PDA

View Full Version : Shooting and another deer

44man
11-20-2007, 09:22 AM
My friend came over with his converted .475 SRH and his SRH .454. We did a lot of shooting with both and with my BFR's. I can only say that the SRH's are BRUTAL to the hand even with Hogue grips. They are narrow in the back and do not cover the trigger guard enough. They shot OK with the factory loads he is stuck using and I am going to load some for him to try. But I don't like them for steady shooting. The .454 with factory loads hurts the hand more then the .475 with 460 gr boolits. I do think he fell in love with my BFR's but would not come out and say it. :mrgreen:
We then went deer hunting with them. My neighbor lady that lets us hunt wanted a tender deer. I only seen one deer near my stand and it turned out to be a button buck. I planted a .475 WFN in it's shoulder at about 30-35 yd's. He went straight up, made a short run and spun in. The exit hole from that big hard cast is nasty.
Thats my third deer this season, I shot two with my bow. I need one more for the lady's sister and one more for my freezer.

Dr. A
11-20-2007, 10:22 AM
I've two with the bow as well, but rifle doesn't begin until a week after T-day. The Alaskan's Hogue sure does fit my hand well. I got one for my SRH. Is it the one with all the padding behind the strap? The BFR is fine, but I gotta admit the Ruger is a bit easier for me to balance. Only have the 7.5 in. barrel. Shot 200 rounds of 1650fps 320gr. loads this weekend ( only a 454) between the BFR and SRH. The 44's are fine too. The one that takes a toll on my hand is a newer 629 with factory rubber. The Super blackhawk hunter is too easy. Did about 150 with it and 50 with the new 629. Its a little bucky in that configuration. I'd like to get something with a revolver this year. :Fire:

44man
11-20-2007, 01:17 PM
No, this one does not have the padding. It is very narrow in the back and puts the recoil right in the web of my hand. It sure was not made for the big bores. Like comparing an axe blade to the flat at the back. I like the Ruger grip much better.
I can shoot the Pachmeyer's all day on my guns but not so with the hogue's.