PDA

View Full Version : AR 400 1/2" steal target

Randy C
12-02-2013, 11:27 PM
I built my new target after we got home with the 1/2 “ AR 400 steal and 2x8s and wood from the barn on the front, I need to fill it up with wet sand to stop the bullets and save the lead. This was an old target I put on it to help show the size of it 21 x 22 inches it will be heavy with sand in it. I have a cart to roll it around. Time for some paint.
89338 89339 89340

CastingFool
12-02-2013, 11:45 PM
That is exactly what I have been thinking about, except I was thinking about making it larger, and using treated lumber, so it could be left outside. I was also thinking about putting in some boards inside at an angle, and making some kind of access panel on the bottom so you could "drain" the sand to recover the lead.

GabbyM
12-02-2013, 11:57 PM
FACTOID for you.

AR 400 steel was developed for and paid for by my old company. WE had the exclusive rights to it for a while. Was developed for use as a screed bottom material used in asphalt paving machines. The screed is the big blade pulled behind the tractor spreading out asphalt on the road mat. We went to a new higher load per square inch of screed and the old AR steel wouldn’t’ last all day. Yes the mechanics replace the plates every night when running open road.

Tried making a tool one day from a piece of scrap AR 200. A less abrasive resistance steel that AR 400. I wanted to profile the piece with a stone grinder with 8 inch wheel. I watched the wheel get about 1/8 inch smaller in diameter then looked at the piece. I’d barely broke the edge. So just gave up on that idea.

Randy C
12-03-2013, 12:01 AM
I have lap siding on the front I can take the bottom one off to drain it and put it back in the top I have a lot of wood from the barn that fell so if it gets shot up I will replace it, I might put a piece of tar paper under the wood. Half of it was treated I used scrap wood, the front is cedar.

Randy C
01-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Sighting in a scope on my 243wssm broke the back off my target, some of the sand must of leaked out, I was sighting my 243wssm in and it tried to knock a hole through the 1/2" steel but it did not make it all the way through it busted the wood out and the seal went flying. I would not of wanted to be behind the steal when it happen. I filled it up with sand and beat on the steal with a hammer until I could get a 1/2 piece of plywood on the back of the target. is there something that would work better then sand to slow the bullets down and keep the led I have a couple hundred pound of 45/70 bullets to shoot at this target I want to keep the lead. I want to keep the led. for next time I smelt.

Jailer
01-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Your best bet would probably be to angle it 45 deg and put a deep sand trap bottom to catch the deflected bullets. If you do that you might want to make the sides out of steel as well. You shouldn't need AR400 like the back piece.

Randy C
01-26-2014, 08:45 PM
I wanted to make this target portable but it is heavy I wont pick it up by myself, I would have to empty it to move it, I guess that's when I would get the led out, I'm going to make a big one for a trailer so I can practice out to a 1000yd's I need to start shooting my 45/70