PDA

View Full Version : knight high pressure .50 cal. red .458 sabots.

johnson1942
12-02-2013, 08:00 PM
bought two boxes from knight. the freight cost as much as the sabots. they really shoot accurately and i want to buy them in bulk. want to play around with extreem long range shooting with them. where can i buy them with out costing so much in freight. i think the price of the sabot is fair enough but the freight is way too much. hope some one has an answer as i really like their product.

johnson1942
12-03-2013, 12:43 PM
follow up: talked to knight sabots to day and they said the shipping stays as is, nothing by post office. so talked to mmp sabots and they have the same sabot and shipping is free. bought 500 of them by phone and got a 20 percent discount. so in the end i paid the same price for the mmp sabots as the knight sabots and the shipping was free. also the lady at mmp said mmp makes the sabots for knight. i hope my info will save someone some money. did shoot the .50 cal x .458 sabots in a custom long range sidelock yesterday with a .459 466 grain cast bullet and the accuracy was really good i just used 80 grains of 2f black behind the bullet. im going to do some long range shooting and see how that goes. the gun has a montana vintage 1000 yard site on it. i know it isnt traditional but it sure is fun.

Maven
12-03-2013, 02:22 PM
johnson1942, You beat me to it as I was going to recommend the very reasonably priced MMP sabots to you and anyone else who happens to read this. The MMP personnel are a pleasure to deal with and the product is second to none. Btw, I got excellent 50 yd. accuracy in my Knight Bighorn with the sabots made for .44cal. bullets + Lyman's #429421 with 80grs. FFg. The RCBS 44-250K was just as accurate at the same distance and using the same powder granulation and charge.

Here's the link to MMP: http://mmpsabots.com/ (I am in no way connected with MMP, but merely a satisfied customer.)

johnson1942
12-03-2013, 02:35 PM
maven, i agree, the reason i bought 2 pks. of sabots from knight was that i didnt realize that mmp made a .50 sabot that took high pressure and a .458 bullet. also im sure the knights were made by mmp. once i bought 800 .50x .451 sabots from mmp and still have some left, they really shoot accurate. the reason for wanting the .458 bullet sabot is i have 2 -1/23 twist .50/s and i want to try the one long range. mmp are very good to talk to and again they have free shipping and give big discounts on bulk purchases. i have a .459 x466 grain mould for my 45/70 and this bullet works very well in the .458 sabot. thanks again

XTR
12-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I shoot a smokeless Savage and the smokeless guys swear by MMP, and MMP knows they are designing for high pressure loads. Check it out. I shoot the short black MMP sabot with my 250gr .451 bullets and long black HPH with my 400gr .450s

I also keep some of the HPH orange around for playing with factory .458 bullets. The only .458 category mold I have is for a 535gr Money bullet and I really see no need to put that into a ML.

bdicki
12-09-2013, 02:19 PM
I also soot a Savage smokeless and I only use MMP sabots, very good product and service.