PDA

View Full Version : Almost out of PPG DTL105 thinner........

passgas55
12-03-2013, 10:09 PM
and man I do like using that thinner. One coat and now I use the case tumbler and have very smooth bullets. Problem is that a gallon of it will cost me $70:eek: So I looked up the MSDA sheet on it. This is what it showed. Acetone-15% wt, Iso Alcohol 15%, Toluene 30%, Xylenes 10%, Propylene Glycol Methyl Ether Acetate 25%.
Now I tried using KleanStrip Lacquer Thinner and it does not work as good. Look up the MSDA on it Methanol 20to 25%, Toluene 5 to 10%, Acetone 5 to 20%, Hexane 30 to 50%, Methyl eth ketone 5 to 10% and Ethonal 1 to 5%.
I would love to try to make my own DTL105 or something close to. I have some of the stuff all ready but what I am going to due is use the KleanStrip LT as my base and add more Toulene and Xylene , don't know about the Propylene Glycol stuff. I will work in very small batches keeping track of the %. Hope it works.

dbosman
12-03-2013, 10:46 PM
For people that don't know, Toluene and Xylene are both nasty materials and not for amateur chemists. Any more.
A local body shop would probably have partial cans to sell or swap for.

And, yeah, I do know that they used to be fairly common cleaning materials in some shops.

passgas55
12-04-2013, 12:40 AM
I think ACE hardware by my house still carries both.

dbosman
12-04-2013, 06:38 PM
I should have added that I'm didn't mean to start a fight. An argument perhaps, but not a fight.
ACE hardware sell lengths of pipe that people can hit each other with, and poisons for animal, vegetable, and insects. The only one without a label with a lot of cautions on it, is the length of pipe.

I grew up in a world of fire crackers, asbestos shingles and asbestos pipe wrap used for mummy costumes. Farm pesticides, mix your own white lead paint, Penta for park buildings, made up of tar, solvent, and fire retardants. I'm not worried about you or me. I do worry that our posts are archived and searched by Google, where amateurs with no understanding of appropriate risk might find them.

Like casting or reloading, safety is important. Some of the younger members here may not be aware of the risks of somethings talked about here if the caution isn't in the thread.

runfiverun
12-07-2013, 12:37 AM
propylene glycol is used as an anti-freeze and a food additive [it has a sweet taste]
you might be able to get some from someone that installs fire sprinkler systems.
ordering it would set you back about $50.00 a gallon.