PDA

View Full Version : C and B revolver

snoopy
12-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Okay guys I need a little help. My 44 brass framed revolver shoots consistently high, at 15 yds. I have filed the front bead [some] and reduced the powder to 20 grains. I am shooting offhand, and the groups are ok, [sight picture on or just below the bull, hits at top of the target and to the left] . I dont have a problem filing more, but maybe I'm missing something? When loading there seems to be a breakover point seating the ball and I have a tendency to give it a little more umph, could that be it? Any suggestions?

Gunor
12-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Hitting High?

I have filed the front bead [some] - wrong way

Taller front sight would help.

Lower the notch in the hammer (if colt style)

Lower the powder charge

New thick and higher front sight - will allow you to adjust point of impact (up/down - right left)

Not a collector piece - so a little work on the front sight should not hurt.

Outpost75
12-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Original Colts were sighted high. My understanding is that they were intended more to be pointed than aimed.

Install a higher front sight and file to zero.

Correction needed is determined by X = RE/D

Where X is the change in sight measurement to be made
R is the sight radius in INCHES
E is the impact error in INCHES and
D is the target distance, also in INCHES!

snoopy
12-03-2013, 10:05 PM
i=m an idiot. Thanks though

Marvin S
12-03-2013, 10:24 PM
More powder equals less dwell time in the barrel and will hit lower.

Sergeant Earthworm
12-04-2013, 01:08 AM
Okay guys I need a little help. My 44 brass framed revolver shoots consistently high, at 15 yds.

How high?

With 25 grains fffg my .44 shoots about 2" high at 15 yards, not a problem as I just adjust point of aim to compensate. Most of the time I'm only shooting for groups so it's really not an issue for me.

snoopy
12-04-2013, 06:03 AM
It shoots approx 6in high, powder charge doesn't seem to have a great effect. It'll probably never be a tack driver but I'd like for it to be reasonable. My friend gave it to me when I bought his wife's deer rifle. I'll file the rear notch, not a big deal, if I take more off the right side it should move the groups that way, correct? I really enjoy shooting it and the other ML's. It seems to be a lot more relaxing and fun than others, slow and easy. Sometimes I just need to pull my head out.

Omnivore
12-04-2013, 03:18 PM
You can deepen the rear notch all you want and it won't make a bit of difference unless you also lower the top of the hammer (or frame - you don't say what model you have) as viewed when aiming. I'll assume you're aligning the top of the front post with the top of the rear notch, and so it is the top of the rear notch you'd want to adjust for elevation. The depth of the notch may need adjusted afterward, for an easier view of the front post.

Yes; you can adjust for windage a little bit by filing to one side. For the rear sight, move the notch in the same direction you want to move the point of impact. For the front sight, move it in the opposite direction you want to move the POI. For my Pietta '51 "Navy" 44 I installed a taller front post and filed the rear notch to one side. Now it's pretty darned close at 25 yards.

Another way to tackle the problem is to cut a dovetail in the barrel for a new front sight, so you can drift it side-to-side and get it tweaked in really well-- It's reversable, side-to-side, in case you go too far. Uberti does this with their revcolvers, or at least with the Remington I have. Also, some of the manufacturers offer a "target" version of the Remington New Model Army having an adjustable rear sight.

bigted
12-06-2013, 08:49 PM
take a penny in hand. now imagine half of this coin as being on the front of your barrel instead of the low sight currently there. if you cant silver solder then take it to someone that can and get the half penny soldered on the barrel. now dress it up to be presentable.

NOTICE ... i never told you to deface a penny nor any other US currency ... {aint that a shame to feel the need to say that}

now go shoot and take a big ol file with you ... fire 3 shots and see where the group is located. if low [should be to start out] file a few rasps off the top of the coin. shoot 3 or 4 more and see where the group is. dont worry bout left n right yet. keep shooting and filing till your group is to point of aim up n down ... now lets tackle the left n right problem if any.

if at 25 yards the group is within 2 inch,s of the bull i would not do anything except do what the ODG's did ...{Old Dead Guys}... hold your point of aim to the opposite direction of the left n right problem. if you simply cant tolerate the off POI then take it back to your friend and have him "bend" the front sight slightly with heat so that your left n right comes into where you want it to be. yep more shooting.

sides that penny ...er coin... is a cool looking front sight and is thin enough to get a fine sight picture on most things.

seaboltm
12-06-2013, 10:33 PM
I always remember FORS when working with sights. If moving point of impact, Front Opposite Rear Same. So to lower point of impact, raise front or lower rear.

dondiego
12-07-2013, 11:32 AM
"NOTICE ... i never told you to deface a penny nor any other US currency ... {aint that a shame to feel the need to say that}"

You don't have to say that. It is perfectly legal to cut one of your pennies in half. Be sure to use a penny made before 1982 so that it is actually made of copper and not zinc.

Edit - A dime made before 1965 is a good choice too!
Don

1874Sharps
12-07-2013, 09:52 PM
If I remember correctly, the original Colt 1860 models (and replicas) were regulated for 50 yards. Given the rainbow tragectory of their round ball, that makes for a high point of impact at 25 yards or so. I guess aiming at the belt buckle of a charging Civil War soldier worked just fine at closer range.

snoopy
12-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys for all the help.