PDA

View Full Version : Need Turkey gravy recipe.

Changeling
12-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Yes, I know I can get it in a bottle at the grocery store, it's OK, but not like the real thing one makes on the stove right after cooking the turkey, you probably all know that method, awesome!

Is there any way to make really good gravy like that when you run out?

I've run out (Gravy), and I dearly love leftover turkey and dressing with HOT gravy over it.

I've found a way to heat up the cubes/parts/dressing of the turkey without making it taste like leftovers, but getting the gravy right has been a mystery that escapes me!!!!

Outpost75
12-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Once you make your own gravy you'll never buy it at the store again. The secret is saving the pan drippings from roasting the bird.

Also, DO NOT throw out any of the skin, giblets, or bones from the carved carcass. These all go into the stock pot for soup or to make great quantities of gravy to freeze for later.

If the pan drippings have dried up and turned brown, these are what you want. Warm the pan over low heat and pour in a cup of boiling water and work to dissolve all the crusty, flavorful stuff until it is all loose. If it is watery don't fret, just work on scraping the pan sides and bottom until it is all loosened into the broth. Then let the broth reduce over low heat until no longer watery.

Now take 1 tsp. of Bells Poultry seasoning and 1/4 c. of flour and blend them smoothly into the drippings until smooth. The idea is to wet all of the four and spices with the fat in the drippings. You don't want to see any white flour. Use a fork to break up any lumps or small pieces, making sure every particle of flour is completely coated. If you don't have enough drippings to coat all the flour add 1 tablesppon of REAL butter. It is OK to let the "roux" brown and dry out a bit. When it does then add a cup of boiling water and whisk in, blending until smooth. Always add flour to the fat and dripping firsts to coat thoroughly BEFORE adding any water. This is the same way you make sausage gravy or "SOS" from hamburger.

For SOS use 1/2 teaspoon of salt, black pepper, cayenne and 1 tablespoon Worstershire to a pound of hamburger or sausage and 1/4 cup of flour, then make your gravy with milk and serve over tpast or biscuits. This is from the WW2 mess manual.

Let the turkey gravy thicken and bubble over medium heat until smooth and of the consistency you want, then pour through a strainer into your gravy boat to serve. Do not throw out the strainings, they go into the stock pot for soup! If you don't have Bells seasoning use 1/4 teaspoon each of rubbed sage, ground rosemerry, pepper, and cayenne.

Save your turkey carcass, skin, giblets, bones and innards your family doesn't eat and put all in the stock pot with water to cover. Heat to a slow simmer, cover and go away a few hours, stirring occasionally. When the carcass falls apart, pull out the bones and strip off the meat, letting everything cook down and mellow. Add a teaspoon full of Bells seasoning if you didn't brine and herb the bird when cooking.

Pull out the big bones that you can, don't worry about the little ones now. When deboned as best as you can cover the pot and set outside in the cold overnight to chill. The next morning carefully skim the fat which has solidified on top of the broth, because you will save that to make your next batch of gravy. The broth will have solidified like gelatin, which is good. Reheat the broth over low heat, and using a vegetable strainer start scooping the mixed pieces of meat and bone from the broth, picking out the bones, tendons and gristle to throw away and putting the meat aside. Finally pour the remaining broth through your stainer and remove remaining bone fragments, saving the tiny meat morsels.

Return the meat and broth to the pot with a diced green pepper, large diced onion, four stalks of celery and four ears of corn cut off the cob. Squash pumpkin or tomato pieces are OK too if your family likes them. Cover and simmer over the wood stove until suppertime or until the smell drives you wild.

You will enjoy these leftovers!

waksupi
12-04-2013, 05:54 PM
I use corn starch instead of flour for thickening. I put a spoonful in a small bowl, and stir it together with milk and water until dissolved before adding it to the drippings. More milk or water can be added as needed. No lumps to chase down!

MaryB
12-04-2013, 11:09 PM
In a pinch there is a turkey base called Better than Bullion that is not bad. WalMart may have it other wise Amazon grocery carries it.

Shiloh
12-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Pan drippings, cornstarch, seasoning. Got a food processor?? Liquify giblets, skin, and pan crispies. Add that to the mix.
Mix the cornstarch with water or milk and dissolve. add that tho the pan and stir while heating to thicken. I sometimes add store bought gravy in a jar to it if there isn't enough. Freezes GREAT!!

Shiloh

Reg
12-05-2013, 01:16 PM
One thing the wife does that makes the gravy even richer in flavor is to add chicken bullion to the recipe.

gwpercle
12-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Corn starch method is OK...but the best tasting is the good old roux based gravy. I enject my turkey with seasoned melted butter, bake of roast it, save the drippings , pour them into a seperator cup and use the top layer of butter/ drippings with the flour to make the roux...then add the rest of the drippings etc....just follow Outpost75's directions and you will have a winner.
If you can add broth instead of water in the making of gravy that won't hurt anything either...but water will do.
Gary

Changeling
12-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Wow, thanks a lot to everyone. I liked this information so much I printed the whole thing. It is now the first set of pages in my home made cookbook in the gravy section.

Outpost75
12-05-2013, 03:53 PM
...the best tasting is the good old roux based gravy. I enject my turkey with seasoned melted butter, bake of roast it, save the drippings , pour them into a seperator cup and use the top layer of butter/ drippings with the flour to make the roux...then add the rest of the drippings etc....just follow Outpost75's directions and you will have a winner. If you can add broth instead of water in the making of gravy that won't hurt anything either...but water will do.
Gary

Glad you approve of my Moma's recipe. Truth be told, she was known to pour a glass of Sauvignon blanc or Chardonnay in there, or if we had hard cider yet that went in. "Water gravy is for fine Morman's and Baptists!" she said.... 8-)

OBIII
12-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Come on Ric, everyone knows it ain't gravy without a few lumps. Don't forget, now is the time of the year to stock up on canned turkey broth (yeah, I know, but one turkey carcass only makes so much stock. :) ). In a pinch, chicken stock or chicken broth can be used, I find a 50/50 mix of water and broth works out fine.
Another useful tidbit is to use broth in the manufacture of mashed potatoes. Again, about a 50/50 mix with milk works wonders. A dash of white pepper in everything (savory) is useful also.

OB