PDA

View Full Version : Another last Sat with the .475 BFR

44man
12-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Walking to me head on at about 20 yards on the wrong side, branches in the way. Not wanting a pass through in the guts I shot it in the neck, boolit made a large furrow through the neck, between the ribs and shoulder to exit behind the shoulder. Instant drop with the gun for the third time this season. No meat loss and clean inside.
Something about the .475 with hard cast, pull the trigger and the deer is on the ground. No other gun has had more DRT then this one for years. Only the .54 Hawken RB matches it.

Crawdaddy
12-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Way to go! Pics?

44man
12-03-2013, 05:44 PM
I did not take pics, batteries dead in my camera. Stinking nicads failed so need to buy lipos.
Friends tell me lithium batteries last forever.

white eagle
12-03-2013, 06:45 PM
good job Jim

Lefty SRH
12-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Good deal! What was the load? Ive been tempted to take my .480 for a walk.

rlb
12-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Woohoo, the old boy strikes again. Good job. I have one more weekend on my whitetail tag. Maybe the Reeder :mrgreen: gun will get a shot.

Ramjet-SS
12-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Love the 475 the wide nose even at moderate velocities is devastating.

The 475 is what most other calibers strive to be when they are upset.........:)

44man
12-04-2013, 09:07 AM
I use my home made 420 gr WFN--well almost a WFN. 26 gr of 296, Fed 155 primer for 1329 fps.
I water drop the boolits from WW metal.
The 480 will not quite get there but no need, it is a great caliber as is, just find accuracy and it will dump deer the same. The 400 gr Lee should be a great boolit. I used 23 gr of 296 with .480 brass and it shot very good. I don't know how that load would be in a Ruger so I would work up some.
Have to smoke a deer ham today, don't want to hunt for a few days, going to be around 60*. The land owners want more meat. Too warm to hang until they come to help butcher.

Lefty SRH
12-04-2013, 05:08 PM
My boolit is an Accurate 477-420S. It drops at 428gr and im pushing it with 22.0 or 22.5 gr of H110. Very accurate and it somewhere between WFN and LFN. Velocity is between 1100 and 1150 IIRC. And it is out of a Ruger SRH.

missionary5155
12-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Howdy 44 and Congradulations !
Now that makes me wanna get back up north all the sooner and get to loading that 475 Linebaugh BFR. I can see those big fat boolits smacking solid bone body slamming those beastys right down. Anyone tried a wad cutter type ?
Always amazes me how those deer figure out which way to come in to make the shot the most twisted shot possible. Thanks for the write up.
Mike in Peru

44man
12-05-2013, 08:57 AM
I would stay with a WLN or WFN, I am thinking a WC might turn in an animal if an edge gets damaged on bone.
My friend recovered two LBT, 320 gr WLN, .44 boolits in deer. (Store bought.) He hit shoulders and the boolits turned 90* to blow up the guts. One edge of the meplat was damaged.
Even expansion would keep them straight.
A lot of goofy stuff I can't answer, never know what a boolit will do.

MBTcustom
12-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Pics, or it didn't happen (said no one to you ever!)
Good going Jim.

44man
12-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Never took many pictures of much. I went through the phase back with varmint hunting, movie camera, old Bell and Howell went everywhere. Had a 35mm in my pocket in the army all the time.
Now I have an old, cheap Kodak digital that hardy focuses on a boolit. No movie camera. But the Kodak was always dead and I would charge it in the dock, take 5 pictures and it went dead.
I just put in the Energizer advanced lithium in it and it works better then ever. Can't charge them but those nicads are junk anyway, crashed a lot of radio control planes with them.
I went to nickel metal hydride's and they suck.
I have a beautiful Sears drill and light outfit. Two battery packs and both failed. They want $38 a battery and to take it apart and replace would cost about $60.
Bought a cheap Harbor Freight drill, battery is always dead even when recycled.
I just quit fooling with cameras and never carry one.
Then many of my meat deer are small so no brag, something I don't like anyway. I would rather tell or show boolit performance because the boolit is more important and yet I failed to take the camera to show what a boolit does or does not do. Cold weather would have killed the camera anyway.
Now I can test so here is the nice longbow and wood arrow I shot the little doe with, still some blood on the arrow. Don't ever ask how I hit, deer just got in the way! :mrgreen:89631

David2011
12-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Drifting to batteries. . . If they pan out over the next couple of years the Lithium Ferrite (LiFe) will be the best thing since sliced bread for some applications. They hold a charge on the shelf better than any other rechargeable battery. They work best in low discharge rate items like radios, cameras and flashlights but not so well for high discharge rates like R/C airplane or car motors and power tools. I started using them in my RC transmitters a couple of years ago. If they're charged and then you don't get to fly, unlike NiCads or LiPos, they don't need to be charged again a week later. They don't have the charging dangers of Lithum Polymers, either. (Not to be confused with the Lithium Ion batteries in most laptops now. They're far safer that the LiPo.)

