PDA

View Full Version : Strange results with Lee 1 oz. slug

mac60
12-03-2013, 09:01 AM
A while back I posted a "gripe" about a certain listed load not fitting in a Win AA HS hull. What I ended up discovering was that the max. amount of Herco that would fit in the hull with the components listed (with a 20 ga. .125" card under the slug) was 16.0 or 17.0 gr. of Herco. I had them loaded up, so I decided to keep them and give them a try (along with another load). At the range yesterday I fired the Lee 1 oz. slug with the following load:

Win AA-HS hull
CCI 209 primer
16.0 gr. Herco
WAA12 wad (with .125" 20 ga. card under slug)
Lee 1 oz. slug (cast with soww - air cooled)

I was concerned I would get a "blooper" and maybe get a slug stuck in the bore... However, the above load produced the following results on target at 25 yds.:

The recoil was about like a 7/8 oz. trap load. These were fired through a Rem. 870 with an I/C choke tube. I don't think this load would be useful for hunting as it's really underpowered. Now if I could get those kind of results on target with full power then I'd be satisfied. The recovered wads (on the right) looked like this:

The wads on the left were fired with a load of 17.0 gr. Red dot with a WAA12SL wad (no card) which gave a group of 5" at 25 yds. I noticed AJAY using a 3" Fiocchi hull, which I do have (but no commander wads). I'm beginning to think the only way to fit a full power load into a hull is to use a 3" hull, so that's where I'm headed next.

groovy mike
12-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks for sharing the results!

jwber
12-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Could be an option for those who shoot 3gun or tactical shotgun type matches.

Be interested to see your groups at 50 yards.

mac60
12-05-2013, 12:18 AM
I'm going to the range again tomorrow, I'll shoot 5 of them at 50 yds. They put up a plate rack at 25 yds., I wanted to try that too.