amazed at the amount of small game that could have been taken with a 22. If you really had to have meat then the smooth bore would sure be the ticket. I did find out that your squirrels out there aren't very tasty, kind of like chewing on a pine cone.
We hunted around Stemple Pass, mostly for Elk, didn't have much luck but was a good trip just the same. The MT License is good value for the money since you get deer, bear, and Elk, plus the small game license as well. Or at least you used to.

Bob

waksupi
11-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, if you want to eat meat, you had better shoot it. An advantage is, there is no closed season on rabbit, squirrel, or any of the other little fuzzy things, so you can eat if you want. You are right, the pine squirrels taste like, uh.... pine.

Am I correct in assuming a hunt or starve is going out with no food and then shooting camp meat?
I only hunted in MT once back in 87. I was amazed at the amount of small game that could have been taken with a 22. If you really had to have meat then the smooth bore would sure be the ticket. I did find out that your squirrels out there aren't very tasty, kind of like chewing on a pine cone.
We hunted around Stemple Pass, mostly for Elk, didn't have much luck but was a good trip just the same. The MT License is good value for the money since you get deer, bear, and Elk, plus the small game license as well. Or at least you used to.

Bob