David

taco650
12-05-2013, 05:58 PM
If your cell phone has a camera, use it.

Lefty SRH
12-05-2013, 08:15 PM
The meplat on my .480 boolit is approx. .350"

44man
12-05-2013, 08:25 PM
If your cell phone has a camera, use it.
What the hell is a cell phone????

Lefty SRH
12-05-2013, 08:38 PM
What the hell is a cell phone????

Awesome!

44man
12-06-2013, 09:04 AM
I am not only cheap but also poor with SS so I don't want to pay all those fees, hard enough with the computer. Even took to making my molds from scrap. I have a lot of stuff I don't use anymore, basement full of planes but transmitters are old style---crash! Don't want to join a club and pay AMA either. Gas to go fly would also eat me up.
Thankfully cast lets me hunt for a dime a shot. I hunt right here so life is good.
Long ago in Ohio I had farms to hunt all over the state, places in MI and PA. Still have all the camping stuff I don't know what to do with, nice 12x12 tent, etc. Have a 17' Old Town Otca wood canoe in perfect condition hung in the garage. Can't lift it off the rack any more.
Old age is no good. I shoot a deer and look at it for a while, stall because it is more work. I am lucky because I can drive close to all deer but then have to load it, sometimes go for help.
Then I see all of you doing good and it makes me feel good, you are where I was long ago.
I have a good luck friend, old guy I worked with at UAL. He has missed 7 deer this year but every single time he has come over I shoot one, even shot one for him a few times. He is my secret weapon. I can rent him out!

mold maker
12-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Getting old sure aint what we imagined it would be. Maybe we just lived too long.

taco650
12-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I am not only cheap but also poor with SS so I don't want to pay all those fees, hard enough with the computer. Even took to making my molds from scrap. I have a lot of stuff I don't use anymore, basement full of planes but transmitters are old style---crash! Don't want to join a club and pay AMA either. Gas to go fly would also eat me up.
Thankfully cast lets me hunt for a dime a shot. I hunt right here so life is good.
Long ago in Ohio I had farms to hunt all over the state, places in MI and PA. Still have all the camping stuff I don't know what to do with, nice 12x12 tent, etc. Have a 17' Old Town Otca wood canoe in perfect condition hung in the garage. Can't lift it off the rack any more.
Old age is no good. I shoot a deer and look at it for a while, stall because it is more work. I am lucky because I can drive close to all deer but then have to load it, sometimes go for help.
Then I see all of you doing good and it makes me feel good, you are where I was long ago.
I have a good luck friend, old guy I worked with at UAL. He has missed 7 deer this year but every single time he has come over I shoot one, even shot one for him a few times. He is my secret weapon. I can rent him out!

44man,

I understand your reluctance to keep up with technology. However, with the way my life has evolved over the years, living off the grid (or even close) is not going to happen. Keeping it at arms length is more realistic but trying to hide from it is more costly in the end IMO.

I'm cheap too & that's why I don't have a dozens of firearms, high-end reloading/casting equipment and so on. What I do have works for me. Getting older sucks sometimes. I'm only 50 so I have many years to go (hopefully) and I'd like my 25 year old body back as long as I have my current experience and knowledge base.

Congrats on the DRT kill with the 475. Is the pistol you mention one of the ones in your avatar pic?

Hamish
12-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Post 19 is way too familiar for comfort, down to the canoe hanging in the garage,,,,,I am thankful I will get to go this afternoon with a neighbor,,,,being able to read about other fellow's success sure helps!

missionary5155
12-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Hey 44
Trade that canoe off for a kayak. My boys grew up and moved on so there I was with a 17 footer that was heavy. Now I have a 35 pound one seat kayak and wish I had done that when the two boys were still with me. Fishing from the kayak is a thrill. 3 pound bass pull me all over the North Fork River when I am in ILLinois. had the kayak 10 years now (3 trips up north) and still Fun.
Mike in Peru

44man
12-07-2013, 10:09 AM
I loved the canoe, Safest boat ever. Been on the roughest water ever, 40 mph winds, never got wet. I put 200# of big rocks in the front, wrapped in rugs to hold it down.
The most fun was when a friend and I was on a lake in Ohio. Shallow with a lot of coves. In each cove was a houseboat. We would get out from one and tip the canoe over to watch the people go nuts. Then we really drove some nuts. We would put it upside down, get under it and walk past with paddles going up in the air.
The good old days!

Gibbs44
12-10-2013, 09:51 PM
How much for the rent on your lucky friend? Will it include shipping? I need all the help I can get, it's been rough year, except when I show up, no one kills anything.

44man
12-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Congrats on the DRT kill with the 475. Is the pistol you mention one of the ones in your avatar pic?
Yes, but it has done better. Just me and vision.

44man
12-10-2013, 10:23 PM
How much for the rent on your lucky friend? Will it include shipping? I need all the help I can get, it's been rough year, except when I show up, no one kills anything.
Well, let me see, How about a bottle of Jack? Been years since a taste of it!