PDA

View Full Version : Perfection jello salad

Trey45
12-03-2013, 12:02 PM
This recipe may look unappetizing, I fully admit to that. I grew up with this salad being made for special occasions, I make it about once a month because it's just that good!

ingredients:

2 packs of lime jello.
1/2 cup brown vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups of water
2 cups finely shredded cabbage
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup + 1/3 cup of sliced stuffed green olives
1 cup chopped celery

Directions:

Boil enough water to yield 1.5 cups. Dump two packets of lime jello in a HOT bowl and add 1.5 cups of boiling water. Stir to dissolve jello. Add vinegar and lemon juice and a scant 1.5 cups of COLD water. Stir. Place in fridge.
Shred the cabbage, chop the celery and green pepper, slice the olives and mix all together in a bowl, cover and set aside. In about an hour you want to check the jello, as soon as it has the consistency of thick syrup you add the vegetable mix and stir. Pour into a glass loaf pan or jello mold, cover and allow to congeal.

In the early to mid 60's jello had a vegetable flavored jello that we used, but they have quit making it, after a few trials and errors the lime jello produced the best flavor. When this recipe was first invented in 1904 it called for unflavored gelatin and won 3rd place in the Newcastle County Fair in Pa. To this day no one knows what took 1st and 2nd place, but 3rd place is alive and well. I hope you guys enjoy this salad as much as I do. I just made a batch of it today and am waiting for it to congeal!

gwpercle
12-03-2013, 02:59 PM
I remember this, my mom was a great believer of Jello-salads and that cup of raw celery that had to go in every one. Holidays had to have the Jello salads.
I still have her treasured cookbook " The Joy's of Jello" talk about bring back memories of home.
Gary

Trey45
12-03-2013, 03:04 PM
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1454813_621493904574752_1193344134_n.jpg

Ready to serve!

Artful
12-03-2013, 07:55 PM
My mom had a recipe in her book from the 40's for this kind of Salad - been a long time - don't use
much Jello now except to make Mock Cheese Cake refrigerator pie

MaryB
12-03-2013, 11:27 PM
After the last hospital visit you can't give me jello...