PDA

View Full Version : CH 4D Primer swage

avogunner
12-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Anybody have experience with this kit? It looks like a good piece of gear on their website but would like to know from users how well it works.
Thanks

claudesapp
12-04-2013, 11:32 AM
I've used it and it works pretty well. I have a Dillon 600 but switching it from large to small and back is kind of a pain, but the CH4D is very easy to set up in either lg or sm primer. Good kit, especially for the money.

376Steyr
12-04-2013, 12:14 PM
I have one and it works pretty good. It is dependent on the strength of the case rim to hold the case in place while the primer pocket crimp ring is swaged. It takes a bit of trial and error to get adequate swaging without boogering up the case rim. It you're planning on doing thousands of cases, the Dillon rig is better.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Had one, had problems with it, sent it back to be re-machined. Got it back, tried it, still wasn't right. Sold it, bought an RCBS, still no good. Bought a Dillon 600 (And I am NOT a Dillon fanboy by any means.), problem solved. If change over is an issue, buy two, set one up for large, one for small primer.

Bonz
12-04-2013, 05:05 PM
I bought the set and don't like it. It holds the brass case by the rim and then pushes up at the primer pocket which damages the rim, especially on .223

I'll stick with my RCBS swager, no damage at all to the cases...

avogunner
12-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Good gouge fellas, thanks.
I'll take a look at the RCBS swager.

williamwaco
12-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Forget the swage and get acquainted with a fourth or three eights inch electric drill bit.
You will ruin two or three cases until you learn the right amount of pressure but after that you will get much better results much faster.

Kent Fowler
12-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Bought one about 2 months ago. By the time Govt. 223 will accept a primer, the case head is ruined. Managed to de-crimp 500 9mm cases,but I did ruin about 15 cases in the process. CH seriously needs to revise this tool. Wish I'd saved that 40 bucks toward the Dillon.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-05-2013, 03:57 AM
Bought one about 2 months ago. By the time Govt. 223 will accept a primer, the case head is ruined. Managed to de-crimp 500 9mm cases,but I did ruin about 15 cases in the process. CH seriously needs to revise this tool. Wish I'd saved that 40 bucks toward the Dillon.

This is a pretty good description of my experience with the tool as well.