PDA

View Full Version : Desiging a mold, looking for input

DX250
12-02-2013, 11:59 PM
I am looking for your opinion of what I have come up with. The goal for this boolit is hunting/woods gun. I was trying to maximize the powder space to get the best velocity possible given the high weight. If I am off in left field please let me know. This will be a Mountain Mold and from what I have heard he will cut it even if it will not fly.

The specs

MtGun44
12-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Possibly not aerodynamically stable at long range due to the extremely large
meplat. Other than that, it looks workable to me. Three driving bands and a wide
single grease groove are good. In my experience, there is no need whatsoever
for GCs in pistol boolits, up to about 1500 fps. Others report good results in
carbines up to at least 1700 fps in pistol cartridges with PB. If it were my design,
I would follow Elmer's advice and make it a PB. Save money, time and fiddling
with the little boogers.

Really this is a hybrid from Elmer and LBT concepts. LBT nose and Keith
driving bands and grease groove, but the GC is definitely not Elmer. Pretty
similar to the Lee design, but with more lube capacity.

It's your design, like they say "You pays your money and you takes your
chances."

Bill

Dryball
12-03-2013, 02:10 AM
I have a mold very similar to yours from Mountain Molds. The only real difference is mine is for my 500Smith. If you like gas checks get em...I like them, myself. This boolit is as accurate as the Leverevolutions I load too. I even used this boolit to shoot bullseye a few times...just to turn heads. :Fire:

FishingFool
12-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Looks exactly like my accurate mold. 46-405v.

DX250
12-03-2013, 10:28 AM
I was a little worried about stability past 50 yds with the wide nose.

I actually looked at the 500 Smith molds as a starting point.

The gas check is more for helping to grip the rifling with the soft alloy that I intend on using. The rifling in my frankin Blackhawk is very shallow for 44.

detox
12-03-2013, 01:28 PM
If I am off in left field please let me know.

Most everyone in this forum is off in left field.

You can order some samples to try from Montana Bullet Works or from people on this site. I do not own a .430 caliber mould
http://www.montanabulletworks.com/44_Mag_U99O.html

detox
12-03-2013, 01:40 PM
IMO you do not need a crimp goove...leave it out. Just simply roll crimp onto bearing surface. That way you can experament with different seating depths. My best shooting bullet has LOTS of free bore or jump to cylinder forcing cone. You really just need to experiment....again ask for samples....people will be willing to give you...post in Wanted section

Wayne Smith
12-03-2013, 02:18 PM
And yes, Dan will cut it even if it won't fly straight, but he will tell you first that it won't fly straight! Believe him.