PDA

View Full Version : Roller Handle advice needed

omgb
11-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Guys, I'd like to put roller handles on my two Hornady L-N-L progressives. It doesn't look as if Hornady makes one. Do any of you know what size the Dillon handles are? I was wondering if they might fit.

broomhandle
11-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Hi RJ,

I like the feel of the roller handle on my Dillon 550B . Much less effort griping the roller, than the ball style.

The threaded section is .545 dia. X 3/4 inch with a step on the rod at 1 1/2 inch the full rod dia. is 5/8 inch.

Can you have some one weld a cross bar on your original handle?
I think the Dillon handle is about $35 now

Good luck,
broomhandle

PS
We have talked on other boards

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-21-2007, 01:17 PM
The Dillon handle can be fairly easily modified to fit a Hornady. The dimensions are different, but it is a fairly simple machining operation to make it fit. I can't remember the details, but the Dillon handle is cheap enough, you can simply buy one, figure out what's needed and have it done at a local machine shop. Won't cost much.

Regards,

Dave

bhawkeye
11-23-2007, 01:53 PM
This was originally posted on http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=250664&highlight=LnL+roller+handle
by Idano. The post still exists, but all the pictures & details are gone. I had saved the instructions, as I might try this on my LnL AP. Anyway here is what Idano had to say:

"I cut off the the bottom 2" of the Dillon handle; the portion that was machined down to fit in the Dillon presses. I then got 5/8" X 18 tpi die from the local tool supplier then threaded the Dillon handle it about an 1-1/2" from the bottom. This gives you enough threads to screw the handle in so that it just protrudes through the knuckle with the jam nut installed. Since you probably already don't own a Tap & Die set I would recommend taking the Dillon handle to your local machine shop along with your Hornady handle to match the threads. The threads are 5/8" x 18 Threads Per Inch (TPI)). Have them cut off the machined portion of the Dillon handle and then thread it up one and a half inches. This will give you enough threads to install the nut off the Hornady handle and be able to screw it into your press so that it just barely protrudes through the knuckle."

Good Luck